Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222644 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
I do 5/5/5.  What i've noticed is that if I use the silicon steamer basket, no cracked eggs.  If I use metal, several cracked.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #501 on: January 06, 2017, 02:33:06 PM »
OK, so I ignored everyone's advice, because I was worried about the eggs being underdone. :D

So I did it for 7 minutes on high pressure, and then natural release (I was going to do 15 minutes, but I got distracted by work so about 20 minutes went by and it was all done by then). Only one egg cracked, and they came out perfectly cooked.

The yolks were maybe a shade on the well done side, but that was actually fine by me. Usually I like eggs more on the less cooked side, but I was making deviled eggs and I wanted the yolks pretty dry for that.

Peeling the eggs was easy enough, but not the dream experience I'd been promised. They were store bought, too -- not from the farm.

Overall, I'm happy with how they came out. I love deviled eggs but green yolks and picked apart whites are not my idea of a nice presentation, so I got what I wanted -- good looking eggs with minimum fuss. IP FTW!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #502 on: January 06, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
Since I seem to forget about them when boiling, the IP works well for me.  Plus, i just dump out the water, rinse, and put it away.  Seems to be less cleanup. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #503 on: January 07, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
I still do eggs in my steamer.  It has a timer, so I don't have overbuild eggs.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #504 on: January 07, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »
Made a dozen in the IP this morning, recipe as ℞, except I got distracted and didn't do quick release.  They were perfect.  Tender whites, brilliant yellow yolks.  I could never get them to come out this way when I boiled them.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #505 on: January 08, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
Latest IP fail: my steamed broccoli turned into sad, grayish mush. 5 minutes on high pressure. What happened?

On the positive side, I used the IP for spaghetti squash while I had something else in the oven and it turned out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #506 on: January 08, 2017, 01:49:19 PM »
Latest IP fail: my steamed broccoli turned into sad, grayish mush. 5 minutes on high pressure. What happened?

You cooked it about 5 minutes too long.  Recipes I've seen call for setting the IP to zero minutes.  The cooking that occurs as the pot comes up to pressure is all that's required for stuff like broccoli. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #507 on: January 08, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »

On the positive side, I used the IP for spaghetti squash while I had something else in the oven and it turned out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yep, zero minutes would have been my suggestion. Where did you see 5??? Spaghetti squash cooks in 7!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #508 on: January 08, 2017, 05:29:01 PM »
Well, at least it worked for broccoli pesto.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #509 on: January 08, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »
Well, at least it worked for broccoli pesto.
good use of it!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »
I'm still curious about the yogurt fail. Maybe try it again and check the temperature during the cycle? If it's not working right, I'd return it.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #511 on: January 10, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
Cooked a few lbs of rabbit last night, along with celery, carrots, ginger, onions, garlic and spices.  It turned out well. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #512 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
OK, today I tried one of those one pot meals. I did chicken thighs, pasta, and red sauce. I started out by sauteeing an onion, then I sauteed the chicken (the thighs were frozen). Then I put pasta on top, poured a jar of sauce over, and added some water. I tossed some chopped parsley I had on top. 20 minutes at high pressure and then manual release. I topped with grated pecorino when it was done.

It was a total experiment, based on what I had in the house and a few different recipes I saw online. Just to be safe, I made a frozen pizza too, in case the one pot meal came out completely awful and there was a mutiny against it.

It was actually decent, for my first attempt. I only had a taste of the pasta (I'm off carbs right now for the most part), but it cooked properly and wasn't too dry or too mushy. The chicken cooked properly, but needed more seasoning -- I should have salted/peppered the thighs before sauteeing, but I kind of forgot because they were frozen. So it was a little bland.

BUT I think I have a good general sense of this technique now. I'll tweak it a bit. Seems like a fast and easy way to get a casserole going, and not having to cook the pasta separately is appealing.

My gut is that I will need to learn to cook without recipes if I'm going to use this thing a lot. That's how I generally cook -- making a specific recipe is too fiddly for me for a weeknight. I mostly just throw stuff together. So, this was a good experiment.

DH liked it, the kids thought it was okay. But that's pretty par for the course whenever I make a casserole, so I guess I did fine.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #513 on: January 13, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
This showed up on FB today and is a pretty good basic primer, I think: http://www.citymomsblog.com/blog/top-40-instant-pot-recipes/

Bonita-- now that I've used it a lot more, I am pretty comfy cooking without a recipe in it. I will still sometimes look up a similar recipe on a blog and then use that to go off of for times and liquid amounts. I'm finding that the time at pressure is usually between 30 & 50% of whatever time it would normally take to cook (veggies are the exception). I do like the "cook it all together" aspect and I also feel you get a little more wiggle room in terms of not ruining one thing because something else needs to cook a little longer-- for example, the pasta wasn't disgusting after 20 minutes, even though by all rights it should have been.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #514 on: January 13, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »
 I am still a newbie. And I have not read through all the posts in this thread. However, tonight I tried a head of cauliflower cut up with water 4 minutes quick release. When it was done I added butter and use my immersion blender. Put some shredded sharp cheddar  on it in the bowl and stir it around till it melted. Supposed to be fake mashed potatoes. I wouldn't call it that, but it was really tasty. And I'm not a cauliflower fan
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »
I tried making tuna noodle casserole last night.  I overcooked it a bit, so the noodles were a bit mushy.  I think I had the water content pretty well balanced and it tasted ok despite the mushiness.

I also made lava cakes in the regular oven.  Those turned out absolutely perfect, so I was cool dad last night.   

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »
This thread caused me to drag my pressure cooker out. Pot roast in under an hour!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
This thread caused me to drag my pressure cooker out. Pot roast in under an hour!
yay!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: January 17, 2017, 10:51:21 PM »

Recipe?  I have about 300 pounds of venison in my freezer, in roast and ground form and I need to get creative.

Offline ihop

« Reply #519 on: January 18, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
I made the pressure cooker chicken salsa tacos from Nom  Nom Paleo the other night.  I used thighs and they were perfect - easy to shred and flavorful.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US