Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222624 times)

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2016, 01:40:52 PM »
I just made chili from cubed beef rather than chopped. Don't ask for my recipe cause I don't follow one, but bottom line after adding everything I did 30 mins pressure and it's as tender as if it had cooked 2.5 to 3 hours.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »
How was the liquid level?

That's my only criticism so far.. lots of things are more "wet" than i like.   
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #402 on: November 16, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
How was the liquid level?

That's my only criticism so far.. lots of things are more "wet" than i like.   

I used a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and about 3/4 small can if pumpkin puree, and maybe a quarter cup of coffee. Meat started out as 1.5 pounds before browning. Liquid was fine. However for chili if it was too loose I would finish with some masa harina (or grits would work as well) but didn't need to.
I have added pumpkin to black bean soup. It adds some nutrients and you don't even know it's there. Had a can that the date was just past and wanted to use it up so in it went.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #403 on: November 17, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
I will probably try  a chili just to see. 

I like to simmer and reduce to thicken. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #404 on: November 21, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »
I made yogurt with a (store bought) Greek yogurt starter over the weekend, and it's the most solid yogurt I have ever made...  I was rereading some posts here, and they advise not to use Greek.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #405 on: November 21, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
I've almost always used Greek yogurt.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #406 on: November 21, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »
I've almost always used Greek yogurt.

Me too.  Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt with more of the whey strained out.  No reason why it wouldn't work just fine.  The key to a good starter isn't how much whey it contains.  The key is whether it has a live and active culture of the critters that convert milk to yogurt during the fermentation process. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #407 on: November 21, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
I made yogurt with a (store bought) Greek yogurt starter over the weekend, and it's the most solid yogurt I have ever made...  I was rereading some posts here, and they advise not to use Greek.

I had read somewhere a long time ago not to use greek yogurt and that the stuff with the strongest culture was cheapo Yoplait or whatever. I say go with what works!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #408 on: November 21, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
I had read somewhere a long time ago not to use greek yogurt and that the stuff with the strongest culture was cheapo Yoplait or whatever. I say go with what works!

That is what I was referring to.  Never really believed it, but don;t usually buy Greek as a starter, since it's more $$.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #409 on: November 21, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
I haven't tried it, but I hear the whey you drain off in the course of making yogurt works just fine as a starter for the next batch.  It keeps in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #410 on: November 22, 2016, 08:28:36 AM »
I haven't tried it, but I hear the whey you drain off in the course of making yogurt works just fine as a starter for the next batch.  It keeps in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks.

That is probably true. 

Offline Coyzmum

• Borderline
« Reply #411 on: December 18, 2016, 12:59:23 PM »
Can someone give me their instructions for baking potatoes?  I made some last night.  I googled instructions, but I had to do 12 minutes twice and then had to microwave at the end.  I did four baking potatoes, not huge, but decent size.  I'm just curious if there is a foolproof way to do in IP.  I bought one too.  So far, have only done roast and the potatoes last night.  My DH said if potatoes can be done it in quickly, it will be worth it.  :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #412 on: December 18, 2016, 03:00:15 PM »
Were they cold? (ie were they in the fridge) And how big were they?

Offline Coyzmum

• Borderline
« Reply #413 on: December 18, 2016, 06:43:59 PM »
They were not cold.  I would say they were average baking potatoes size.  I could get four of them on the steamer thing, but it was crowded.  I don't know weight exactly.  I forgot to poke holes in them (as one site suggested). I did not want them cut as we were eating them as baked potatoes with steak.  I put water in the bottom and did 12 minutes and had to do again.  I'm still learning this thing, and I know meri posted about sweet potatoes, and I was hoping someone had a suggestion for time on these.  I used manual, but remembered later that one of the sites mentioned the steam option (or I could be confusing that with something else I read).  It's not good to tell your DH, sure I can do the potatoes when you start the grill without knowing what I was doing.  :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #414 on: December 18, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »
Potatoes are dependant on size,  i find. For baking sized russets, I'd probably start with 20 minutes and go from there. I usually cut standard cooking times in half as a starting place,  but it's usually pretty accurate for me.

I did Yukon golds over the holidays and they took 12 minutes so, it doesn't surprise me russets took longer.

Offline Coyzmum

• Borderline
« Reply #415 on: December 18, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
Do you prick your potatoes before using the IP?  Twenty minutes will still be a good time.  I know it's a learning/testing process.  I doubt I will get as much use out of it as some of you, but I still think I will like it.  I just need to re-read threads and check out some of the recipe sites. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #416 on: December 18, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
IP fail - the slow cooker setting turns everything into watery, flavorless mush just like a crockpot.  :grr:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #417 on: December 18, 2016, 09:25:38 PM »
I have never used the slow cooker feature.

As far as potatoes, yes it depends on the type and size. I am surprised 10-15 minutes HP was not enough. We usually do small potatoes and those are 4 minutes. Sweet potatoes around 13-16 depending on the size. White potatoes is what we usually eat and they are 10-15 size wise. Do not think I have ever poked holes in them. Did it actually come to pressure?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
« Reply #418 on: December 18, 2016, 11:48:14 PM »
I did four Yukon gold the other day for ten minutes and natural release and they were just right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #419 on: December 19, 2016, 12:36:24 AM »
I never use the slow cooker.  Only the pressure setting.

+-SUPPORT US