Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222624 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
I prepared the large yam this morning and reheated it in the MW for dinner.  It was good.

siamesedream

« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »
I prepared the large yam this morning and reheated it in the MW for dinner.  It was good.

Good food for yammering!

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #382 on: October 28, 2016, 02:09:48 PM »
Ok, this is my one gripe about the instant pot. It seems very inconsistent to me. I always do my hard cooked eggs in the instant pot. I always do 5 minutes, quick release, and then cool them in cool water before putting in the fridge. Sometimes they are a touch over done, sometimes a touch underdone but usually fine. This time? The white was not fully cooked and the yolk was total raw. WTF?  :argh: But I have had this problem with cooking other things as well. Sometimes the time that obliterates something barely scratches the surface on the same thing on another day.

Interesting.  When I did the butter chicken recipe that Dag posted, it came out perfectly.  I made it again this week and the chicken wasn't cooked - same recipe, same ingredients, absolutely nothing was different.  I used a meat thermometer and the chicken was at 120 - not even close to being edible. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #383 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48:39 AM »
I made Merigayle's lentil soup recipe yesterday.  It's going to be eaten today or tomorrow.  And the rest will be frozen.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #384 on: November 06, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »
I made Merigayle's lentil soup recipe yesterday.  It's going to be eaten today or tomorrow.  And the rest will be frozen.
did you like it?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #385 on: November 06, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
did you like it?

I haven't tried it yet.  Tonight or tomorrow, depending on what DH selects.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »
I haven't tried it yet.  Tonight or tomorrow, depending on what DH selects.
do you not taste and season while cooking?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »
do you not taste and season while cooking?

Well, if it's in the instant pot, I can't.  I don't taste it before it goes in, and when it's all done, it's no use tasting it until it's going to be eaten. I will taste it before reheating in the mw and adjust if need be.  The house smelled good, so it should taste good. Also, I never add salt to anything I cook, so DH will probably add salt.

Offline ihop

« Reply #388 on: November 07, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »
Well, if it's in the instant pot, I can't.  I don't taste it before it goes in, and when it's all done, it's no use tasting it until it's going to be eaten. I will taste it before reheating in the mw and adjust if need be.  The house smelled good, so it should taste good. Also, I never add salt to anything I cook, so DH will probably add salt.

You have mentioned before that you never add salt.  I don't understand - it is a basic seasoning and many thing are bland without it.  Do you avoid it for health reasons?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #389 on: November 07, 2016, 06:19:03 PM »
I seam to recallthat icecream's husband has some health issues that mean he eats a pretty restrictive diet. So perhaps that is why?

I am a salt addict! I have totally been known to eat it on its own!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #390 on: November 07, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »
I do not eat enough salt according to the dr, lol. I try!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #391 on: November 07, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »
I seam to recallthat icecream's husband has some health issues that mean he eats a pretty restrictive diet. So perhaps that is why?

I am a salt addict! I have totally been known to eat it on its own!

No, he does not.  My last sentence indicates that he will add salt. 

I grew up with a father who had health issues and did not eat added salt.  So, all of our food was prepared without adding salt and that is what I was/am used to.  You still get enough sodium in bread, etc. 

In this soup, I used canned tomatoes and low sodium broth, so there is some salt in the soup from that, but I did not add any salt.  I use lots of pepper.  I had it tonight.  It's quite good.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »
I do not eat enough salt according to the dr, lol. I try!

Why not?  How do they know?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #393 on: November 07, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
Why not?  How do they know?
I have extremely low blood pressure and am constantly told to eat more salt. I use as much as I can stomach, but does not seem to help.

Glad you liked the soup!

Offline ihop

« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »
I have extremely low blood pressure and am constantly told to eat more salt. I use as much as I can stomach, but does not seem to help.

Glad you liked the soup!

Me too. The nurse takes my BP and then looks at me to make sure I am alive.

And I love salt.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #395 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:51 AM »
:)  same here ladies
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #396 on: November 08, 2016, 07:44:46 AM »
HBP runs in my family, but I do not have it.  That is why we had a low salt diet when I grew up.  My brother, sister, and mother are all on BP medication. Mine is actually on the "healthy low" side, but I see variation throughout the day; I monitor it on a regular basis, and BP often increases when you hit menopause.  My lowest readings are like 96/65.  I checked right now and it's 112/64.
I just googled: Low is defined at 90/60 or lower: is that what you all have?  I have never been there.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #397 on: November 08, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Yes, mine is generally at that number or lower (systolic)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline ihop

« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
Yes, mine is generally at that number or lower (systolic)

Me too.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »
Mine is usually 90/60- 80/55.

+-SUPPORT US