Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222693 times)

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #360 on: October 17, 2016, 05:59:46 PM »
Yeah, that happened with mine too. I think because the IP cooks at a higher temp it tends to obliterate vegetables. I was going to try just not cooking it as long next time.

The texture was fine just using a potato masher, except for the skins. Next time I will just use my apple corer/peeler (I forgot I had one because I use it so infrequently) and a potato masher and it will be perfect.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #361 on: October 17, 2016, 07:04:11 PM »
The brussel sprouts were jut ok. Not bad but not super awesome.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2016, 07:44:34 AM »
People keep raving about a brussel sprout recipe in the Vegan Pressure Cooker book so I bought some today and if my refried beans cook in time, I will try them, if not, Wednesday night.

oh, report, please!!!

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #363 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
The brussel sprouts were jut ok. Not bad but not super awesome.

I like the char you get from roasting.  There are some things the IP can't do.  ;)
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #364 on: October 18, 2016, 11:02:22 AM »
I like the char you get from roasting.  There are some things the IP can't do.  ;)
I was actually thinking about finishing them up in the oven under the broiler or something, but was lazy.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #365 on: October 19, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »
I made this with all lentils, no grains 15 min High Pressure, QR and it is delicious
http://citnutritionally.com/butternut-squash-and-lentil-soup/#comment-46824

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #366 on: October 22, 2016, 07:56:52 PM »
Made hard boiled eggs in the IP tonight. 4 mins low pressure, 5 min NR and then into ice water. They were PERFECT.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #367 on: October 24, 2016, 04:58:57 PM »
Made hard boiled eggs in the IP tonight. 4 mins low pressure, 5 min NR and then into ice water. They were PERFECT.

How long total?

On the stove I bring to a boil and then cover and pull off of heat and wait 12-13 mins and then rinse in cold water. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #368 on: October 24, 2016, 05:40:47 PM »
So for me it's about the same time wise as stove top. But I always forget to set the time so it's just more convenient. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #369 on: October 24, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
I tried a sweet potato for the  first time. Wasn't totally done at 24 minutes (split into two) so I nuked it for 3 more minutes and it was done finally. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #370 on: October 24, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
I tried a sweet potato for the  first time. Wasn't totally done at 24 minutes (split into two) so I nuked it for 3 more minutes and it was done finally.
Huh, mine are usually 13-15 minutes. Splitting in half, 8-10 minutes.

How long total?

On the stove I bring to a boil and then cover and pull off of heat and wait 12-13 mins and then rinse in cold water.
It was probably 12 minutes. It was only 1 cup of water in the IP so it came to pressure fast.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #371 on: October 24, 2016, 06:13:48 PM »

It was probably 12 minutes. It was only 1 cup of water in the IP so it came to pressure fast.

Good to know it's an option.   :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #372 on: October 24, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »
MG, I have seen 15 minutes listed most often. I wonder if it's bc keep them in the fridge

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #373 on: October 24, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
MG, I have seen 15 minutes listed most often. I wonder if it's bc keep them in the fridge
You store sweet potatoes in the fridge?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #374 on: October 25, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
I've never had good luck storing onions, potatoes,  etc outside the fridge.  Maybe because the air has so much moisture here? Plus, I have very limited storage room.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #375 on: October 25, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
I've never had good luck storing onions, potatoes,  etc outside the fridge.  Maybe because the air has so much moisture here? Plus, I have very limited storage room.
Interesting, we store them in a cabinet or under a shelf.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #376 on: October 25, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »

"They" say sweet potatoes stored in the fridge have a hard center and an off taste. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #377 on: October 26, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »
Ok, this is my one gripe about the instant pot. It seems very inconsistent to me. I always do my hard cooked eggs in the instant pot. I always do 5 minutes, quick release, and then cool them in cool water before putting in the fridge. Sometimes they are a touch over done, sometimes a touch underdone but usually fine. This time? The white was not fully cooked and the yolk was total raw. WTF?  :argh: But I have had this problem with cooking other things as well. Sometimes the time that obliterates something barely scratches the surface on the same thing on another day.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #378 on: October 26, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
Huh. That is really weird. I have not seen much of that but i make mostly soups/stews/potatoes in mine. Eggs 2 times.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2016, 07:48:15 AM »
I continue to use my regular steamer for eggs. 

The Instant Pot gets used regularly for soups and for salmon here.  I bought a large yam and will try that this weekend.

+-SUPPORT US