Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222632 times)

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »
I like to make a mix of sticky brown rice and barley, you could use regular brown rice too. Barley is full of nutrition and I like the mix.
Anyway trying for first time in IP right now.
3/4 cup barley 1 cup rice 2 cups water.
18 minutes NR

ETA it came out perfect.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 07:49:59 PM by hally »
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »
I like to make a mix of sticky brown rice and barley, you could use regular brown rice too. Barley is full of nutrition and I like the mix.
Anyway trying for first time in IP right now.
3/4 cup barley 1 cup rice 2 cups water.
18 minutes NR

ETA it came out perfect.

that sounds good.  I still use the rice cooker for grains.  It's smaller and it's always on the counter, whereas the IP is not.  Can I program the IP to have a delayed start???

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2016, 08:39:05 PM »
I may try this tomorrow with cassava flour.  :fingers:

http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-grandma-mills-banana-nut-bread/
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2016, 01:27:03 PM »
Banana bread just loaded into the IP. 55minutes on the timer. I totally understand I could cook it in the oven for the same amount of time, but the novelty of it all :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2016, 03:13:47 PM »
Will cut into it when DD is home from school shortly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #305 on: September 21, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
that sounds good.  I still use the rice cooker for grains.  It's smaller and it's always on the counter, whereas the IP is not.  Can I program the IP to have a delayed start???
I don't think so? You have it longer then I do!

Meantime, the yogurt is delicious. I let it strain overnight. OMG. It doesn't make that much out of a gallon but it's so yummy and still less $$ that Fage.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #306 on: September 21, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
I don't think so? You have it longer then I do!

Meantime, the yogurt is delicious. I let it strain overnight. OMG. It doesn't make that much out of a gallon but it's so yummy and still less $$ that Fage.
I got almost 40oz from HALF a gallon! How much did you get for a full gallon? I did a full gallon this week but did not measure it this time.

The banana bread was good. It had a funky texture but i think it was the cassava flour more than the pressure cooking. DD ate THREE pieces already.  :e)

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #307 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:39 PM »
The bread looks fabulous, meri
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #308 on: September 21, 2016, 09:24:18 PM »
I have a serious addiction :D

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #309 on: September 21, 2016, 10:11:18 PM »
 :D
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #310 on: September 22, 2016, 06:27:33 AM »
I got almost 40oz from HALF a gallon! How much did you get for a full gallon? I did a full gallon this week but did not measure it this time.

The banana bread was good. It had a funky texture but i think it was the cassava flour more than the pressure cooking. DD ate THREE pieces already.  :e)

I strained it overnight and got about 36 oz.
I use 1% though not whole milk.
Had dinner with my brother last night who suggested using the powdered milk like Ice Cream does for a bigger yield. Going to pick that up and try it.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #311 on: September 22, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
I strained it overnight and got about 36 oz.
I use 1% though not whole milk.
Had dinner with my brother last night who suggested using the powdered milk like Ice Cream does for a bigger yield. Going to pick that up and try it.

With milk powder, I also use the hand blender. 

I noticed that the IP does a better job at yogurt when I do two 1/2 gallon batches instead of one full gallon.

I made a very simple veggie bean soup in the IP last night and it is quite good, considering that I barely put any effort into it.  Tonight's dinner, with a roll and cheese wedges.

MM suggested, as a flavored threat, to add a pack of instant chocolate pudding powder to yogurt.  It's quite good.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2016, 10:02:47 AM »
With milk powder, I also use the hand blender. 

I noticed that the IP does a better job at yogurt when I do two 1/2 gallon batches instead of one full gallon.

I made a very simple veggie bean soup in the IP last night and it is quite good, considering that I barely put any effort into it.  Tonight's dinner, with a roll and cheese wedges.

MM suggested, as a flavored threat, to add a pack of instant chocolate pudding powder to yogurt.  It's quite good.

Better job as in yield? Because taste wise I am fine with the gallon. And to tell the truth the time consuming to make it I'd rather make more.

Do you have a recipe link for the bean soup? I make a 13 bean soup from the Bob's Red Mill beans, was going to do that soon. I add carrots, celery, onions, thyme and usually use TJ's low salt veggie broth as the liquid. I throw in a small can of chopped tomatoes as well. I saute the veggies first. But not sure cooking time in the IP.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2016, 12:20:52 PM »
The better job has been for me that it is far more solid, therefore better yield.  Yes, it's more time, but it does not add significantly, I think.

I simply took the Bob's Red Mill veggie soup mix and chicken broth and placed it in the IP for 30 min./soup cycle.  Then used the hand blender, and it was ready.  Yes, I would usually sauté onions and garlic and add a few veggies, but I had no time.  Considering this, I was surprised to see that I still liked it.  I have had that 13 bean soup, too, takes forever on the stove top.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #314 on: September 22, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
The better job has been for me that it is far more solid, therefore better yield.  Yes, it's more time, but it does not add significantly, I think.

I simply took the Bob's Red Mill veggie soup mix and chicken broth and placed it in the IP for 30 min./soup cycle.  Then used the hand blender, and it was ready.  Yes, I would usually sauté onions and garlic and add a few veggies, but I had no time.  Considering this, I was surprised to see that I still liked it.  I have had that 13 bean soup, too, takes forever on the stove top.

I usually soak the beans overnight then it still cooks for a long time on stove.
I can probably find a recipe for it. Or just wing it and if it needs more time cook it more. Sure it won't take as long as regular.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »
I made chick peas last night, they had been in a jar on the counter for well over a year. Recipes I could find said 40 minutes but I had to add 10 then 10 more till they were done.
When I was standing at checkout last night there were cans of Joyva Tahini sitting there so I grabbed one and will make some hummus later.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2016, 10:02:26 AM »
They must have been OLD then (who knows how old when you bought them), mine are usually in the 28-35 minutes range, unsoaked.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
They must have been OLD then (who knows how old when you bought them), mine are usually in the 28-35 minutes range, unsoaked.

Well they were old in my house too.
I am not sure where to get beans that aren't old. I do have access to Indian grocery stores, they use a lot of dried beans and lentils. Whole Foods or Fairway have bulk sections, I likely got these at one of those.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »
Well they were old in my house too.
I am not sure where to get beans that aren't old. I do have access to Indian grocery stores, they use a lot of dried beans and lentils. Whole Foods or Fairway have bulk sections, I likely got these at one of those.
I buy them from the bulk section at our local natural foods store and they see fine 90% of the time. I bought some at Wegmans (big grocery store) and they were OLD and took FOREVER to cook. I bet the Indian store would be a god one.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »
I buy them from the bulk section at our local natural foods store and they see fine 90% of the time. I bought some at Wegmans (big grocery store) and they were OLD and took FOREVER to cook. I bet the Indian store would be a god one.
Probably the ones in natural store move quicker

Hummus came out pretty good. Glad I only used two cloves of garlic! I think I would use less tahini next time too. But it won't go to waste.

+-SUPPORT US