Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222688 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
I've read that storing it with the lid facing up,  helps. You can also put the ring through the dishwasher.  Or use multiple rings.

I've also read that putting in a box of baking soda helps.

I don't notice a flavor transfer. 

This time, I used a half-gallon of milk and let it incubate for 10 hours.  I did notice I got less whey and it didn't take as long to strain (obvs).

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2016, 02:34:40 PM »
oh, and last night i steamed brussel sprouts for 1 minute and then tossed them in a pan with some hot bacon grease until the outsides got crispy.  YUM.  I love steaming veggies in this thing.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2016, 03:00:49 PM »
oh, and last night i steamed brussel sprouts for 1 minute and then tossed them in a pan with some hot bacon grease until the outsides got crispy.  YUM.  I love steaming veggies in this thing.
What is difference between IP and just using a steamer basket on the stove?

“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »
I found a kinda answer to my Vit D question
http://organicvalley.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/188

Our Vitamin D is made by processing a sterol derived from Lanolin (sheep wool). While this D3 is obtained from sheep, it is considered Kosher and pareve because the sheep are not slaughtered to obtain the wool. Vitamins are added to our milks at a level of .0001%. Each ½ gallon of Organic Valley milk contains .189 ml of Vitamin A & D. This is equivalent to 2 drops out of an eyedropper per half gallon of milk. Vitamins are specially formulated to spread throughout the half gallon of milk and stay in suspension. Other vitamins such as D2 or other sources of Vitamin A do not have this important feature.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2016, 11:10:01 PM »
I tried the refried beans. 28 minutes wasn't enough. It's so weird that beans take so much longer for me than others!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2016, 07:22:36 AM »
I tried the refried beans. 28 minutes wasn't enough. It's so weird that beans take so much longer for me than others!
The refried beans take closer to 34 minutes for me, did i not add that? I thought I did say that, maybe i forgot? The first time it was 32, the last time was 34. I'd err on the overcooked side anyways because they get mashed anyways.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
Maybe you did meri! We thought they were good at any rate. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
I have made them at least three times! We love them. I like to take a sweet potato and top it with the beans and all the "taco" fixings :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #248 on: September 03, 2016, 06:41:52 AM »
The silicone ring is only needed to pressure cook so it can totally be removed for making anything not using pressure. This would save flavor transfer and $$ from buying another.

Good point!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: September 03, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
What is difference between IP and just using a steamer basket on the stove?

I normally get distracted by 7 other things and either under- or overcook. I like being able to close it and not worry about it.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Chickpeas, 32 minutes, perfect. Made my fat free vegan ridiculously easy lentil soup recipe in the IP for the first time, have made it 100000 times on my stove top pressure cooker. Going to start batch #3 of yogurt tonight. I think I have perfected it. I ended up buying another 1/2 gallon of raw milk, LOL! I think it came out the best.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #251 on: September 05, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
I tried white jasmine rice using the recipe that came with the IP. A bit gluggy. Anyone got a good technique?

My yogurt is still coming out of the IP too runny. It's ok after straining but without straining it would be unpleasant.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #252 on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:55 PM »
I thought you were supposed to be straining the yogurt and more straining = thicker yogurt?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #253 on: September 05, 2016, 09:02:44 PM »
Well yogurt made other ways gets to regular yogurt texture without straining.  Straining is really only part of the process for greek style normally.

My theory on this is that the IP doesn't stay consistently warm enough. You need a nice consistent 110 degrees.  I would try leaving it for 10-12 hours and see if it helps.

Otherwise use cheap, crappy, yogurt as your starter and double the amount. It could also be the starter you using.

I haven't tried rice many times. The two times i have it's beem a bit gluey/mushy.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #254 on: September 05, 2016, 09:26:57 PM »
Well yogurt made other ways gets to regular yogurt texture without straining.  Straining is really only part of the process for greek style normally.

My theory on this is that the IP doesn't stay consistently warm enough. You need a nice consistent 110 degrees.  I would try leaving it for 10-12 hours and see if it helps.

Otherwise use cheap, crappy, yogurt as your starter and double the amount. It could also be the starter you using.

I haven't tried rice many times. The two times i have it's beem a bit gluey/mushy.

Yes, other methods don't need straining as far as I was aware.

Ok, will play around with the starter and the time.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Instant pot?
« Reply #255 on: September 05, 2016, 10:44:18 PM »
I've made good yogurt just by letting it sit in a thermos overnight, so I don't think consistent temperature is necessarily the key to a thick yogurt. I suspect the easiest trick is to add a little dry milk, since so many recipes include it.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #256 on: September 06, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
I've made good yogurt just by letting it sit in a thermos overnight, so I don't think consistent temperature is necessarily the key to a thick yogurt. I suspect the easiest trick is to add a little dry milk, since so many recipes include it.

I have always added dry milk, since I am using 1 or 2% milk.  I would not buy a cheap crappy starter.  They often have corn starch in the ingredients.  I look for plain, non-Greek with a decent ingredient list.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #257 on: September 06, 2016, 08:03:03 AM »
After you take it out of the IP, do you put it in the fridge to set? I just went to strain my yogurt that was in the IP for 12+ hours last night and it was pretty watery, it was whole milk. I think it would have to be strained, though I only put it in the fridge for an hour before moving it to the nut milk bag. I reserved the whey last batch and for 1/2 gallon of milk, there were easily at least 2 cups of whey strained off. That is a lot.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #258 on: September 06, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »
Yogurt strained for 3+ hours. DD complained last time it was lumpy so I whisked it good and it was not lumpy. Wish I had more time to strain it a bit longer but it was stop then or not be home until 7 or later! Lol. That would definitely be cheese.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #259 on: September 06, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
Ice Cream-- the reason for using cheapo plain yogurt as starter is that it usually has a strong culture. Greek yogurt often doesn't have enough live culture to get a new batch going.  But people seem to have varrying results.  What your doing seems to work really well for you!

Natasha,  i think a good thermos will hold the milk warm enough for long enough. It really shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours to set if the culture is strong and the temp is right.  Then another few hours to dial in the tartness.

+-SUPPORT US