Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222600 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2016, 11:35:15 PM »
Yes. I read that the seals absorb the cooing smells, and  some people buy extra seals so that they can use one for smelly foods and one for less smelly, like yogurt.

I haven't noticed it affecting my food yet but I was concerned. Thankfully my cheesecake didn't taste like Rockin' Moroccan. :P

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #221 on: August 31, 2016, 06:36:08 AM »
Thanks Meri.

Question, when I cook something in it with spices, I clean everything thoroughly. However, if I leave it overnight with the lid on and I take it off the next day I can still smell the odors. I am worried that this will start to affect the taste of something like yogurt. I have taken to leaving the lid off and the steaming ring and just putting it back together when I want to cook something.

Have you guys experienced this as well?

For yogurt i just use a big glass pot lid to cover it as you do not need to bring it to pressure. My ring/lid does smell like curry. You can also buy a new ring.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2016, 07:03:02 AM »
The ring does retain smells, but so far I have not had it bleed over to other recipes.  Having said that, I haven't done anything sweet and that may make a difference. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2016, 07:34:09 AM »
My second yogurt attempt is in the fridge. I brought it to 180° after two boil cycles, it wasn't there so did the manual saute/stir method.
Left it for 10 hours. There is a lot of whey floating on surface. Will strain later.

Ice Cream, what were you making yogurt in before the IP?

Boil milk in MW (no need to stir), incubate in yogurt maker.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
So my second attempt came out deliciously tart. I used store brand lowfat yogurt for the starter, made sure it came to 180° and incubated for 10 hours. Strained for two. Ended up with about 1.5 quarts which seems like a small amount for a gallon of milk but way less expensive for $3.99. That much Fage would cost about $10 on sale. I might try 1% next time, see if it makes more.

I am not thrilled with the nut bag. While it did strain perfectly well, getting it out left a lot in the bag. It was a messy process to get it out. Everyone says how easy it is, but tending to the temperature at first is kind of a pita. Then moving from put to a strainer of some sort, waiting another two or so hours, then moving to containers. It is some work but very happy with the finished product.
Need better straining method I think, this will do for now though, bag in strainer over pot in fridge
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
So my second attempt came out deliciously tart. I used store brand lowfat yogurt for the starter, made sure it came to 180° and incubated for 10 hours. Strained for two. Ended up with about 1.5 quarts which seems like a small amount for a gallon of milk but way less expensive for $3.99. That much Fage would cost about $10 on sale. I might try 1% next time, see if it makes more.

I am not thrilled with the nut bag. While it did strain perfectly well, getting it out left a lot in the bag. It was a messy process to get it out. Everyone says how easy it is, but tending to the temperature at first is kind of a pita. Then moving from put to a strainer of some sort, waiting another two or so hours, then moving to containers. It is some work but very happy with the finished product.
Need better straining method I think, this will do for now though, bag in strainer over pot in fridge

This is the reason why I use coffee filters.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2016, 10:50:14 AM »
I got 99% of it out of the nut bag, but I also let it strain for at least 4 hours to make it thick like greek yogurt. 1/2 gallon whole milk = 40oz yogurt for me.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »
I use cheesecloth which works great, too.  I don't have large enough coffee filters, otherwise I'd use those.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
This is the reason why I use coffee filters.

What kind of filters?
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
OK, so if I *were* to purchase an Instant Pot, how much would size matter?

Preferences on the 5qt vs. 6qt model?

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2016, 02:58:30 PM »
*were* <snork>

This is the one everyone said to get back when it was on sale prime day, the 6 quart one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA size matters, we women KNOW that :)

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #231 on: August 31, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
I agree with the 6 qt recommendation. 

Unless you have an All Smiles sized brood.... you'd need two 8's.   ;)
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2016, 06:16:03 PM »
What kind of filters?

this kind:
https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Filters-Natural-Unbleached-Biodegradable/dp/B01IYGHSZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472681607&sr=8-1&keywords=large+round+coffee+filters
the largest size.  I place them inside a colander.  Sometimes I let them sit overnight like that in the fridge.  If it's too solid the next day, I simply stir in some that has not been strained yet to reach the right consistency.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2016, 06:43:09 PM »
If the foot print isn't a significant difference,  I'd go 6 qt.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2016, 07:57:23 PM »
this kind:
https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Filters-Natural-Unbleached-Biodegradable/dp/B01IYGHSZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472681607&sr=8-1&keywords=large+round+coffee+filters
the largest size.  I place them inside a colander.  Sometimes I let them sit overnight like that in the fridge.  If it's too solid the next day, I simply stir in some that has not been strained yet to reach the right consistency.

So multiple straining for one batch

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »
So multiple straining for one batch

yes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
i did coffee filters the first batch of yogurt and used several, i found the nut bag significantly easier.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2016, 09:09:17 PM »
Thanks Meri.

Question, when I cook something in it with spices, I clean everything thoroughly. However, if I leave it overnight with the lid on and I take it off the next day I can still smell the odors. I am worried that this will start to affect the taste of something like yogurt. I have taken to leaving the lid off and the steaming ring and just putting it back together when I want to cook something.

Have you guys experienced this as well?

I made a batch of yogurt that tasted of teriyaki and onions, I threw it out. That day I bought a set of colored rings, one is red and one is blue. I will use the blue one for sweet things (mostly yogurt, maybe steel cut oats, or if I ever make a cheesecake).

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #238 on: September 01, 2016, 01:19:41 AM »
I've read that storing it with the lid facing up,  helps. You can also put the ring through the dishwasher.  Or use multiple rings.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #239 on: September 01, 2016, 10:43:20 AM »
The silicone ring is only needed to pressure cook so it can totally be removed for making anything not using pressure. This would save flavor transfer and $$ from buying another.

+-SUPPORT US