Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222631 times)

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
Yes, I am looking and one lady says this

I’ve been seeing more and more that people are ending up with thin Yogurt and I think I have figured out the problem.

It’s really important that you take the temperature and get your milk to 180 degrees.  Stir the milk first and then use your Digital Thermometer to check the temperature of the milk and it if is not 180 degrees, you will need to do another boil cycle.

There will be hot spots and the stirring prior to taking the temperature, will give a more accurate reading.  You might even need to do three boil cycles to get to 180 degrees.

If you can’t reach 180 degrees after a few cycles, hit Sauté and then adjust to low and whisk continuously (scraping the bottom too), until you get to 180 degrees.  (I like to get to 182-185 degrees.)

It is important to whisk around the milk while you are Sautéing, as the bottom will get hotter quicker and you want an accurate reading and you don’t want the bottom of the pot to burn.[/b

“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
  6 min per pound plus 2 min....natural release.  Falls off the bone and shreds like a dream.  I save the broth and today I'm making white chicken chili with the meat and broth. 

Is that per lb as well? 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2016, 07:20:12 PM »
I found it faster to boil the yogurt on the stove (not boil, bring it to 180F). But yes, I have been using a digital thermometer. Rochey-- did you strain it longer?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »
2 minutes. So a 5 lb chicken would be 32 minutes. So for dinner tonight I made white chicken chili and for the broth, I used what I saved after cooking a chicken, rather than a store-bought can. It was amazing.

Yogurt:  it's straining now but it's super- thin. Logistically it's tough for me to strain a gallon anyway, so I'm going to stick to a half-gallon.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:31 PM »
Yeah 1/2 gallon was a lot, i would have to break it into two portions to strain.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2016, 09:44:13 PM »
I steamed some salmon fillets last night. Slathered some mustard on top. Steamed for 2 minutes. Perfect.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2016, 09:55:17 PM »
Had anyone tried pulled pork?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2016, 08:03:11 AM »
Baked beans need a bit of work. The method I followed cooked soaked beans + sauce for 45 minutes. I did the instant pot quick soak method followed by the 45 minutes in sauce. Not totally done so did 10 more minutes. They are all cooked but some are tough. The long cooking time is a result of cooking beans with acid.  Next time I'll try presoaking for more consistent results. Sauce was nice and thick, which was my worry!

Then I did applesauce.  5 minutes obliterated the apples so next time I'll try 3 minutes instead!
Honey badger I like homemade applesauce, plus greek yogurt, topped with oat bran. You get creamy & sweet. Seems decadent but isn't .

I made eggs in the ip again. 5 minutes and a quick release was perfect!

Then i made minestrone-- small carrot,  1 cellery stall, half am onion browned on saute over medium +1.5 cups of cannelini beans I'd made the week before,  incl cooking liquid (they were cooked with sage, rosemary,  oregano, thyme & garlic), 5 cups stock, 1 can tomatoes, and 2 generous cups each kale and savoy cabbage, + a couple of parm rinds.  10 minutes at pressure and quick released. 

Doing baked beans now. Tried 2 minute pressure quick soak.  I'll report back the results.

I have been eating homemade yogurt with homemade apple sauce and a bowl of oatmeal for lunch for the past 8 years or so, almost every day.  Not much variety for lunch, but I love, it, it's easy to bring to work, and it's very cheap.  Why wouldn't I?

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2016, 09:24:38 AM »
My second yogurt attempt is in the fridge. I brought it to 180° after two boil cycles, it wasn't there so did the manual saute/stir method.
Left it for 10 hours. There is a lot of whey floating on surface. Will strain later.

Ice Cream, what were you making yogurt in before the IP?
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2016, 10:05:31 AM »
Had anyone tried pulled pork?

I know people love ribs and pulled pork in the IP but DH loves to smoke meat.  I am just not sure he would be happy with IP pulled pork.  He smoked a pork but two weekends ago and it was the best I had ever had.   And if he wants to handle the cooking a few meals a week, I am OK with that!  :D
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
I made this last night: http://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

It turned out really, really good. I'm really making a lot of Indian food in this thing. My coworker sent me a link to an FB page for IP Indian recipes, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »
I made a New York style cheesecake, using a saucepan I have with a removable handle that fits inside the pot. It tastes great but I had the hardest time getting it out of the saucepan. I lined it with wax paper. I think next time I'll try oiling the bottom of the saucepan and then adding the wax paper.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »
I made a New York style cheesecake, using a saucepan I have with a removable handle that fits inside the pot. It tastes great but I had the hardest time getting it out of the saucepan. I lined it with wax paper. I think next time I'll try oiling the bottom of the saucepan and then adding the wax paper.
was it an IP recipe? I used a spring form pan for the cake i made and put parchment in the bottom and sprayed the whole thing. It was fine.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »
was it an IP recipe? I used a spring form pan for the cake i made and put parchment in the bottom and sprayed the whole thing. It was fine.

Yes it was, from the Hip Pressure Cooking cookbook.

A springform pan would have worked great but the last thing I need is any more cooking utensils. I live in a camping trailer :D ! So if I can't use my current pots, it's a no go. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2016, 06:07:01 PM »
I bought a 6inch spring form pan 2 weeks ago :D

DH called me at work and asked me how to use the IP, he is attempting potato leek soup (DD's request I guess).

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »
Line the sides also. Then, refrigerate overnight. The put a piecr of parchment on the top also and invert the pan. Should slide right out.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2016, 07:16:54 PM »
Line the sides also. Then, refrigerate overnight. The put a piecr of parchment on the top also and invert the pan. Should slide right out.

That's what I did, exactly. And the recipe was written for a "wide, flat-bottomed 4-cup baking dish", not a springform pan.

My pan has a heavy bottom. I think maybe it stayed cold and the butter in the crust was attracted to the coldness.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »
My coworker sent me a link to an FB page for IP Indian recipes, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Link please?

That chicken looks great.

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
Link please?

That chicken looks great.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotIndian/

I have not made anything from it yet.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2016, 11:10:13 PM »
Thanks Meri.

Question, when I cook something in it with spices, I clean everything thoroughly. However, if I leave it overnight with the lid on and I take it off the next day I can still smell the odors. I am worried that this will start to affect the taste of something like yogurt. I have taken to leaving the lid off and the steaming ring and just putting it back together when I want to cook something.

Have you guys experienced this as well?

+-SUPPORT US