Author Topic: Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!  (Read 31130 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
I've been eating a TON of roasted veggies lately. Lots of flavor and very satisfying. I typically serve them over farro (I cook a big batch at the beginning of the week). Not sure how we're defining "fake stuff" but I also like them with field roast sausage or their quarter loaf (varios flavors). I don't really consider field roast "fake stuff" (it's just seitan with seasonings etc) but ymmv. Lots of flavor and might at some satisfaction to your meals- definitely not a "meaty" flavored product. You do have to be careful about portion sizes though.

This is one of my favorite vegan meals... really yummy. Takes some effort, but so tasty! http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/jamaican-veggie-patties-recipe.html  Spend some time on her site... she's got a lot of really good meals. I really liked her Otsu recipe and one for "big slurp" dumpling soup.

I find mujadarra deeply satisfying: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/lentils-brown-rice-and-caramelized-onions (I would leave out the cinnamon and I make it with unpearled barley or farro).

These are amazing! You can make the mixture ahead of time. You don't have to fry it as described, it's actually yummy enough to eat with a fork- if you were so inclined. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/red-lentil-kofte-with-tomato-cucumber-salad

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
Oh, one more of my favorites that can easily be adapted to vegan... linguine with broccoli rabbe and carmelized onions. If you can't find the broccoli rabbe you can use mustard greens and broccolini. Basically, I carmelize two onions (plan ahead, this takes forever). You really want them sweet and sticky for this dish. Then I sautee the broccoli rabbe with lots of olive oil and garlic. Make sure you boil the pasta in salted water. Then, toss all of the above. This is exellent with really good parm, but you can definitel skip the parm (you might want to add a little more salt). The bitter greens really play well with the sweet onions and pasta. If the lack of protein scares you toss in some canellini beans. You can use the canned ones although these beans are ridiculously good so I make a big pot of them and keep them on hand just for this kind of occasion: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tuscan-Beans-104559

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
I eat a LOT of beans, especially lentils. Would you want some bean recipes?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
I eat a LOT of beans, especially lentils. Would you want some bean recipes?

Sure!  I eat beans almost every day. 

Lotsa good new links here, thanks everybody!
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
I was thinking about you when I made these last night: http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2011/12/rosemary-spaghetti-squash-egg-nests.html I don't really make them as written though. I don't add the egg to the nest... I pan fry them as a pattie and then top with tomato sauce. Yum! I toss an egg in the mix, because I'm not vegan- but you could skip it and I bet it'd be fine.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »
Threads like this are so much fun. I love to see the recipes others recommend.

What is the difference between dal and mujadara?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
Mujadarra is specifically a combination of carmelized onions, rice (except I don't use rice), and lentils. I add in some cumin too. I believe it's of middle eastern origin.

Dhal is more of a stew and wouldn't include the other ingredients, just the legumes. It also has a lot more spices in it and I think comes from india.

In both cases, because they are just general home style dishes, you're going to see a lot of variation in recipes, etc.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
Mujadarra is specifically a combination of carmelized onions, rice (except I don't use rice), and lentils. I add in some cumin too. I believe it's of middle eastern origin.

definitely middle eastern... I don't use rice either, but I've also never seen it prepared with rice

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
I was thinking about you when I made these last night: http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2011/12/rosemary-spaghetti-squash-egg-nests.html I don't really make them as written though. I don't add the egg to the nest... I pan fry them as a pattie and then top with tomato sauce. Yum! I toss an egg in the mix, because I'm not vegan- but you could skip it and I bet it'd be fine.

MMM!  I also liked the idea of the spaghetti squash latkes. 
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

Mini is so smart!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
MMM!  I also liked the idea of the spaghetti squash latkes. 

That's basically what they'd be... but rosemary flavored. Yum! I ate them with tomato sauce. DD had roasemary/lemon chicken, apple sauce, and a couple of these on the side and it got the thumbs up.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
This recipe looks great! And a link to one she makes for spaghetti squash latkes.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
So I'm going to a super bowl party tomorrow with a buncha vegans, so I found this blog post:

The Big Vegan Super Vowl Recipe Round Up

The cauliflower wings look amazing.

and she made them into a pizza with a cornmeal crust. Awesome!

but I don't think that will be potluck-practical, so I'm doing the spinach-artichoke dip

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:44 AM »
I just saw a recipe for buffalo hummus -- sounded delicious and more potluck-friendly. Looks like there are a bunch of recipes out there. The one I saw was similar to this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/buffalo-wing-hummus-recipe/index.html

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
The vegans didn't show.

The damn vegans didn't show.

How could they?

Now I have leftovers. It's pretty good, but still...

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
The vegans were all watching Downton Abby, Luke. 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
Vegan Cabbage Rolls is on the menu for this weekend.

Ingredients
Sauce

1 medium onion, chopped
    pinch baking soda
    4 cloves garlic clove, minced
    28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes*
    16-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes*, pureed in blender
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon salt* (or to taste)
    generous grating black pepper
    1/4 cup raisins

Cabbage and Filling

1 large cabbage
    3 cups cooked lentils (from 1 1/4 cup dry)
    1 cup cooked grain (bulgur wheat, kasha, brown rice, quinoa, etc.)
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon paprika (smoked or regular)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon salt* (or to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon allspice

Instructions

Sauce: Heat a large non-stick pan and add the onions and a pinch of baking soda. Cook until the onion softens, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add all remaining sauce ingredients except the raisins, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for at least 30 minutes as you prepare the cabbage leaves and filling.
    Fill a large deep pan with enough water to cover a cabbage and bring it to a boil. Remove all torn or ragged outer leaves from the cabbage. Use a paring knife to cut at an angle around the core and remove as much of it as you can. Put the cabbage core-end up into the boiling water and cook until the leaves soften and begin to come free of the cabbage; you may use a fork or tongs to loosen leaves if they become stuck, but be careful not to tear them. Remove each leaf and repeat until you have 10-12 whole cabbage leaves. (I’ve also read that you can freeze the cabbage overnight and let it thaw the next day; the leaves will be softened the same as after boiling. I haven’t tried this, though.)
    Place the leaves and the remaining cabbage head in a strainer and rinse under cold water. Finely shred the cabbage remaining on the head and add it to the sauce along with the raisins. Keep the sauce covered and continue to cook on very low.
    In a medium bowl, mix the lentils and all remaining ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste. Dry each cabbage leaf gently and trim the thick rib near the stem end of each leaf.
    Put a cabbage leaf on your work surface with the concave side up, like a cup, and the stem end toward you. Place about 1/3 cup of the lentil mixture near the stem end (a little more for large leaves, less for smaller ones) and mold it into an oblong shape. Fold the stem up over the filling and then fold each of the sides toward the middle. Roll the filling up the rest of the leaf. You should have a nice, tight package. Place it on a plate and repeat with remaining leaves. (If you have some filling left over, it makes a delicious salad.)
    Spread about half of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot. Place each cabbage roll, seam-side down, on top of the sauce in a single layer. (It’s okay if it’s a snug fit.) Spread the remaining sauce over the rolls. Cover and cook on your lowest heat setting until the cabbage is tender, about 45-60 minutes, being careful not to burn the bottom.
    To serve, place two cabbage rolls on a plate and cover with sauce.

#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
there are several phenomenal veggie salad recipes in this month's food and wine magazine (we made a couple for supper last night, and they were superb).  i will look for links...

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord

+-SUPPORT US