Forum > Running

Getting Started: From Zero To Jogger

<< < (3/5) > >>

iwuzwilson:
One thing I forgot, almost a caveat, and a short cut for a more seasoned runner. I've had several long term injuries that have knocked me out from 6 months to almost two years. I always more or less kept in shape so never went in cold (fitnesswise) but starting from scratch as a runner.

Week 1 (time running)
Day 1: 2 min
Day 3: 4 min
Day 5: 6 min
Day 7: 8 min

Week 2
Day 2: 10 min
Day 4: 12 min
Day 6: 16 min

Week 3:
Day 1: 20 min
And from there ready for Week 9-12 on schedule, even accelerated (adding more days per week) if things are going well.

Tim:
I am just starting out again and ran 4 days last week, each run between 20 and 30 minutes. My goal is to run 5 days per week eventually working my way up to a spring 10 miler. If all goes well another 10 miler in the summer and or fall. If you have a schedule for someone in my shoes I would love to see it.

Run Amok:
 :bow2: Thank you for doing this!

nadra's babydaddy:
Very helpful! I wish I had that 'start from scratch' schedule a few months back.    What I did that seemed to work out alright was to work up to 15 minutes of continuous running.   If I had to stop, then I would alternate 2 mins running-1 minute walking intervals.   After I could do 15 minutes comfortably 4-5 days for a week or two, then I bumped it up to 20 minutes for a week or two, then threw in a 30 minute long run on the weekend and started to throw in a mix of 'short' and 'long' runs. 

It's good to put an emphasis on an active lifestyle, where on the days when you aren't running, you're walking or doing something else to get moving.  The other thing I like about this schedule is that it goes by time rather than distance.   It's important when you're first starting to not be preoccupied by pace and just work on getting that aerobic stimulus for a certain length of time.  Also to not mix in speedwork or anything too fancy until you're further along with base building.  Really it's just about logging as much miles as you comfortably can at this point.   It's good to mix it up with some different routes in case this becomes monotonous.   It's an age-old debate, but I've found music to be helpful in this respect also, provided it's used safely (i.e., not in heavier traffic areas with no sidewalks). 

RioG:
 :) :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version