Forum > Food

Holiday baking and other food prep

<< < (2/66) > >>

Courtney:
I'm making chocolate chip cookies RIGHT NOW.  :D 

They aren't particularly Christmas-y, but they are good!  I'm going to make some of my short stack cookies for the holidays, too. 

Mmmmmm...  I love cookies. 

caribougrrl:
I modified a vanilla fudge recipe I found; substituted egg nog for milk, added rum instead of vanilla... it's about the only recipe I could find without marshmallows and/or corn syrup, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I like fudge to have a slightly grainy texture, and this one does.  I don't have a candy thermometer, but had no trouble catching the soft ball stage.

Egg Nog Fudge

500 ml (2 c.) egg nog
100 ml (generous 1/3 c.) cream
200 g (~7 oz) butter
700 g (~12 oz) sugar
2 tbsp rum

combine egg nog, cream, butter and sugar in heavy bottomed saucepan; heat slowly stirring constantly until all the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted; raise heat to med-high and bring to boil; boil stirring constantly until it reaches the soft ball stage (15-20 minutes, liquid dropped into very cold water holds it's shape but flattens out slightly when removed), quickly stir in rum, remove from heat and let cool for ~ 5 minutes; stir until no longer glossy, pour into a greased square cake pan, garnish immediately with grated or ground nutmeg, and let cool at room temperature.

This makes and old-fashioned granular fudge.  Very sweet, but very very tasty.

caribougrrl:
Florentine disaster today.   :nono:

Why is it florentines seem to only work out about half the time?

caribougrrl:
Florentine success:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sourcherryandstemgin_90639

wombleatwimbledon:
I made a practice run of some russian fudge today as I only make it at christmas. Taste and texture are fine but it doesn't look very tidy.  Now I keep snacking on bloody fudge  :fiery: need to find someone to offload it onto

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version