Author Topic: Bagel recipes anyone?  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
Bagel recipes anyone?
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »
I can´t find bagels here.  Well...I did find one store 45 minutes away that carried them, but they were horrid.  So, does anyone have a recipe that they can recommend?
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Toclafane

Re: Bagel recipes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:16:04 PM »
Give me a couple of days and I'll be able to post one - I'm away from my books at the moment.  They're not perfect, but they're ok.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:37:59 AM »
Give me a couple of days and I'll be able to post one - I'm away from my books at the moment.  They're not perfect, but they're ok.
Thanks.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 07:00:46 AM »
are you looking for a New York style bagel, or a Montreal style bagel? or something more akin to a slightly chewing bun with a hole in the middle?

Montreal Bagels - these are dense, chewy, and slightly sweet

1-1/2 c warm water
honey
veg oil
dry yeast
1 egg, beaten
malt powder (like you buy for brewing beer)
unbleached white flour
kosher salt
poppy & sesame seeds

big pot of water
more honey

(I don't have the measures for some ingredients written down, because I judge by sight; the honey in these is more than I would use for regular bread, probably more than 3 tbsp.  About 1/2 to 2/3 that amount in oil.  For yeast, equivalent of a packet (2 tbsp?).  Just a little malt powder, couple pinches of salt.  Flour and seeds are as much as needed.   For the honey in the water, twice as much as used in the dough (more or less), depending on how big a pot it is.)

In a large bowl stir together warm water, honey, oil, egg and malt.  Sprinkle yeast over surface.  Let rest and allow yeast to foam but do not over-proof yeast. Stir in salt and 1 cup flour. Fold in enough flour to make a soft dough.  Turn out and knead dough, allowing dough to incorporate more flour until elastic.  Put bowl upside down over dough and let sit for 10-15 minutes, to relax.

Divide into 12 pieces.  One at a time, roll dough into a long snake (should wrap around the wide part of your hand with a 2 cm overlap at ends).  Curl snake around hand, with the overlap in the center of your palm.  Press your hand palm-side down, firmly, on work surface, and by pulling your hand backwards, roll dough off hand.  This will attach the ends of the snake and twist the dough (to help hold the shape).  Let rise about 30 minutes... you don't want to let them double in bulk (like most breads), just rise until they look turgid.

Add honey to a large saucepan of boiling water.  Preheat a hot oven (about 425F).  Boil bagels in honey water, 45 sec - 1 minute on each side.  I use chopsticks to flip them over, but tongs work alright too.  Place on a rack over a sink or bowl and allow to drain but not dry out.  Dredge in either poppy or sesame seeds, covering both sides, place on baking sheet.  Bake until golden, turning once (12 + 8 minutes usually works best for me).

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 07:24:41 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 07:30:43 AM »
for a slightly chewy bun with a hole in the middle, do up a dough for any bread you like, shape as described, boil in sweetened or salted water before baking.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 04:15:20 AM »
CG, thanks.  I guess I was looking for a NY style bagel, but will try the Montreal one, if I can find malt powder here.  I didn´t know there was a difference!

Online kawasa

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:12:15 AM »
Do they have cream cheese in Portugal?

Offline martiniqueeni

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »
Jan, someone on one of my recipes lists posted a link to this foodie blog.   Scroll down to Day 74 for the bagel recipe.

http://big-chef.com/tsir/?cat=16

Hope that helps!
Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 07:13:19 AM »
Do they have cream cheese in Portugal?

Yes, but we prefer butter.  :)

MQ, thanks.  I think this will be my project for next week.

Offline Sarah511

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 01:15:12 AM »
Jan, someone on one of my recipes lists posted a link to this foodie blog.   Scroll down to Day 74 for the bagel recipe.

http://big-chef.com/tsir/?cat=16

Hope that helps!

I am not a baker, but I made these and they were pretty awesome!! Very chewy (but light) on the inside and crispy on the outside. I think they needed just a tad bit more salt, that's my only complaint. They were really easy, too!!

Offline LeezleB

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
bump
Proud member #85

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
bump

+-SUPPORT US