Forum > Food

Parchment paper

<< < (2/4) > >>

Coyzmum:

--- Quote from: caribougrrl on December 11, 2018, 02:29:13 PM ---

I also use it to wrap things to steam in the oven, or as a layer on top of a dutch oven (over the food, under the lid) to make a better seal to keep moisture in. I use it on baking sheets under things I reheat, mostly to make clean-up easier. I will make parchment paper snowflakes the size of my steaming basket when I steam anything sticky (like pork buns)... the holes let the steam through.

--- End quote ---

Interesting info also.  Thanks!

When we make something like French dips or meatball subs and put them in the oven, I usually put foil on the pan to keep the cheese from making a mess if it melts too much (for cleanup).  Should I be using parchment paper in this instance?  I guess I associated foil with hearty/meat things and parchment paper with baking.

BonitaApplebum:

--- Quote from: caribougrrl on December 11, 2018, 02:29:13 PM ---as a layer on top of a dutch oven (over the food, under the lid) to make a better seal to keep moisture in

--- End quote ---

:!:
Brilliant!

caribougrrl:

--- Quote from: Coyzmum on December 11, 2018, 02:44:22 PM ---Interesting info also.  Thanks!

When we make something like French dips or meatball subs and put them in the oven, I usually put foil on the pan to keep the cheese from making a mess if it melts too much (for cleanup).  Should I be using parchment paper in this instance?  I guess I associated foil with hearty/meat things and parchment paper with baking.

--- End quote ---

you can use parchment... depending on the brand though, you want to be careful at very high oven temps... I think usually it's not recommended for anything over 425C

and don't use it if you are broiling

also to consider: you can clean aluminium foil and re-use or recycle it; you can clean parchment and compost it

diablita:
I tend to use aluminum foil for cooking and parchment for baking

Run Amok:
Silpats are amazing! I wish they could tolerate higher heat. I need to replace mine. I've ruined them by pushing the temps and/or cutting on them.  :-[ Otherwise, you got awesome advice here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version