Forum > Food

Parchment paper

<< < (4/4)

picote:
I’d like to piggy back on cozynums question and ask if there are cookie sheets (aside from the coaster non stick ones) that won’t rust. I’ve looked at stainless steel varieties and am trying to figure out why these aren’t the norm. Don’t do much baking, but do a lot of oven roasting and we pretty much line with foil whenever we use the cookie sheet, mainly because they’re gross.

caribougrrl:

--- Quote from: BonitaApplebum on December 11, 2018, 02:53:34 PM --- :!:
Brilliant!

--- End quote ---

if you have a well-made dutch oven with the little bumps to distribute condensation, the parchment will interfere with that, but OTOH, it does help reduce the loss of liquid IME in dutch ovens with not-quite-right fitting lids..

BonitaApplebum:

--- Quote from: picote on December 12, 2018, 02:27:26 AM ---I’d like to piggy back on cozynums question and ask if there are cookie sheets (aside from the coaster non stick ones) that won’t rust. I’ve looked at stainless steel varieties and am trying to figure out why these aren’t the norm. Don’t do much baking, but do a lot of oven roasting and we pretty much line with foil whenever we use the cookie sheet, mainly because they’re gross.

--- End quote ---

Cozynums! I love it!

Stainless + parchment seems to be the go to choice for my baker friends.

I have a stoneware sheet (probably technically a jelly roll pan bc it has low sides) and it’s terrific, albeit a little heavy.

Run Amok:
So, as Diablita mentioned,  color and material of your baking sheet will affect your final product.

Anodized aluminum is light weight and reflective. It will produce a minimal/delicate crust and minimal browning and is non-reactive. This is best for things like muffins,  cupcakes, and most baked pastry.

Heavier options, like stainless steel will be better for roasting savory items than baking cookies and the like.

Insulated cookie sheets are designed to cook slowly with no crust formation.

Anodized aluminum should not go in the dishwasher but doesn't rust. You should always line it with parchment or something. Ideally,  you would have separate plans for savory and sweet applications. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version