Author Topic: Race Report - Huffin Puffin Marathon, St. John's, Newfoundland.  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Race Report - Huffin Puffin Marathon, St. John's, Newfoundland.
« on: September 03, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »
Hi All,

Off to St. John’s, Newfoundland.  The only Canadian province that I have yet to visit, and along with Prince Edward Island, a province I have yet to run a marathon in.  Trip didn’t start great.  Flight from Toronto was delayed four hours and the stupid airline only texted me 60 minutes before take off that it was delay, so I was already at the airport and through the security gate.  So I missed half a day in St. John’s on Saturday, and had to add extra walking around time the sites I wanted to see on Sunday.

The 67th running Huffin Puffin Marathon in St. John’s is the oldest marathon in Canada, the third-oldest in North America (after New York and Boston), and the twelfth-oldest in the world.  This year it took place on Labour Day morning.  A double loop course for us marathoners and somewhat hilly with the last 6K almost all uphill.  I had done about four hill sessions and actually got in two track speed sessions which I don’t usually do anymore.  Weather in Toronto this summer has really been hot, so a couple of LSD runs didn’t happen or got cut back.  Slight strained my back lifting stuff at work the Wednesday before, and it got slight set back thanks to an overly strong hug from one of my nieces on Friday.  Also dealing with some left piriformis syndrome.

Race morning weather was great, mostly sunny and a cool 50F to start.  Only 70 full marathons, supplemental by four person 70 relay teams started at 7am with about 500 halfers going at 8am.  Race started in a park just west of the city and we ran to and through the downtown waterfront area, climbing out of downtown and around a recreational lake, before descending back through the downtown and up back to the park.  My first half split was 2:02, so no chance of a sub 4 hour marathon time, but a good shot at sub 4:10 at least which would be my fastest marathon in 3 years. 
Not to be unfortunately, temps quickly rose up to the mid 70F and those up and downhills were starting to wear on my legs.  Started to really tighten up with 10K to go, and things really went off the rails the last uphill 6K, progressively getting slower and feeling some shots of right calf cramping.  Had ingested a full pack of electrolyte gummies during the race and was now downing a half cup of Gatorade at the aid stations in the last quarter of the race. Basically walked, more than ran the last 3K.  Finished in 4:27. Can’t find the posted results right now, so I don’t know my placement and how I compare to others.

As soon as I crossed the finish line with a pathetic survival shuffle, both my calves and feet cramped up and I got dizzy.  After about 10 seconds of finishing staff ready to catch me if necessary, I was about to walk 15 metres to the medal table and the basically collapsed in the grass behind the medal table and spent probably 30 minutes suffering through cramping of my lower leg muscles and feet.  Every time I would dorsal flex my foot to relieve my calf cramping, my shin muscles would cramp up and visa versa.  Occasionally my hip adductor, jaw and diaphragm muscles would join in the cramping.  A nice fellow runner offered to get me some Gatorade.  Unfortunately, she came back informing me they had ran out of Gatorade and had brought a cup of water and a small pack of Pringles.  Hopefully the salt in the chips would be enough to help replace my electrolytes.  Finally, was able to manage to lift myself of the grass and toward the baggage and food tent, stopping a couple of times to stretch and sit down on a couple of park benches.  Post race BBQ burger, pasta and potato salad, cookies and granola bars, seem to revive me some more, so I look halfway decent in the post race photos.

Hopefully my legs and body will be okay tomorrow and Wednesday to do some hiking in Gros Morne National Park.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:32:18 PM by Fast Eddie »
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Race Report - Huffin Puffin Marathon, St. John's, Newfoundland.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 09:11:04 PM »
Oh gosh, Eddie.  I'm SO sorry it ended so brutally but good for you for pushing through!  Gros Mornie is fabulous; I'm sending healing vibes.  Where will you be staying there?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »
I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Deer Lake.  There's an indoor heated pool.  Not sure if it has a hot tub. 

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »
Good job on a tough day :obh: :runner: :runner:

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
Way to push through.  Hot weather is the pits.  You wouldn't expect it in Newfoundland, but the climate has changed.  Nice work!
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 11:20:18 AM »
Congrats on another province on your quest. Sorry about the cramping and warm finish. But have heard the area and Gros Morne NP are scenic. Would like to get up there some day.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:36:19 PM »
Thanks for the report.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 08:40:01 PM »
Oh, is this the race that climbs up signal hill?

So sorry you had such a tough go!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
Oh, is this the race that climbs up signal hill?

So sorry you had such a tough go!

Fortunately the race route did not take us up Signal Hill, but we did climb from the waterfront to Quidi Vidi Lake and back up to the S/F area at Bowring Park x 2.

Like they say, "the real marathon starts after 30K." 

+-SUPPORT US