Author Topic: Chia seeds wtf  (Read 8599 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Chia seeds wtf
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:22:38 AM »
I keep reading about chia seeds and how they are an awesome source of dietary fiber.

I had a chia pet in the 90s, but that's my only experience with chia. How do you use them? What do they taste like?

I have seen a bunch of references to chia "pudding" but I'm kind of put off by that idea. I don't even know why, I think I just don't like the word pudding? But imma need more info on that one before I try it, I think.

Chia people, talk to me!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Chia seeds wtf
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »
I take chia pudding for breakfast sometimes... the seeds get gelatinous when mixed with liquid... thickening the liquid to a pudding-ish consistency.  I like the consistency of chia pudding, it reminds me a bit of panna cotta but that's probably because I make it with milk usually.  My better half isn't particularly moved by it.  The seeds are a wee bit bitter, but not super bitter.  I think of it as a good alternative to oatmeal (plus no cooking required).  I mix right in a 1-cup jar: a handful of berries or chopped fruit, 3 tbsp chia seeds, a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg or turmeric + pepper or a tsp of cocoa powder (maybe with a sprinkle of cayenne), top with milk (usually) or coconut milk (rarely), put the top on the jar and shake.  Shake it up again in about 10 minutes to make sure it's not clumpy.  Leave in fridge overnight.

Sometimes I add a tbsp of them to oatmeal, for texture.  Or put them in the topping for fruit crisp (same way I might add a few sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds or flax seeds).  I'm not super into chia, but I like it well enough.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Chia seeds wtf
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
I would use coconut milk, the kind in the can, and cinnamon, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Then I’d layer it in a jar with raspberries and blueberries, with a little maple syrup. That was breakfast for a while.

Also there is a porridge-like thing you can make which has chia and a bunch of other stuff, if you google “noatmeal” you will find several recipes.

I love the texture. If you like pomegranate seeds and fish roe on sushi, you’ll probably like the texture. It’s like a bubble with a seed in it.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »

I love the texture. If you like pomegranate seeds and fish roe on sushi, you’ll probably like the texture. It’s like a bubble with a seed in it.

OK, now we're getting down to it. Texture is something I've been super curious -- I am imagining the chia pudding to be similar to tapioca pudding, which I don't particularly like. BUT I do like fish roe. And bubble tea.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 02:16:14 PM »
What does chia *taste* like? Anything?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »
It's a while since I've had it but I do like chia pudding made with coconut milk (I make it with the kind that comes in the bottle).  I don't remember what it tastes like though; I think it's more for structure and texture.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Chia seeds wtf
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
I did not like the texture at first. You’re right, it’s similar to tapioca pudding. I started adding it to fruit smoothies in the blender and liked it better that way. I was just throwing it in because I had it and it is supposed to be healthy, and I don’t remember much of a change in taste or texture.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:58:04 PM by Natasha »

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
It's a while since I've had it but I do like chia pudding made with coconut milk (I make it with the kind that comes in the bottle).  I don't remember what it tastes like though; I think it's more for structure and texture.
Seriously?  Chocolate with whole milk. Lord, woman.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
Seriously?  Chocolate with whole milk. Lord, woman.

Is that a serious recommendation for chia seeds in chocolate pudding, or just an "ew your thing sounds gross" post?

I'm pretty borderline on pudding so I can go either way on this.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »
Is that a serious recommendation for chia seeds in chocolate pudding, or just an "ew your thing sounds gross" post?

I'm pretty borderline on pudding so I can go either way on this.
Ew. Gross.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 06:57:39 PM »
I make chia “pudding” but it tastes nothing like actual, delicious pudding.

I use 1 cup of coconut or almond milk & 1/2 cup of seeds. Add honey & cinnamon in a jar and shake and chill. I eat a spoonful or two every morning. The texture is weird (like tapioca, but less appealing) but it’s easy to get down.

I just don’t want anyone thinking it’s actually delicious pudding. I eat it for the health benefits only.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
I make chia “pudding” but it tastes nothing like actual, delicious pudding.

I use 1 cup of coconut or almond milk & 1/2 cup of seeds. Add honey & cinnamon in a jar and shake and chill. I eat a spoonful or two every morning. The texture is weird (like tapioca, but less appealing) but it’s easy to get down.

I just don’t want anyone thinking it’s actually delicious pudding. I eat it for the health benefits only.
What health benefits?  Eat half an avocado and a couple of sprouts.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 07:28:04 PM »
What health benefits?  Eat half an avocado and a couple of sprouts.

It seems to be a popular way of easily adding a significant amount of fiber to one's diet. Other than that, I dunno.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »
I find it's great for digestion. The very last part.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 06:31:20 AM »
Not a fan.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »
I keep reading about chia seeds and how they are an awesome source of dietary fiber.

I had a chia pet in the 90s, but that's my only experience with chia. How do you use them? What do they taste like?

I have seen a bunch of references to chia "pudding" but I'm kind of put off by that idea. I don't even know why, I think I just don't like the word pudding? But imma need more info on that one before I try it, I think.

Chia people, talk to me!

i dislike chia seeds - they get stuck in my teeth and then they swell to gargantuan proportion.

but if i have them around (usually because my mother leaves them in my pantry), i will put them in granola, because what the hell - the fiber is a benefit.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
so, because of this thread, I had chia pudding for breakfast... some stewed rhubarb, some almond milk, some chia seeds... I tried to pay attention to what the seeds taste like, and the closest I can come is dry cardboard (but with better texture, sort of... as in, there is texture which is both crunchy and perhaps a bit slimy)... mostly breakfast tasted like rhubarb.

I think I eat them partly because I have a great big Costco sized bag of them in the cupboard.  Partly because I think it's generally important to have seeds in my diet.  Partly because, unlike flax, you don't have to grind them to get at the fibre and nutrients.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 02:36:14 PM »
Dry cardboard is a ringing endorsement!!

:roll:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
Dry cardboard is a ringing endorsement!!

:roll:

but not STALE dry cardboard at least...

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:50 PM »
I used to be able to eat chia pudding but then one day I just could not bear it.  I went a few years chia free and then bought a bag again to try but the pudding is still a bowl of nope for me.  So now I add them to bread like baked goods for texture as you would with other seeds and they taste good that way. 
Because PANTS

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 05:34:55 PM »
God I hate the word pudding.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
Dry cardboard?  I guess I'll keep trusting my gut where chia is concerned. 

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 08:20:50 PM »
Eh, chia is a vehicle for other stuff/flavors. Like quinoa, who the fuck eats unseasoned quinoa?

Sociopaths, that’s who.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
Eh, chia is a vehicle for other stuff/flavors. Like quinoa, who the fuck eats unseasoned quinoa?

Sociopaths, that’s who.

good point... and if you really concentrate on the taste of quinoa itself, it's worse than dry cardboard...

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 08:40:55 AM »
yep!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
Honestly, I do not really "get" chia seeds as a necessary part of a diet. If you like them, great. But I think the most common way to eat them is as a pudding with a lot of added sweetener & fat so I'm not sure chia pudding is superior to other sorts of pudding or even something like overnight oats. To me, the texture & taste tends to be pretty similar to something like bircher meusli-- more like sweet, cold, poridge, than custard.  Also, they are pretty calorie dense and I just do not have a need for calorie dense foods, especially as a transport vehicle for additional sugar & fat, as I am generally a pretty "easy keeper". For me, increasing my fiber via more veggies & a limited amount of legumes & whole grains is better bang for my buck.

I think there is a chia lobby that got a lot of instagram influencers on board which is driving the whole chia thing, personally. But maybe I'm crazy.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 08:54:23 AM »
So I tried it! I did the coconut milk + chia seeds in a jar, with some honey and cinnamon as recommended. It's pretty decent, I don't mind the texture at all. And it has provided some digestive benefits.

How long does this stuff last in the fridge? I think I made too much, if I'm only doing a few spoonfuls at a time.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
Hmm maybe too many benefits...

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 10:40:54 AM »
Hmm maybe too many benefits...

:roll:  Like the time I ate a large bowl of shelled edamame and learned just how allergic I was to soy.  Should have scheduled a colonoscopy the day after.

+-SUPPORT US