Author Topic: Cauliflower rice techniques needed  (Read 13739 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Cauliflower rice techniques needed
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 11:18:03 AM »
Trying to decide on dinner:

https://www.contentednesscooking.com/thai-green-curry-detox-cauliflower-rice/

http://willowbirdbaking.com/2015/01/28/paleo-scallion-pancake/

perhaps one of these.

I made the thai curry detox rice. It turned out yummy but kind of weird. When I added the soy sauce the cauliflower all but disintegrated.  I love both soy sauce and garlic and usually double what a recipe lists but in this case I halved it and the soy sauce was still too much. It was good though so I might try again.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
I made the thai curry detox rice. It turned out yummy but kind of weird. When I added the soy sauce the cauliflower all but disintegrated.  I love both soy sauce and garlic and usually double what a recipe lists but in this case I halved it and the soy sauce was still too much. It was good though so I might try again.
I used a whole head of cauliflower and riced it myself. I am not sure what store bought (if that is what you used) is like in terms of consistency and size of "grain." Mine are about the size of a grain of rice, which sounds bigger. Mine made a HUGE amount of food. I thought the soy sauce was ok but i also probably used a lot more cauliflower. I would try it again! I made it a second time last week and put diced red pepper in it. Will make it again Wednesday. That is my low macro day.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
I used a whole head of cauliflower and riced it myself. I am not sure what store bought (if that is what you used) is like in terms of consistency and size of "grain." Mine are about the size of a grain of rice, which sounds bigger. Mine made a HUGE amount of food. I thought the soy sauce was ok but i also probably used a lot more cauliflower. I would try it again! I made it a second time last week and put diced red pepper in it. Will make it again Wednesday. That is my low macro day.

I actually took a photo of my prep because it ended up taking me way longer than I thought. I grated my cauliflower in the food processor. I had a HUGE head so I used half it, which was about the equivalent of a regular head (4-6 cups I'd estimate). I also added toasted coconut, peanuts, and the tofu.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Huh. Weird that the cauliflower disintegrated. I will take a pic Wednesday!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
Huh. Weird that the cauliflower disintegrated. I will take a pic Wednesday!

It was odd-- it was going along just fine until I added the soy sauce. I might skip adding it next time. Had it for lunch today and it was even better. It's kind of a lot of chopping but I could see this one becoming part of our regular rotation. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »
I use tamari on cauli rice all the time (even over heat) and have never seen it disintegrate.  So odd!  I decided to read the recipe and the author's word choice and syntax are super fascinating.  I assume English is not his first language.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 06:10:24 AM »
Yeah I did not have a problem with the tamari, though cannot imagine it would act any different than soy sauce. I used the 3tbs and measured it out. I will take pics on Wednesday!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

Cauliflower rice:

Guess it is more quinoa/couscous size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »
The several times I've made cauliflower rice, it seemed important not to let it get too wet and not to overcook it.  Real rice can survive a lot of water and a lot of overcooking without totally losing kernel integrity.  Bits of wet cauliflower just turn to mush if you cook them too long.  It's still nutritious, but the mouthfeel of cauliflower paste isn't all that great.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2018, 06:18:33 AM »
I do not use any water to cook the cauliflower rice.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »
More cauliflower "rice" success!

I bought a large head of cauliflower yesterday at the farmers' market with the intention of cutting it up raw and eating it with a yogurt dip for a mid-afternoon snack.  That didn't pan out, so this morning, I grated it using my food processor with the shredding disc turned to the medium grate-size.  I spread the shredded cauliflower out between 2 clean dish towels placed on a large plastic cutting board and put a couple of tile trivets on top to help press out any excess moisture.  That worked really nicely!  I made the following with the cauliflower rice:

Cauliflower Upma

Upma is often made for breakfast or snacks in South India.  Usually, its base is rava (semolina); I typically make it with broken wheat, but the cauliflower worked really nicely for this.  It's not the same as true upma with wheat, but it was pretty tasty!

1 to 2 T neutral oil (I used grapeseed oil)
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 T skinless urad dal
1 to 2 dried red chilis
5 to 6 curry leaves (optional)
pinch of hing/asafoetida (optional)
Medium to large onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 jalapeño, halved lengthwise then sliced crosswise.  Leave the seeds in if you want more heat.
1 ounce roasted cashews
Large head of cauliflower, grated and allowed to dry - about 5 to 6 cups
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
About 1 to 2 T chopped cilantro

Heat oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet; add mustard seeds and cover the skillet while the seeds pop.  When the popping decreases, like 5 to 10 seconds between pops, add the urad dal, red chilis, curry leaves, and hing, sauteing until the urad dal is deep red-brown and the chilis have blackened.

Add the onion, carrot, jalapeño, and cashews, increase the heat to medium, and sauté until the onions are translucent and the carrot has softened a bit.  About 5 min.

Add the shredded cauliflower, stir to mix with the veggies and cashews, and cook over medium-low to medium heat for about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and mix in the fresh cilantro.

Here's what the finished product looks like - not at all mushy!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:55:53 PM by DocBushwell »

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
That looks delicious!!

+-SUPPORT US