Author Topic: Cauliflower rice techniques needed  (Read 13305 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Cauliflower rice techniques needed
« on: January 31, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »
My cauliflower rice is sadness. It's always watery.

Is it even possible for it to come out any other way if you are using the frozen kind?

My food processor sucks and I hate using it, so frozen pre-riced cauliflower is my go to until I replace the food processor.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Cauliflower rice techniques needed
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:36:29 PM »
I have only used fresh. Can you use a cheese grater?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »
I buy fresh, riced cauliflower at Costco:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »
The fresh stuff holds up better. But I have never felt it was anything like rice. I still use it. But I don't think of it as rice. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
The fresh stuff holds up better. But I have never felt it was anything like rice. I still use it. But I don't think of it as rice. But maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I agree.  It isn't rice.  But it's a good stand in.  Same for mashed cauliflower for me.  It isn't potatoes, but if I dress it up with some cheese and garlic, it's good.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 02:03:29 PM »
OK, so I don't think of it as "rice" -- that path leads to madness. :D

I try to think of it as a sauce vehicle. Or a casserole filler. I don't expect it to taste like rice, but I'm looking to get a better mouth feel -- I've read that that is possible, but I can't seem to hit it. And it's because my cauliflower is consistently watery, which wrecks everything (especially a casserole, gross).

I did not know you could buy it fresh but already chopped. That might be a good solution, because I think the frozen stuff has more water than I can expect to cook out.

Hand grating sounds unfun, I am lazy. :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »
So, what they sell as "rice" in the store is chopped up stems. So, one thing you could try is to use only stems. I would chop it in the food processor vs grating, myself. Although it always comes out too watery when I do it myself.

I do kind of like that fall apart/mush texture in some things though-- like an indian curry, for example.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
i pulse heads of cauliflower in the food processor, and then nuke them in the 'wave.
THEN i dump the cauliflower onto a cheesecloth towel and squeeze all the water out.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
So, I just tried roasting the (frozen) riced cauliflower in the oven.

I stirred the cauliflower bits with some melted butter, and spread it all out on an oven tray. After it started browning I added some caramelized onions and let them roast together for a bit, and at the end I added grated cheese. Finished with a bit of truffle salt.

That was pretty good, definitely better than the results I've been getting in the pan. Not watery.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
I buy the bags of frozen at TJ's.  Need to buy some tonight in fact.  This is exactly what I do:

I pop the intact bag in the microwave for a minute to loosen up some of the chunks.  Meanwhile I heat up a big saute pan with either a bit of coconut oil or olive oil.  When the oil is warm I add a couple small spoonfuls of bouillon (if I'm using it) and put the riced cauliflower in.  I let it heat by itself for a good long while.  Maybe 5 minutes.  That gets most of the water out.  Meanwhile I chop other vegetables or whatever. 

Then I generally add in whatever vegetables I want to cook slightly, like peppers or spinach.  Often I'll also make a well in the center and scramble a couple of eggs in there a bit, then mix the semi- scrambled eggs into everything else.  Add already-cooked protein (I'll sautee the shrimp beforehand, for example) and done!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
posted at the same time.  glad that worked for you!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »
roasted riced cauliflower (with garlic!) is awesome! And it tastes about as much as rice as spaghetti squash tastes like spaghetti  :roll:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »
roasted riced cauliflower (with garlic!) is awesome! And it tastes about as much as rice as spaghetti squash tastes like spaghetti  :roll:
Duh, I can't believe I didn't add garlic to mine!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
Ah diablita, I never thought to add bouillon to it. I’ve got to remember to try that next time.

I like to eat c rice with curries. One day I mean to mix it with bagna cauda and eat it that way :d

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 02:24:19 PM »
I bought the freshly chopped in bags and find it goes bad really quickly once you open it so use it quick!

I pulse it in the food processor when I make my own.
I bought a couple of bags of frozen at TJ's but if fresh is on sale I prefer it.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I was curious enough to buy some fresh cauliflower rice (just 10 ounces) at the local market.  Since I was making steamed fish with spicy bean sauce (douban yu) for dinner, I treated the cauli rice w/ a more east Asian influence:

Heated ~ 1T of peanut oil in a large skillet over a medium flame, added minced garlic (2 cloves) and ginger root (~1T) and sauteed until golden and aromatic (about 30 sec-1 min).  Then I added the cauli rice, gave it a stir, then deglazed the pan with ~1T of shaoxing wine, then added about 1/4 cup of water.  Turned the flame down to medium-low and let the liquid reduce while I did other stuff, stirring occasionally.  I think I cooked it about 7 minutes or so.  Although not rice, it was nonetheless delicious, not at all watery and went well with the fish.

#notallprogressives

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
That sounds good, Doc!

So here is something I do with this stuff that I think is pretty tasty. I eat it on it's own but you could serve it along side something if you wanted.

Mix together 1/2 serving of ff greek yogurt (plain)  or 1/2 serving of ff cottage cheese, 46 grams of egg whites, and 28 grams of low fat sharp cheddar. Set this aside

Sautee onion, garlic, 1 cup of cauli rice, and 1/2 cup of frozen spinach (or 1 cup of fresh), + green onions with a little spritz of olive oil over med-high heat until the water is gone and everything is brown.

Mix in the cheese mixture. Turn to med-low and let sit for a few minutes until it's solid and brown underneath.I like to flip it (don't worry about getting this too precise) and let it brown on the other side.

Variations: use a mexican type of cheese & top with enchilada sauce. Use mozz and top with pizza or tomato sauce.

Depending on your ingredients this is low carb, high protein, and low fat.

I also mix cauliflower rice into smoothies. You can't taste it and it adds good body.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
OK, so I don't think of it as "rice" -- that path leads to madness. :D

I try to think of it as a sauce vehicle. Or a casserole filler. I don't expect it to taste like rice, but I'm looking to get a better mouth feel -- I've read that that is possible, but I can't seem to hit it. And it's because my cauliflower is consistently watery, which wrecks everything (especially a casserole, gross).

I did not know you could buy it fresh but already chopped. That might be a good solution, because I think the frozen stuff has more water than I can expect to cook out.

Hand grating sounds unfun, I am lazy. :)

I dislike any appropriation of a name for another product in general. It isn't rice, period.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »
That sounds good, Doc!

So here is something I do with this stuff that I think is pretty tasty. I eat it on it's own but you could serve it along side something if you wanted.

Mix together 1/2 serving of ff greek yogurt (plain)  or 1/2 serving of ff cottage cheese, 46 grams of egg whites, and 28 grams of low fat sharp cheddar. Set this aside

Sautee onion, garlic, 1 cup of cauli rice, and 1/2 cup of frozen spinach (or 1 cup of fresh), + green onions with a little spritz of olive oil over med-high heat until the water is gone and everything is brown.

Mix in the cheese mixture. Turn to med-low and let sit for a few minutes until it's solid and brown underneath.I like to flip it (don't worry about getting this too precise) and let it brown on the other side.

Variations: use a mexican type of cheese & top with enchilada sauce. Use mozz and top with pizza or tomato sauce.

This sounds similar some of the low-carb "pizza" recipes I've seen, like fathead pizza. I have been meaning to try it, but haven't gotten around to it.

I ate an entire head of cauliflower yesterday. Just roasted with salt and olive oil. So good.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »
This sounds similar some of the low-carb "pizza" recipes I've seen, like fathead pizza. I have been meaning to try it, but haven't gotten around to it.

I ate an entire head of cauliflower yesterday. Just roasted with salt and olive oil. So good.

hmm. interesting. This definitely doesn't satisfy my pizza cravings. But for me the bread is a big part of pizza. The cheddar version is a little more like hashbrowns. The italian version is more like lasagna without the noodles or eggplant parm-- or something along those lines.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
That sounds good, Doc!

I also mix cauliflower rice into smoothies. You can't taste it and it adds good body.

Likewise, that looks like it would be tasty!  I'll bet the "pancake" would also lend itself to the addition of chopped jalapenos, cilantro, green onion, and tomatoes, sort of like a high protein-low carb uthappam.

#notallprogressives

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 01:42:09 PM »
Likewise, that looks like it would be tasty!  I'll bet the "pancake" would also lend itself to the addition of chopped jalapenos, cilantro, green onion, and tomatoes, sort of like a high protein-low carb uthappam.

Oh sure. It would be good with any variation of veggies and spices and sauces. I think a Mediterranean version would work well too.

The nutrition program I follow has me eating 20-25 grams of protein, 2 cups of veggies, and a limited amount of fats & carbs 4x per day-- so I've kind of given up on making every meal a masterpiece.

I think if you left out the cheese this could make a pretty yummy scallion pancake kind of thing too.

For reference-- here is what it looked like yesterday

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:44:50 PM by Run Amok »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
yum!

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 01:00:49 PM »
I buy fresh, riced cauliflower at Costco:

I read this thread then went to my local Costco yesterday but all they sell is the frozen kind.  :( I did buy a bag of it, then stopped at my local supermarket to get a bag of fresh. In hindsight, I probably should've just tried to make my own with the fresh head I had in the fridge.
But I have all the ingredients for the recipe RA posted and am making this today. :drool:

ETA: I am currently roasting the fresh cauliflower in the oven with a LOT of garlic. It smells sooo good!

2nd edit: What I got at the store was actually a "hash" consisting of fresh cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, and green onions (mostly cauliflower and broccoli, I think).  I rarely measure when cooking and tend to eyeball or tweak recipes. I made a bigger batch than the recipe and added a 2nd egg and more cheese.
This is sooo good!  I think I could eat this daily. It would be good with sautéed mushrooms, too. And probably a number of other things as already pointed out. 
Now I wish I made an even bigger batch so I could have it for lunches this week. Yum!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:55:21 PM by Honey Badger »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 02:38:54 PM »
Yum!

I made up a "comfort food" riced cauliflower recipe the other day -- I stir fried some frozen riced cauliflower, then once it was cooked I added some left over ground beef I had. Covered it with shredded cheese and let it get all melty, then served with some chunks of avocado and chopped scallions on top. It was exactly what I needed :D.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »
HB-- glad you liked it. As you found, super flexible to your own liking. My ratios are mostly to fit my template but I can see how more cheese, whole eggs, etc would be even yummier! The has you got at the store sounds perfect. I often just do that myself (cauliflower rice + broccoli & green onions). If you want to do more than one serving you could also try baking it in the oven as a breakfast casserole. That is actually how the recipe started but I don't have an oven.

That sounds good too BA!

I had a cauliflower rice thing at Trader Joe's sample table that was really good a few days ago. It had sliced almonds, some kindof green sauce, and their jarred red & yellow peppers. It was super good. I need to see if I can find the green sauce next time I'm there.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »
so much yum in this thread.  scallion pancakes sound good meri

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »
so much yum in this thread.  scallion pancakes sound good meri
I may make the other just because the scallion one had mixed reviews BUT i may make it later this week!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 06:11:39 PM »
I made the green curry one and did not have peanuts, would have been better with peanuts. Still tasty!

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
I was thinking it would be good baked in the oven as I was cooking it, RA.  I will try that next time. The way I made it was definitely comfort food.  I could cut back the cheese to make it a bit less so, but damn, it was tasty!  :)
The fresh pre-riced stuff was pretty pricey for what I'm guessing includes a lot of stalk pieces (I think it was $5 for a 1# bag) so I'll try making it myself next time.  I still have plenty left for another batch, though.

BA, your recipe sounds delicious, too!
I've been eating pretty poorly lately so I really need to get better. This is a step in that direction, even with the cheese! It's better than cereal... 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
I dislike any appropriation of a name for another product in general. It isn't rice, period.

Agreed, but I think in this case, "ricing" is an actual chopping technique so I don't mind the term.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
HB-- I will be interested in your experience ricing your own cauliflower.

I have tried to do it in the food processor and it made a mush/wet mess, even when I was careful. I did see somewhere that using a grating blade on your FP makes for better results.

I can never go through a whole Costco bag. So, I buy the trader joes one. It's a little more expensive than a head of cauliflower but only like 1-2$ more so I figure that is worth not having to do the work our clean-up for me. Although, since I am not working out at all right now, I seem to have a lot of time on my hands.  :grr: I probably should be ricing my own cauliflower.

I think the fact that what you get in the store is nearly 100% stems actually is a benefit in terms of less liquid. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 01:05:28 PM »
I rice my own in the food processor. It seems fine. I am not sure I have ever bought it in the store, so i do not have much comparison. Last nights was not wet.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »
I chop it up, then just pulse in the Blendtec, and it comes out fine.  It's easier to control the granularity if you do it in a couple of batches.  Cauliflower is always going to be wetter than real rice, but you can control that to some extent by how you cook it.  Rather than steaming it, I either saute it on the stove top or roast it in the oven until it browns up a little bit.  I should never talk about food at this time of day.  Now I have to stop by the grocery on the way home and pick up a head.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »
I made the scallion recipe and it is tasty! I roasted the cauliflower rice instead of boiling and mine fell apart so perhaps an extra egg next time.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
we have been making tacos with riced cauliflower (as a meat "substitute")- pretty tasty.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
we have been making tacos with riced cauliflower (as a meat "substitute")- pretty tasty.
I have used walnuts for taco meat and OMFG so delicious.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »
Walnuts how?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 11:18:03 AM »
Trying to decide on dinner:

https://www.contentednesscooking.com/thai-green-curry-detox-cauliflower-rice/

http://willowbirdbaking.com/2015/01/28/paleo-scallion-pancake/

perhaps one of these.

I made the thai curry detox rice. It turned out yummy but kind of weird. When I added the soy sauce the cauliflower all but disintegrated.  I love both soy sauce and garlic and usually double what a recipe lists but in this case I halved it and the soy sauce was still too much. It was good though so I might try again.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
I made the thai curry detox rice. It turned out yummy but kind of weird. When I added the soy sauce the cauliflower all but disintegrated.  I love both soy sauce and garlic and usually double what a recipe lists but in this case I halved it and the soy sauce was still too much. It was good though so I might try again.
I used a whole head of cauliflower and riced it myself. I am not sure what store bought (if that is what you used) is like in terms of consistency and size of "grain." Mine are about the size of a grain of rice, which sounds bigger. Mine made a HUGE amount of food. I thought the soy sauce was ok but i also probably used a lot more cauliflower. I would try it again! I made it a second time last week and put diced red pepper in it. Will make it again Wednesday. That is my low macro day.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
I used a whole head of cauliflower and riced it myself. I am not sure what store bought (if that is what you used) is like in terms of consistency and size of "grain." Mine are about the size of a grain of rice, which sounds bigger. Mine made a HUGE amount of food. I thought the soy sauce was ok but i also probably used a lot more cauliflower. I would try it again! I made it a second time last week and put diced red pepper in it. Will make it again Wednesday. That is my low macro day.

I actually took a photo of my prep because it ended up taking me way longer than I thought. I grated my cauliflower in the food processor. I had a HUGE head so I used half it, which was about the equivalent of a regular head (4-6 cups I'd estimate). I also added toasted coconut, peanuts, and the tofu.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Huh. Weird that the cauliflower disintegrated. I will take a pic Wednesday!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »
Huh. Weird that the cauliflower disintegrated. I will take a pic Wednesday!

It was odd-- it was going along just fine until I added the soy sauce. I might skip adding it next time. Had it for lunch today and it was even better. It's kind of a lot of chopping but I could see this one becoming part of our regular rotation. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »
I use tamari on cauli rice all the time (even over heat) and have never seen it disintegrate.  So odd!  I decided to read the recipe and the author's word choice and syntax are super fascinating.  I assume English is not his first language.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2018, 06:10:24 AM »
Yeah I did not have a problem with the tamari, though cannot imagine it would act any different than soy sauce. I used the 3tbs and measured it out. I will take pics on Wednesday!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

Cauliflower rice:

Guess it is more quinoa/couscous size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »
The several times I've made cauliflower rice, it seemed important not to let it get too wet and not to overcook it.  Real rice can survive a lot of water and a lot of overcooking without totally losing kernel integrity.  Bits of wet cauliflower just turn to mush if you cook them too long.  It's still nutritious, but the mouthfeel of cauliflower paste isn't all that great.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2018, 06:18:33 AM »
I do not use any water to cook the cauliflower rice.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »
More cauliflower "rice" success!

I bought a large head of cauliflower yesterday at the farmers' market with the intention of cutting it up raw and eating it with a yogurt dip for a mid-afternoon snack.  That didn't pan out, so this morning, I grated it using my food processor with the shredding disc turned to the medium grate-size.  I spread the shredded cauliflower out between 2 clean dish towels placed on a large plastic cutting board and put a couple of tile trivets on top to help press out any excess moisture.  That worked really nicely!  I made the following with the cauliflower rice:

Cauliflower Upma

Upma is often made for breakfast or snacks in South India.  Usually, its base is rava (semolina); I typically make it with broken wheat, but the cauliflower worked really nicely for this.  It's not the same as true upma with wheat, but it was pretty tasty!

1 to 2 T neutral oil (I used grapeseed oil)
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 T skinless urad dal
1 to 2 dried red chilis
5 to 6 curry leaves (optional)
pinch of hing/asafoetida (optional)
Medium to large onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 jalapeño, halved lengthwise then sliced crosswise.  Leave the seeds in if you want more heat.
1 ounce roasted cashews
Large head of cauliflower, grated and allowed to dry - about 5 to 6 cups
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
About 1 to 2 T chopped cilantro

Heat oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet; add mustard seeds and cover the skillet while the seeds pop.  When the popping decreases, like 5 to 10 seconds between pops, add the urad dal, red chilis, curry leaves, and hing, sauteing until the urad dal is deep red-brown and the chilis have blackened.

Add the onion, carrot, jalapeño, and cashews, increase the heat to medium, and sauté until the onions are translucent and the carrot has softened a bit.  About 5 min.

Add the shredded cauliflower, stir to mix with the veggies and cashews, and cook over medium-low to medium heat for about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and mix in the fresh cilantro.

Here's what the finished product looks like - not at all mushy!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:55:53 PM by DocBushwell »

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
That looks delicious!!

+-SUPPORT US