Author Topic: National Record Goes Down  (Read 6944 times)

Offline i am party

• The Runners

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
Re: National Record Goes Down
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
WOW!  And she's only a sophomore.  She needs some competition to push her. 
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »
And racing a whole lot -

Ran a full season of XC and won Nike XC nationals (NXN) last December in record time. Immediately they set sights on the is 5000 m attempt. Ran 9:04 3K few weeks age, the 5000 record last week, and then ran a triple (1 mile, 800, and 600) for the county championships this weekend, the mile was 4:42. That's a lot of high level racing for a 15 year old, in what used to be considered "off season" (Nov - Feb) for a high school runner.

Don't know what's next this winter but if the past 6 months are any indicator it'll be one or two big races a month. So I'm on the soap box of these are great times but let's see where she is in 5 or 6 years. 
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »
Pretty amazing.  But, to echo  "Coyote Mas Loco", let's see where she will be in 5 or 6 years.

Online Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:49:42 PM »
Yes, amazing and do wonder if she had someone to push her and didn't have to go to the second lane to lap runners continuously. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »
Yes, amazing and do wonder if she had someone to push her and didn't have to go to the second lane to lap runners continuously. 

I assume she's qualified for the USATF Championships in June, so she'll have good competition there.  Reminds me a bit of Jordan Hasay when she was in HS.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
I assume she's qualified for the USATF Championships in June, so she'll have good competition there.  Reminds me a bit of Jordan Hasay when she was in HS.

She'll need a 15:25 for USATF outdoor or 4:28 mile (4:09 1500) - she'll probably go under 4:35 for the 1600/mile this spring and could also maybe get the standard in the 5, but again if she's doing a full indoor and outdoor high school season and chasing a qualifying time at Stanford or Pre, and THEN doing USATF in late June? That's a whole lot on the plate for a very young runner.

Offline offended by everything

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
Her Millrose Mile performance makes CH posters look prescient - at least for now.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
Yeah, she ran 4:47 and was 4th. A 4:47 is an outstanding time for a high school runner, not to mention a sophomore, but they are getting so fast these days. I didn't view the race but from the splits it looks like she went to the lead and set a fast pace and the others drafted and outkicked her when she slowed on the last lap or two. It'll be interesting to see what she does next--take a breather or right back at it for the remainder of the indoor season.

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »
A 4:47 is an outstanding time for a high school runner, not to mention a sophomore, but they are getting so fast these days.

Her 5000m time predicts a much faster mile.  A few years ago in the local league meet, three girls ran 4:47 for 1600 meters.  The winner went to a national power and is now longer listed on the roster.  The second finisher, who holds two national high schools records is a sophomore at the same national power and isn't competing at this time, but is listed on the roster  The third runner, who was overshadowed by the first two is still competing.  Running fast  times at an early age and competing too often is often like "falling off a cliff".  Observing this quite often is what makes  "CH posters look prescient".

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
Oh yeah, no doubt! More like a 4:32 give or take!
Just saying that in any other circumstances a 4:47 by a sophomore would be like wow!

And I'll repeat what I said the other week - hope she steps back & rests soon, and rebuilds for outdoor track while sticking to a more traditional high school schedule (i.e., done with the season by their state meet in June).

Her 5000m time predicts a much faster mile.  A few years ago in the local league meet, three girls ran 4:47 for 1600 meters.  The winner went to a national power and is now longer listed on the roster.  The second finisher, who holds two national high schools records is a sophomore at the same national power and isn't competing at this time, but is listed on the roster  The third runner, who was overshadowed by the first two is still competing.  Running fast  times at an early age and competing too often is often like "falling off a cliff".  Observing this quite often is what makes  "CH posters look prescient".

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 12:45:19 PM »
Have we had randy scrutinize the video to see if she cut across the track or ran with someone else's bib?   :specs:

I'm amazed at how often we see sophomore and especially freshmen girls crushing it at this level.  But yes, it remains to be seen what happens down the road.  Seems like the young studs who race a bunch often hit a plateau and then don't really get any faster throughout high school - of course if you're already breaking national records it's not a bad place to plateau.  But many land in a good college program or training group and continue to crush it for a long time, like Jordan Hasay and Sha-LAME!  But keeping it dialed up and racing at a high level throughout the winter doesn't seem to do favors for many people. 

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 02:05:58 PM »
Must be why we don't hear from Alan Webb anymore  :!:

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
With the young girls it seems like more often than not you don't hear as much about them after high school because so many get injured, drop back, or quit. And even with top boys, about half of the top HS stars don't improve much beyond that.

What happened to the Slagowski's of yesteryear? (although Slag's only 21, so hope he has a comeback)

Online Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »

hope she steps back & rests soon, and rebuilds for outdoor track while sticking to a more traditional high school schedule (i.e., done with the season by their state meet in June).

When my daughter was in high school, she trained through indoor track (except for her senior year when she was being recruited).  The only fast runs were the Saturday development meets.  Some of the kids she was running against and beating didn't believe she wasn't doing hard workouts.

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
and on the flipside, you have guys like Centrowitz and Jager who (by comparison) weren't as dominant in high school, but are tearing it up now.  I mean they were still extremely good, but not completely throttling everyone else in their respective disciplines.   And to go from eking out a top 10 at XC nationals and being in the mix for the top spots in track nationals to olympic medalists is pretty badass. 

Offline macman

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
How do Grace Ping's times compare?  She ran in the 16's last year as an 8th grader not sure what she is doing this year.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »
Tuohy is a year ahead of Ping and had a big jump over the past year. Ping was a 7th-8th grade phenom and has leveled off somewhat, but she's run some good indoor times already this year. Just not at the record breaking level. Ping had some injury issues last fall and her 7th grade sister ended up beating her, but she's coming back. Family has moved from California to Utah, and now to Minnesota over the past three years. Presumably for the running and coaching.

From MileSplit.com

Tuohy:
1000m (in) - 2:47.86
• 1500m (in) - 4:24.84
• 1500m - 4:18.51
• 1 Mile - 4:45.95 (4:42 the other week)
• 3000m (in) - 9:05.26
• 3000m - 9:30.28
• 3 Mile (xc) - 15:55.30
• 5K (xc) - 16:44.70

Ping:
Personal Records • 800m - 2:24.29
• 1500m - 4:47.56
• 1600m - 5:02.84
• 1 Mile (in) - 4:59.66
• 3000m (in) - 9:43.31
• 3000m - 9:48.58
• 3200m - 10:31.27
• 5K (xc) - 17:17.20

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »
PINGPINGPING!!!

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 11:42:25 AM »
This is a good interview, and timely. Letsrun interviews Mary Cain and Katelyn Tuohy. Cain seems pretty well grounded, whether she makes it back or note. 

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/02/qa-mary-cain-injury-kept-2017-2018-plans-plus-katelyn-tuohy-talks-incredible-xc-season-millrose-defeat-managing-expectations/

If this were a movie billing it would be:

CAIN - TOUHY

+-SUPPORT US