Author Topic: August resolutions thread.  (Read 17955 times)

siamesedream

Re: August resolutions thread.
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
Hey, did I tell you I went to a baseball game? It wasn't awful. It was boring, but not awful. ;)

Juega al beisbol!

Me Spanish is impeccable!

siamesedream

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
Make sure to scold him in a patronizing tone. I think that always plays well. :D

We need High Sparrow!

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 04:01:10 PM »
Juega al beisbol!

Me Spanish is impeccable!
Jouer au baseball. It's Canada, hoser!
One of the fun things is, everyone in Ottawa was completely bilingual (I'm sure there are plenty of Francophones in TO, but Quebec is right across the Ottawa river). Sometimes I spoke French just to see if I could converse without getting stumped. I was mostly successful (I threw in the towel during the security check before touring Parliament. The guy was just too fast and using terms I didn't know. But he was good humored and really nice when I requested anglais, s.v.p. He liked that an American was speaking French to him :D ).

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
We need High Sparrow!
:D
JohnCort and I had a whole "CH as Alice in Wonderland" thing. Maybe there should be "CH as Westeros." :D

siamesedream

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »
JohnCort and I had a whole "CH as Alice in Wonderland" thing. Maybe there should be "CH as Westeros." :D

I remembah.

Did you watch GoT from the beginning, or did you catch on in later seasons and marathon? I started watching at the tail end of season 2, I was watching before it was cool to watch!

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »
I remembah.

Did you watch GoT from the beginning, or did you catch on in later seasons and marathon? I started watching at the tail end of season 2, I was watching before it was cool to watch!
I think it started in 2010? I had read the first three books (and before those, a bunch of other GRRM fiction) before anyone but virgin nerds liked him. ;)
I caught part of the first episode while channel-surfing when I was perpetually sick after my kid started daycare. :D
I thought it'd be awful, it wouldn't live up to the books, and the bearded dudes would all look alike to me. But I started watching in the first season. I typically can't stay up late enough for the first-airings, so I've always watched it on-demand.

siamesedream

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
I think it started in 2010? I had read the first three books (and before those, a bunch of other GRRM fiction) before anyone but virgin nerds liked him. ;)
I caught part of the first episode while channel-surfing when I was perpetually sick after my kid started daycare. :D
I thought it'd be awful, it wouldn't live up to the books, and the bearded dudes would all look alike to me. But I started watching in the first season. I typically can't stay up late enough for the first-airings, so I've always watched it on-demand.

I wonder if the book series will end very differently than the Teevee show. I've never read GRRM.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »
I wonder if the book series will end very differently than the Teevee show. I've never read GRRM.
He's great! The first season was very true to the books, and then there was some divergence thereafter (not to me, but uber-nerds objected to minutiae, much as some Tolkien fans had a coronary at, like, the absence of Tom Bombadil in the movies. I loved Tom, but bitch, please!). These last couple seasons have gone beyond what's in his books and, while I think he's given input on his overall vision, the storytelling is (of necessity) tighter than his.
He's got other good books, too--novels and short stories. I'd recommend those, so you're not constantly comparing books to TV.  Plus, I think he'll die before he finishes the books. He doesn't look like a health nut. :D

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »
Speaking of GoT nerd-dom--do you ever read "Ask the Maester" on The Ringer?
It's good, but the guy has paid an incredible amount of attention to the history of Westeros (and other lands). He's impressive, but I lack the energy to that fully immerse myself in any other world, be it westeros, hogwarts, or middle earth. :D

siamesedream

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
Speaking of GoT nerd-dom--do you ever read "Ask the Maester" on The Ringer?
It's good, but the guy has paid an incredible amount of attention to the history of Westeros (and other lands). He's impressive, but I lack the energy to that fully immerse myself in any other world, be it westeros, hogwarts, or middle earth. :D

I read it, it's obvious that he's a Millennial because the nerd factor is very high. I tend to skim because there's just too much detail about the history of GoT. I don't really care about what happened in Westeros 3,000 years ago. :D

ZiggyStardust

August resolutions thread.
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 04:56:27 PM »
I read it, it's obvious that he's a Millennial because the nerd factor is very high. I tend to skim because there's just too much detail about the history of GoT. I don't really care about what happened in Westeros 3,000 years ago. :D
I skim the deep-dive stuff. It's no different than my neighbor who's my age but knows all kinds of obscure stuff about Middle Earth. True geekdom knows no age. :D

But I frikkin love Euron! :D

siamesedream

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
I skim the deep-dive stuff. It's no different than my neighbor who's my age but knows all kinds of obscure stuff about Middle Earth. True geekdom knows no age. :D

But I frikkin love Euron! :D

A new villain for a new season! Last year it was bastard Ramsey. Cersai and the WW are always the ultimate evil, but it seems like the show likes to create a lesser bad guy for each season. A bad guy that they can kill off in the penultimate episode.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »
A new villain for a new season! Last year it was bastard Ramsey. Cersai and the WW are always the ultimate evil, but it seems like the show likes to create a lesser bad guy for each season. A bad guy that they can kill off in the penultimate episode.
Ramsay was sexy, but Euron ups the camp level. I'd do either of 'em! ;)

siamesedream

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
Ramsay was sexy, but Euron ups the camp level. I'd do either of 'em! ;)

How very naughty of you!

Shame Shame Shame!  ;)

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »
How very naughty of you!

Shame Shame Shame!  ;)
[insert JohnCort Septa Mordane gif]

You'd think Cersei's hair would've grown out into a suburban mom bob by now... ;)

siamesedream

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
[insert JohnCort Septa Mordane gif]

You'd think Cersei's hair would've grown out into a suburban mom bob by now... ;)

I think the short hair works for her. It's grown out some. Qyburn does her hair. :D

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
I think the short hair works for her. It's grown out some. Qyburn does her hair. :D
I prefer Dany's fancy wig! I wouldn't have the patience to get my hair done up like that daily! :D

siamesedream

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:52 AM »
I prefer Dany's fancy wig! I wouldn't have the patience to get my hair done up like that daily! :D

Does the actress who plays Cersei wear a wig? Like, she has her real hair pinned under the "short" hair?

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
Does the actress who plays Cersei wear a wig? Like, she has her real hair pinned under the "short" hair?
I think so, actually. I know it was a wig when she was originally shorn.

Varys (I forget the actor's name--Conleth Hill?) looks very different *with* hair! :D

siamesedream

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »
I think so, actually. I know it was a wig when she was originally shorn.

Varys (I forget the actor's name--Conleth Hill?) looks very different *with* hair! :D

He seems like a natural baldy. 

+-SUPPORT US