Author Topic: Thanksgiving recipe thread  (Read 8746 times)

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Thanksgiving recipe thread
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »
Anyone want to share a favorite recipe or a new one you're trying this year?  Or are they all closely-guarded family secrets you'll take to your grave?  :D

I'm bringing yams, and am considering trying this recipe:
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/holiday_spiced_sweet_potatoes_yams/

Ingredients
3 to 4 pounds red-fleshed sweet potatoes (yams)
1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
4 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 teaspoons orange zest
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

No marshmallows for me!!

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Thanksgiving recipe thread
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:57:02 AM »
Gbc, recipe is on the fried onion box...

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
Bonita, that looks yummy.
The sweet potatoes look great too, but my family is happy with them just baked.
For my family, we do really simple. Roasted veggies, brussels sprouts, turnips, some type of squash then might steam and saute green beans with garlic and throw a few sweet potatoes in the oven to bake.
Mom makes a basic fresh cranberry sauce and a salad with mango, strawberries, sliced almonds and balsamic vinagrette. It's more than enough food and except for the gravy and stuffing none of it is guilt inducing.
I make soup the following morning out of the carcass. That is always a huge hit.
ETA my Mom, myself and brother's GF are conscious of not eating fatty stuff is why we avoid the butter, biscuits, mashed potatoes, cream. Brother while vegetarian doesn't watch too much on fat and Maggie's DD has a good appetite (19) and eats whatever is there. Mom used to always make pecan pie till we all didn't really eat much of it anymore so now it's just a pumpkin one.

I am going to a friends get together on Saturday where she does the whole turkey dinner. Last year I brought Nigella's clementine cake. Still have not decided what to bring this time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:54:09 AM by hally »
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
We already had Thanksgiving up here in Canada, but I plan to make beetroot pie sometime around American Thanksgiving for a dinner party I am going to.  Essentially, I use a pumpkin pie recipe but substitute pureed roasted beets for the pumpkin and use cardamom & rose water instead of pumpkin pie spices.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
I need a good bundt recipe.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 05:16:10 PM »
I'm bringing this:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/butternut-squash-and-creamed-spinach-gratin-236374

Everyone loves it when I make it.

i make a similar recipe, but it calls for parsnips instead of squash.  so good.  i *could* eat the whole thing by myself - in the spirit of thanksgiving, i suppose i'll share.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
We already had Thanksgiving up here in Canada, but I plan to make beetroot pie sometime around American Thanksgiving for a dinner party I am going to.  Essentially, I use a pumpkin pie recipe but substitute pureed roasted beets for the pumpkin and use cardamom & rose water instead of pumpkin pie spices.

oooo.  do you serve with any kind of topping?  i imagine it would be delicious with a dollop of crème fraîche or mascarpone.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »
oooo.  do you serve with any kind of topping?  i imagine it would be delicious with a dollop of crème fraîche or mascarpone.

This was exactly my question. Inquiring minds must know!

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
This is my favorite thing to make and I LOVE it but not everyone does. I just can't get enough of it

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2011/11/sweet-potato-salad-cranberries-and.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+HomesickTexan+(Homesick+Texan)

That sounds delicious to me!

And this sounds beautiful! 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 04:31:06 AM »

I've never made a topping for it BUT I am toying with the idea of cream whipped with some orange blossom water... now I'm thinking I may have to try mascarpone with orange blossom water

a few toasted and chopped pistachios might not go amiss either...

Offline caribougrrl

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
OMG, I'm totally doing this one.
it is sooooo good
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 11:14:13 AM »
This is my favorite thing to make and I LOVE it but not everyone does. I just can't get enough of it

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2011/11/sweet-potato-salad-cranberries-and.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+HomesickTexan+(Homesick+Texan)

So, I made this.  Meri, have you ever served it warm? 

I tasted it after I mixed it all up and it was incredible.  I can't say I cared that much for it after it was chilled. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »
So, I made this.  Meri, have you ever served it warm? 

I tasted it after I mixed it all up and it was incredible.  I can't say I cared that much for it after it was chilled.
Room temp or cold. I love it! Usually room temp though due to traveling with it.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 11:54:56 AM »
Room temp or cold. I love it! Usually room temp though due to traveling with it.

I'm going to have to experiment with it warm or room temp.  It really is good! 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
I'm going to have to experiment with it warm or room temp.  It really is good!
Glad you liked it :)

+-SUPPORT US