Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221227 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »
My only appliance that I should not have bought is an ice cream maker.  Complete waste of $$.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2016, 05:18:36 PM »
I used Ice Cream's yogurt recipe and it came out perfect.  It was pretty think so straining wasn't necessary but I did it anyways.

Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »
My only appliance that I should not have bought is an ice cream maker.  Complete waste of $$.
We use it a few times a year, so almost useless.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »
I had an ice cream maker years ago and barely used it.  It didn't make the move.  We have a paleta-maker and a yonana (froyo from frozen bananas and other fruit) and use those a bit, though not this summer.

I caved and bought the IP.  I have a rice maker and crockpot we were gifted (not from a registry -- both generous and thoughtful but not anything I'd want) and never use.  But this I might like.  I'm also limited for counter space. oh well
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2016, 06:49:08 AM »
I make banana ice cream in the vita mix. What is a paleta maker?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2016, 07:57:34 AM »
I had an ice cream maker years ago and barely used it.  It didn't make the move.  We have a paleta-maker and a yonana (froyo from frozen bananas and other fruit) and use those a bit, though not this summer.

I caved and bought the IP.  I have a rice maker and crockpot we were gifted (not from a registry -- both generous and thoughtful but not anything I'd want) and never use.  But this I might like.  I'm also limited for counter space. oh well

I have a steamer, a crockpot, and a rice cooker.  Three things that are duplicated in the IP.  But I love my zojirushi rice maker and use that at least every other day.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »

funny, my ice cream maker broke and I really miss it... it will definitely be replaced

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »
I got mine on deal of the day too. A tiny bit bummed that I didn't notice it isn't the variety with a yogurt option. But, oh well. I'm most excited for things like beans, sweet potatoes, this cabbage hash thing that takers forever to cook, apple sauce, baked beans, lentil soup-- that kind of thing. Now to find somewhere for it to live!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
I got mine on deal of the day too. A tiny bit bummed that I didn't notice it isn't the variety with a yogurt option. But, oh well. I'm most excited for things like beans, sweet potatoes, this cabbage hash thing that takers forever to cook, apple sauce, baked beans, lentil soup-- that kind of thing. Now to find somewhere for it to live!
sweet potatoes has been the highlight so far for me :D Check out Jill Nussinow's cookbook, I got it from the library and just purchased it on amazon.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
I could have written your post, RA!  Galley kitchen and DH took up a bunch of space with a juicer he's stopped using (knew that would happen) so I think I'll find a recipient for my rice cooker that lives in the pantry, then store it in there.  I'll be watching your posts, I think we like to eat similar things.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2016, 06:53:52 AM »
I think my slow cookers and rice cooker and old stove top pressure cooker should make their ways to the basement until I decide what to do. I feel like I should keep the slow cookers because one is HUGE and sometimes I may need them. The rice cooker, geez, DH got me a fancy Zujirushi a few years ago for Xmas and I have been off grains for almost 2 years now, so it never gets used.  :sigh:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2016, 07:58:40 AM »
Also, it was so hot yesterday that it was good to cook dinner in the IP instead of turning on the oven and heating up the house!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
Yesterday was my first cooking attempt with eggs. I normally do them on the stove. I can see myself using the ip for this. It isnt faster but it's a little more convenient. 8 minites, quick release, and cool in the fridge was over cooked. I'll try 6 minutes next time.

Currently,  I'm making a lentil soup. Again, not sure it will be faster than my normal process since lentil only takes about 30 minutes anyway? If I had a larger kitchen definitely wouldn't be a time saver since i would make 4 soups at a time if i had room to freeze them. I used the saute feature and hot water it still took 10+ minutes to reach pressure.

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy with my purchase and I see myself using it probably quite a bit!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2016, 02:08:07 PM »
Soup finished. I think i like my food cooked lightly as compared to a lot of people . 10 minutes on the lentil soup produced a very well done soup. But it worked just fine.

https://feedyourskull.com/2016/03/16/ip-sushi-rice/

Trying this cheater sushi rice for quick lunch rolls as a dry run for dinner later in the week.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »
Hmm. Cheater sushi rice wasnt a success.  Gluey soupy mess. Ill try a different method next time. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »
Check out the Fat Free Vegan "ridiculously easy" lentil soup recipe, that is our go to.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »
I am now inspired by MoS to try yoghurt!

This is cooking in mine now:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2016, 09:52:12 PM »
Check out the Fat Free Vegan "ridiculously easy" lentil soup recipe, that is our go to.

I referenced it for time but used a recipe I have had good luck with.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2016, 06:26:22 AM »
Woke up to yogurt! That was awesome! BUt we do not really eat yogurt :D But it was fun.

+-SUPPORT US