Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110823 times)

LilyLily

Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #300 on: April 24, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
I know we have talked roast chicken before so I thought I would share my new go-to method.  It's awesome. All you need is olive oil, salt and pepper.  If you have a cast iron skillet, that's what I cook it in. Don't under-salt it though!

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30264-basic-whole-roasted-chicken

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
I know we have talked roast chicken before so I thought I would share my new go-to method.  It's awesome. All you need is olive oil, salt and pepper.  If you have a cast iron skillet, that's what I cook it in. Don't under-salt it though!

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30264-basic-whole-roasted-chicken

I roast a whole chicken every other week or so.  It's such an easy process, and you can do so many different things with the leftovers.  If I feel like fussing with it, I cut out the backbone with kitchen shears and pull out the breastbone.  Cooks quicker that way, and you gotta love a procedure called spatchcocking!  :D  If I've gone that far, my OCD usually kicks in and I remove the ribs too, kind of like filleting a fish.  Mmm, chicken!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2015, 07:46:11 AM »
I have made this a few times and it is really tasty and looks similar
http://www.bakeaholicmama.com/2014/09/slow-cooker-indian-butternut-squash-and.html

How do you find time to get all these recipes? It looks delicious.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2015, 07:56:54 AM »
This looks yummy. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/curried-squash-and-red-lentil-soup-351416

Cilantro oil!  I didn't even know there was such a thing.  I'm going to make some. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »
How do you find time to get all these recipes? It looks delicious.
I do not watch tv and before bed peruse pinterest :D I think I may make this today! I forgot about it until RA posted her recipe.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

LilyLily

« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
I just made a cauliflower side that was really, really good.  I was winging it...

Trim a head of cauliflower then cut it up into small pieces.
Heat up a skillet
Add enough olive oil to coat the pan plus some more.  You need enough to coat, not drench, the cauliflower. 
Add 2 (less or more as you prefer) cloves of garlic to the oil.  Don't let the garlic burn.  I put mine through a press.
Add a pinch (or more if you like) of red pepper flakes to the oil.
Stir that around for about a minute or so.
Dump the cauliflower into the oil and stir it around so all the cauliflower is coated.
Keep it on the heat for about 5 minutes or so, stirring it so it's evenly exposed.
Add enough chicken broth to cover all the cauliflower and some kosher salt.
Cover it and let it go until most of the broth has cooked off.

I bet putting some lemon zest in at the end and giving it a quick stir would be good....Will try that next time.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2015, 06:41:44 PM »
I do not watch tv and before bed peruse pinterest :D I think I may make this today! I forgot about it until RA posted her recipe.

I don;t watch TV either... I read mystery novels before bed. That must be the problem.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2015, 07:26:43 PM »
I don;t watch TV either... I read mystery novels before bed. That must be the problem.
I read to DD for 30-60 mins before bed, I generally do not have the energy to read more, LOL. I am taking my continuing education classes online so do them every night before bed too. I love Pinterest, but i have really reigned in my time spent there. Probably 20 mins at bedtime.

I made the crockpot dish tonight. Yum. I added some curry powder to it as it was a bit too sweet with the butternut squash and garam marsala and cinnamon.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #310 on: May 12, 2015, 12:22:05 AM »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #311 on: May 12, 2015, 06:40:46 AM »
in Newfoundland, lobster is the traditional Mother's Day meal... my MIL, however, is vegetarian, so we never do lobster for M's Day.

but a neighbour called on Friday and asked if we wanted some lobster, so I said hell yeah... she dropped by with three lobsters  and about 2lbs of squid... when she called I already had a whole salmon in the oven so she stayed for dinner

Saturday, we had leftover salmon for breakfast & lunch, then lobster tacos for dinner.  Sunday we had a lobster brunch.  Last night I made soup stock with the lobster shells and scraps plus the head, skin, tail and bones of the salmon... so tonight we are having lobster-y tomato soup & fried squid for dinner.  I love this time of year.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #312 on: May 13, 2015, 06:41:47 PM »
I got an email coupon for 4 free plates if I buy 2 on plated.com. Just got my order this morning. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Zapatista

« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2015, 12:12:06 AM »
Open range pork chops tasted a lot better than pork chops from pigs that spend their lives in a cage.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #314 on: May 16, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »
plated.com has been a fun experiment. They sent us three meals on Wednesday morning. We made the steak and potato meal Wednesday night. Eh... the salad and potatoes were good, but the steak was too tough. I should have marinated it for longer but was following the recipe. We skipped Thursday night, and cooked the tahini spaghetti last night. That was really good, and we aren't big veggie people. They don't have the recipe online right now, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Hopefully the chicken hasn't spoiled by tomorrow, as we're going to a wedding tonight.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2015, 07:28:22 PM »
For those who crockpot:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crock-pot-asian-pork-with-mushrooms.html

I added baby bok choy and shredded carrot at the end, and served over rice.  Delicious.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #316 on: June 04, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
made these for a pot luck at school today, everyone LOVED them

http://blissfulbasil.com/2014/03/24/sweet-potato-avocado-bites/

It was easy yet really pretty. I was hoping for pea shoot microgreens on top, but found a mix of sprouts.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #317 on: June 08, 2015, 09:09:13 AM »
Got swiss chard in my CSA share this week and made this last night and it was so good I had to stop myself from eating more

http://www.afamilyfeast.com/roasted-butternut-squash-and-swiss-chard/

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #318 on: June 24, 2015, 09:19:33 PM »
This is not 'cooking' but 'distilling':

I just opened the bottle of limoncello I started 3 months ago.  At that time I had a bunch of meyer lemons I used for the meyer lemon curd for hamentaschen.  I took about 10 more and put them in a big bottle with everclear.  One month ago I pulled out the lemon rinds, filtered the liquid a few times, then added in a large quantity of simple syrup.  And then I put it back in the fridge.

So last night we opened it.  Heavenly!  This is summer in a bottle.  I'm seriously going to do this every year. 

I used this article for inspiration though I didn't follow it to a T.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #319 on: June 24, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »
Limoncello!  I have very fond memories of spending time with strangers in Italy drinking limoncello at an outdoor cafe we stumbled upon on a side street that I could never find again.  We weren't strangers for long!  We got to talking with the waiter, who turned about to be the son of the owner, who turned out to know practically everyone in the place and who took it upon herself to introduce us around.  Before long we were sitting a communal table drinking and carrying on with a cast of characters that would put the Cheers crowd to shame.  What a night that was.  Like something out of a movie.  Anyway, I never thought about making limoncello.  Thanks, Dev.  A new project for this weekend! 

+-SUPPORT US