Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110816 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »
more reason:  I had re-heated from frozen leftovers for lunch today with rice... it held up very well from the freeze and re-heat.  Also, the rice helped cut the salt a LOT.

mmmm I'm dying to try this!

Did you have all three soy sauces? The reviews say it's key.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
mmmm I'm dying to try this!

Did you have all three soy sauces? The reviews say it's key.

I can't find a source for kecap manis so I made some: http://www.fussfreecooking.com/recipe-categories/meatless-recipes/make-your-own-kecap-manis-indonesian-sweet-soy-sauce/

it was a bit of a pain, so if I do it again, I will probably just put in more light soy and another tbsp sugar and not worry about the kecap manis...

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #222 on: January 01, 2015, 07:27:24 PM »
We made this:  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blue-cheese-pear-tart

Used a slightly different blue cheese and added a little cream, but still couldn't whisk it.  And managed to scorch the wax paper and burn the bottom of the puff pastry.  (10 minutes on the bottom rack, my ass).  And because we knew we'd need a little more sweetness due to using a different blue cheese, we carmelized the onions instead of just saute, and used more pear than called for.  It was SO DAMN GOOD.  We will make it again, but we will probably see about making it simpler (i.e. not even attempting to make blue cheese that creamy).

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #223 on: January 01, 2015, 11:03:19 PM »
We Made it tonight. Wow. The process was intense buy the results remarkable. Yum!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2015, 07:49:09 AM »
We Made it tonight. Wow. The process was intense buy the results remarkable. Yum!
all.that.butter  :panic:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »
all.that.butter  :panic:

And fried tofu!

Meh. It's not an every day meal.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2015, 12:39:57 PM »
And fried tofu!

Meh. It's not an every day meal.
That is true and i am sure it is delicious :D Makes you think about what restaurants do to make everything taste so good ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
Made a friend's beef stroganoff recipe Friday night with leftover steak from NYE and leftover pasta shells.  There was something we didn't do exactly just so, but it was still pretty good.

-Slice up left over steak.
-Slice onions and mushrooms.
-Sauté onions and mushrooms (I use a mix of olive oil and butter)
-Season to taste
-Add about 1/2c white wine or beer, in the winter I like using the pumpkin beers because of the spice, but it is all a matter of taste and availability.
-Add a can of beef consumé.
-Thicken up to your desired texture using cornstarch.
-Add your sliced steak.
-finish with 1/4-1/2c. sour cream.
-I season with salt and pepper and fresh ground nutmeg. The nutmeg is what makes it!
-Pour over noodles. I use the egg noodles, but use whatever you like.

Made another quiche Saturday.  This one with mushrooms, onions, leftover grilled chicken, spinach, goat cheese, mozzarella, Italian spices, and garnished with black olives.  Pretty good.

Saturday night, made a pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions and a bottle of red wine that we hadn't liked very much and left in the fridge.  We were short on time, so 4 hours on high.  So the roast was kind of tough.  So Sunday night, cut up the pot roast into smaller pieces, added a can of stewed tomatoes, added diced celery from the freezer, added more pepper and thyme, and let simmer for a couple of hours on the stove.  MUCH better. It was a pretty decent beef stew/soup.

Also Sunday night, was still working through a fruit basket, so I made an apple tart.  Similar directions to the pear tart we made earlier in the week.
Puff pastry, cream cheese, an egg, tablespoon of butter, shredded Gouda, sliced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, honey, and rosemary. Very mild and just a hint of sweet. Fresh rosemary would have been the ticket vs. the dried stuff.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:19:45 PM by rocketgirl »

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »
Home sick, so I made soup yesterday.

Soup has red potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, Rotel (canned diced tomatoes with green chilies), apple, garlic salt, pepper, salt, parsley, cumin, chicken broth, white wine, and a beer (because more liquid was needed). I kind of wanted paprika, but I don't have any. It is good, and totally hits the spot with the cold weather.

And I STILL have leftover potatoes and carrots and I don't know what they'll get used for.  I did use the last apple - I put it in late and I think all it did was take a little bitterness off the beer.

I served it on a bed of spinach (instant wilting!) with a little shredded Gouda on top.

I'm happy it came out.  I am getting into 'I don't know what spices to use' territory.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »
Got this from the Food and Wine emails, and I had to try it because it sounded weird. Kind of delicious.

Roasted Cauliflower and Grapes

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2015, 08:18:06 AM »
Got this from the Food and Wine emails, and I had to try it because it sounded weird. Kind of delicious.

Roasted Cauliflower and Grapes

I love roasted grapes and I love roasted cauliflower, but I never ever thought to do them together.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
I love roasted grapes and I love roasted cauliflower, but I never ever thought to do them together.

It's the garlic and salt that make it work.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
Chili with ground turkey and lots of beans.  One of my favorite things!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
I haven't cooked anything more complicated than scrambled eggs this week.  I need to cook something this weekend, but I'm feeling a little burned out.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
I haven't cooked anything more complicated than scrambled eggs this week.  I need to cook something this weekend, but I'm feeling a little burned out.

Then don't. Why "need" to?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:20 PM »
I was like that about a month or so ago. It happens.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #238 on: January 16, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
Then don't. Why "need" to?

Because I also don't really want a sandwich or to eat out.  Now, I'm spoiled on good eats!

I think we are having random ingredient salad tonight featuring spinach and salami.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
I really hate it when homemade pizza does not turn out as planned. Tried this recipe and couldn't get it to rise after coming out of the fridge. The result was dry, tough, and VERY lackluster. They say to take a light hand with the cheese... but the result wasn't great. The kale version was much better. Briney and delicious.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-mozzarella-grandma-pie

+-SUPPORT US