Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110820 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:57 PM »
I hate not to credit it, but...

Pasta with Tuna, Capers, and Lemon

Serves 4 to 6.  (Not really)

Ingredients
3    tablespoons olive oil
6    medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
1/2    teaspoon red pepper flakes
3    tablespoons capers , rinsed and drained [we use lots more capers]
1/2    cup dry white wine
12    ounces can solid white tuna in water (or 2 6 oz cans), drained well and chunks broken up with fingers
table salt
1/4    cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1    teaspoon grated lemon zest
3    tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 6 pieces
1    pound penne pasta or fusilli, cooked until al dente and drained, 1/4 cup pasta cooking water reserved
Ground black pepper

1. Heat oil, 1 tablespoon garlic, red pepper flakes, and capers in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and sizzling but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine and bring to simmer; simmer until aroma bears no trace of alcohol, about 1 minute. Add tuna and 2 teaspoons salt and cook, stirring frequently, until tuna is heated through, about 1 minute.

2. Toss tuna mixture, remaining garlic, parsley, zest, butter, cooked pasta, and reserved pasta water to coat in warm serving bowl. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.

Well, you know I had to do it differently.  The store sells 5 oz cans, so I only used 10 oz of tuna.  And I didn't grate any lemon peel, so I added some lemon juice.   And I was never ready for the next step on time, so everything cooked longer than it said.  And I did most of step 2. as sort of a step 1.B. before adding to the pasta (and used extra butter).  And I used rotini pasta.

I also realized that my parsley had gone bad, but we ducked out (in the snow!) to check if there was any in my garden.  At that point, chopping was out of the question, so  I just rinsed and pulled the stems off.  Good enough!

I like this because almost everything is shelf-stable or something I have around all the time.  I don't always have parsley, so I chop up some spinach leaves, since I normally have that.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2014, 06:21:05 PM »
I was out all day and threw this in the crock pot and it was DELICIOUS!!!!!!
http://www.bakeaholicmama.com/2014/09/slow-cooker-indian-butternut-squash-and.html
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
I was out all day and threw this in the crock pot and it was DELICIOUS!!!!!!
http://www.bakeaholicmama.com/2014/09/slow-cooker-indian-butternut-squash-and.html

That looks interesting. Although with six cups of water and all of that butternut squash, I'd probably be doubling up on most of the spices.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2014, 06:35:24 AM »
That looks interesting. Although with six cups of water and all of that butternut squash, I'd probably be doubling up on most of the spices.
I think I put 5 cups in (i used my smaller crock pot) and followed the recipe to a T and the spices were actually fine! I usually find i double or triple spices on recipes, but not this one.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10410935_10204155367637448_8386934404041412776_n.jpg?oh=86287267083e2ab188b41e55fd118cb4&oe=551AAFAB&__gda__=1426666310_5b3d0f76c7c21c44707caadb703e657a

I think I'm just going to start calling myself the quiche lady.

This one is a lot of chopped spinach, some goat cheese, Italian cheese mix (parmesan, mozarella, asiago, and something else) 4 eggs, a bit of half and half, chopped Kalamata olives, a LOT of rosemary, garlic powder, a little salt, Greek oregano all mixed together.  Then topped with additional Italian cheese mix, a little thyme, more Green oregano, and more chopped Kalamata olives.  It smelled SO good.

I brought it to a work potluck today.  Yummy. May have actually had a little bit too much rosemary, which I didn't think was possible.  But it was good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2014, 08:52:01 PM »
pretty!  sounds like a good mixture.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »
Good idea.  Please report back.

I liked it. It would probably have been better with the cilantro, but I am definitely making it again.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
This looks good! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Oatmeal-365069

I made this and didn't love it. Ended up throwing a lot of it away. Much easier and less messy to just make oatmeal the regular way.

This looks incredible. I must try it! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Pepper-Tofu-365129

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
This looks incredible. I must try it! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Pepper-Tofu-365129

that looks amazing... tofu is now on my grocery list for this week

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
that looks amazing... tofu is now on my grocery list for this week

I'll admit, it's an intimidating recipe. But, the reviews are consistently quite good with people saying follow the recipe, even though it seems overkill!

This mapo dofu has been on my list for a while too
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/14/pock-marked-old-woman-s-tofu-recipe

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »
11 tbs butter  :e) i did pin it though for inspiration.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
Intriguing!
 http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Butternut-Squash-Kale-and-Crunchy-Pepitas-Taco-51249020
Pinned! I have made a lot of cashew cream sauces and cashew cheezes with much success and love. I just hope I do not develop a cashew allergy, LOL! At Thanksgiving I learned my brother is allergic to walnuts and pistachios and i am to almonds. So bizarre. We definitely got some bum allergy genes :D

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »
Made these black bean & sweet potato burritos last night, served with a smear of guac on top.  Yum!!

http://www.moosewoodcooks.com/2014/07/black-bean-sweet-potato-burritos/

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2014, 09:06:31 PM »
I have a bunch of fruit in my house so I was looking for something to do with some pears.  (I had bought some for a salad, but then the boyfriend brought over a fruit basket from work, so LOTs of fruit here!)  There were some recipes involving gorgonzola, but I didn't have any of that, but I ended up with a REALLY YUMMY sauce anyway.  (Warning: probably not all that good for you.)  And all measurements are approximate.

2 large Bosc pears, diced
2 oz crumbled goat cheese
3 oz gruyere cut small
5/8 cup white wine (Sauvignon blanc)
2 TBSP butter
Half and half - maybe 1/4 cup?
1-2 cloves worth minced garlic from a jar
3 pieces pre-cooked bacon cut in pieces
Thyme to taste
Cayenne to taste (I used more than I intended and it was perfect!)
Black pepper to taste

I started with pear, butter, garlic, and cayenne, and added the rest once the pear softened.  Took pretty close the amount of time it took to cook the pasta (not including the time it took to boil the water).

Served over cooked pasta. I had shells on hand.

Really good.  I had meant to add walnuts and forgot.  We added grilled chicken to the leftovers that following night, and that was good also.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 07:34:02 PM by rocketgirl »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2014, 07:46:11 AM »
I made this and didn't love it. Ended up throwing a lot of it away. Much easier and less messy to just make oatmeal the regular way.

I made this (finally) last night.  Very very tasty, but very salty and very very rich.  Deceptively... I mean, I knew how much butter was in there, but I was still surprised how filling it was.  The recipe would easily feed 6-8.  The most amazing thing, to me, is that the finished product looked EXACTLY like the picture.  I made a cold cucumber/soba noodle dish to go with it, which was a good contrast.

Enthusiastic thumbs up from picky vegetarian MIL and sad heartbroken no-appetite SIL.

I actually got a copy of Ottolenghi's Plenty for xmas.  Very excited!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »
I made this (finally) last night.  Very very tasty, but very salty and very very rich.  Deceptively... I mean, I knew how much butter was in there, but I was still surprised how filling it was.  The recipe would easily feed 6-8.  The most amazing thing, to me, is that the finished product looked EXACTLY like the picture.  I made a cold cucumber/soba noodle dish to go with it, which was a good contrast.

Enthusiastic thumbs up from picky vegetarian MIL and sad heartbroken no-appetite SIL.

I actually got a copy of Ottolenghi's Plenty for xmas.  Very excited!

Sweet! Even more reason to try it now!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »
Sweet! Even more reason to try it now!

more reason:  I had re-heated from frozen leftovers for lunch today with rice... it held up very well from the freeze and re-heat.  Also, the rice helped cut the salt a LOT.

+-SUPPORT US