Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110824 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »
Yum! Maybe I'll do a veggie version of this with smoked salt. Not the same, but probably still yummy!

report back, that sounds delicious!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »
Hi all. Today I had buuz. O0

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »
Made a copycat version of Chipotle's tofu sofritas. It was good but wayyyyy too spicy. Even DH who eats spicy food more than me, thought it was ott spicy.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2014, 07:08:10 AM »
yesterday was eggplant parmigiana and sauteed garlicky kale tossed with fiori pasta

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
yesterday was eggplant parmigiana and sauteed garlicky kale tossed with fiori pasta
Parmigiana is wonderfull!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2014, 02:56:43 PM »
I made the tomato tart again, but with the puff pastry, and it was good and easy. Puff pastry tarts are such an easy delivery method for a gorgeous dinner. I just wish it weren't like the fateningest thing on the face of the earth!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2014, 11:45:31 PM »
I don't have the recipe for the leftover dip that we used that we thawed from the freezer, but I think it is more or less rotel, chorizo, cream cheese, and taco seasoning.

So anyway, we cooked a pie shell with a little cheddar, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes on the bottom.  (I wanted to put a little honey, but I was beaten to the bunch).
Cooked down some leftover yellow onion and diced green pepper in olive oil.  (That helps with the indigestion.  Really.)
Threw that in a bowl with most of the leftover chorizo dip, 3 beaten eggs, a finely sliced fresh jalapeno pepper from my garden, some diced fresh tomatoes from my garden, a splash of heavy whipping cream, and some chopped spinach (because vitamins).  Poured that into the pie shell.
Finished with grated cheddar on some dried Greek oregano on top.
Baked about 30-35 minutes on 350.

Yummy.  But no decent photos.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2014, 12:18:42 PM »
for the first time in 12 years, I can buy LOCAL eggplant

I forgot how absolutely brilliant really fresh eggplant is.  I've been settling for shipped-from-god-knows-where squishy stuff for years.  So until the end of eggplant season, it's going to be all eggplant all the time.*

we've now done: parmagiana, baba ganoush, napolean-sort-of (see Sunday dinner thread), tatin, indian curry, indonesian curry, skewered and grilled, stuffed

hit me with your favourite eggplant meals... they'll be available for  few more weeks yet

*that is an exaggeration, but only a little bit

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
Ok, these LOOK sort of terrible, but they have milk stout, dark chocolate, cayenne, and bacon in them, and they are SO GOOD.

Recipe:  http://lefthandbrewing.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cookies-with-bacon-beer-and-cayenne/ 

We (or rather I should say my guy) used the Straight to Ale Lily Flagg Milk Stout, the maximum amount of cayenne, and I think there is a darker chocolate cocoa powder.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »
And we did the baked mac and cheese that I think I'v posted before, only we added chopped spinach (yay nutrients!), spicy conecuh sausage, sriracha, and grated some leftover paprika Gouda on top.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »
moose pho last night (no eggplant)

tonight is shaping up to be some sort of enchilada with freshly made tomatillo salsa... we only got enough tomatillos this year for one meal, so we are still debating the worthy enchilada filling

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
I made this recipe last night. It's a fave. But, somehow it didn't quite go right. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garbanzo-Beans-and-Garlic-with-Swiss-Chard-241110

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
I made this recipe last night. It's a fave. But, somehow it didn't quite go right. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garbanzo-Beans-and-Garlic-with-Swiss-Chard-241110

I'm making this right now, but with kale instead of chard.  I didn't have shallots, so regular onion will have to do.  5 more minutes and the beans should be roasted.  It smells amazing and would be practically worth making for the aroma alone.  Thanks for pointing out the recipe!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »
tonight will be :

fill a roasting pan with chopped red onion, limas, and cannellini beans
add some garlic, fresh thyme, maybe some marjoram, and salt and pepper
toss some chicken thighs on top, pour on some olive oil, and cover with foil

bake in a 375° oven until the chicken is cooked

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »
Done, and delicious!  The kale substitution worked great, I just cooked it a little longer because it has more substance than chard.  Here are the results in the pan and on my plate.  Keeper

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:50 AM »
Oh that looks good.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
Glad you liked it! Sometimes I throw some veggies in to roast with the chickpeas (I'm fond of sweet potato or winter squash and cauliflower). Sometimes I serve it with farro. I realized that normally when I cook the chard I don't add broth. I think that was my mistake this time. Definitely a fall fave though!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »
This weekend I cooked a lot. I made refried bean, corn tortillas, lime cilantro rice and mexican rice for dinner last night. Tonight I made a quinoa salad for lunch this week ith spinach, chickpeas, raisins, and a lemony tahini dressing. For dinner was a stew of butternut squash, carrots, tomatoes and chickpeas over a flavorful quinoa.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »
I made this delicious cornbread with figs and feta cheese:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/skillet-corn-bread-with-figs-feta-and-rosemary

I liked it so much that I am going to add it to my Thanksgiving menu (I am hosting dinner this year).

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
Canadian thanksgiving was last weekend, so this will be a week of leftover turkey meals.

Thus far: turkey & dressing sandwiches, turkey tacos, and turkey-tomato-feta salad...

+-SUPPORT US