Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 108734 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 09:05:07 AM »
Good recipe???

she does it without a specific recipe now... but the broth is always done with charred onion, charred ginger, and well-toasted spices (coriander seed, star anise, black peppercorn... sometimes others)

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Because PANTS

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
I've been making a lot of scrambles lately.

Yesterday was baby broccoli with shallots and garlic. Then I scrambled the egg with some smoked gouda. Topped it all off with roasted salsa. Yummy & filling!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:04 PM »
i have finally perfected my eggplant parm recipe.  we had that last night.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »
I have three perfect green bell peppers I am looking to stuff tomorrow night.  I need to figure out a recipe.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
I have three perfect green bell peppers I am looking to stuff tomorrow night.  I need to figure out a recipe.

I like to use lamb or mutton sausage as a base... finely chopped onion, bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, mint, salt.  Or ground venison/moose with onion, garlic, oats, thyme, sage, oregano.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
i have finally perfected my eggplant parm recipe.  we had that last night.

You made this last night and yet still no recipe for us?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »
I like to use lamb or mutton sausage as a base... finely chopped onion, bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, mint, salt.  Or ground venison/moose with onion, garlic, oats, thyme, sage, oregano.

That sounds delicious, esp the venison.  Maybe when it is deer season in another couple of months.
I was hoping for meatless, or with ground turkey or chicken as a meat.  But onion, garlic, oats (maybe rice?), thyme, sage, oregano sounds great.  And cheese of some sort.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
Also, this is on the table this weekend at some point:

http://cookingalamel.com/2013/08/cheesy-stuffed-banana-peppers-gluten-free.html

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
That sounds delicious, esp the venison.  Maybe when it is deer season in another couple of months.
I was hoping for meatless, or with ground turkey or chicken as a meat.  But onion, garlic, oats (maybe rice?), thyme, sage, oregano sounds great.  And cheese of some sort.

when I do veg ones for MIL, I use both fresh bread crumbs and oats, bind with a beaten egg

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
I made this curried ground turkey recipe and served with homemade garlic naan.  So good.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/curried_ground_turkey_with_potatoes/

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »
Menu for the next four dinners based on trips to several stores today (plus my harvest):

tonight is stuffed banana peppers (half spicy, half sweet), pasta and a spicy marinara sauce, plus garlic bread
tomorrow is baked halibut with a breadcrumb topping, some mayo-y concoction, and sweet corn
Monday night is stuffed green peppers
Tuesday is beet salad with goat cheese, pecans, red onion, some fancy lettuce and red wine vinaigrette

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 02:41:52 PM »
I made this curried ground turkey recipe and served with homemade garlic naan.  So good.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/curried_ground_turkey_with_potatoes/

That looks great.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
This is tomorrow's slow cooker recipe, to be served with basmati rice.

Chicken Korma

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup chicken
mixture, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro)

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into
bite-sized pieces
2 cups coarsely chopped onion (1 onion)
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
1 teaspoon salt
1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 bay leaves
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
4 cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove chicken from pan; place in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add ginger
and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); sauté 2 minutes. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker. Stir in potato
and next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon stick).
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Turn slow cooker off; let stand 15
minutes. Stir in yogurt. Serve chicken mixture over rice. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »
That sounds good ice cream!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 09:07:28 AM »
We went fruit picking this weekend and I made an apple upside down cake for breakfast :D Deliciously yummy out of the oven.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 10:01:24 AM »

I've done mine with ground turkey, brown rice, a small can of tomato paste, a little tomato sauce as needed to make it a little more (or less) saucy. Plenty of diced sauteed veggies - sweet onions, pepper (from the tops), zucchini, squash, carrots, etc. Or in winter I'll use corn, peas, etc. from frozen. Add salt, pepper, garlic in whatever form you've got, and maybe a handful of some kind of cheese - shredded cheddar or even some parm. It is easy to make with whatever you've got on hand, load it with veggies, etc.
This space for rent.

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »
This is easily the most beautiful thing I've ever cooked.  (This is the stock photo, not mine--I think mine looked even prettier!):

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/tomato-tart-from-the-beekman-1802-heirloom-vegetable-cookbook.html

The flavors were fantastic but I didn't let it cook long enough--probably needed another 5-10 minutes on the lower rack.  It was a great way to use an abundance of CSA tomatoes.  Very easy and quick to make, too.
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 10:11:21 AM »
Very nice!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 11:23:29 AM »
I've done mine with ground turkey, brown rice, a small can of tomato paste, a little tomato sauce as needed to make it a little more (or less) saucy. Plenty of diced sauteed veggies - sweet onions, pepper (from the tops), zucchini, squash, carrots, etc. Or in winter I'll use corn, peas, etc. from frozen. Add salt, pepper, garlic in whatever form you've got, and maybe a handful of some kind of cheese - shredded cheddar or even some parm. It is easy to make with whatever you've got on hand, load it with veggies, etc.

This is good.   I will post whatever recipe I find. 
A doesn't like peppers so she is humoring me by cooking them, but she told me to find a recipe I wanted.
I picked the peppers last night.   :)

+-SUPPORT US