Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110233 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
I could never cook with someone else.

I made an Indisn zucchini kofta curry last night. It was the first just meh thing I have made in a while. The leftovers were a bit better. Nothing I would make again.

Butternut squash soup this morning. Yum.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »
I love the idea of cooking with someone else. But, I'm kind of a control freak in the kitchen. I'm working on it.

mr. 'poo and i cook together, but we cook individual dishes alone.  so, he handles one thing while i handle another.  i'd lose my mind, otherwise.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2014, 07:19:31 AM »
mr. 'poo and i cook together, but we cook individual dishes alone.  so, he handles one thing while i handle another.  i'd lose my mind, otherwise.

we do that a lot... or my GF does all the prep work and then I do the cooking part

but it took us about 12 years to learn how to share the kitchen and withhold helpful advice

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
I made quiche last night.  Chopped up some spinach, threw in 2 eggs, some parmesan and romano cheese, the rest of the cream, a little lemon juice, chopped up 3 strips of bacon I cooked separately, and some leftover carmelized onions.  Threw on some sliced roma tomato the last 7 minutes of cooking.

And, well.  I should have just chopped some fresh onion instead of using leftover carmelized onion (that had been done with wine & honey).  All you could taste was the sweet carmelized onion. Which is really really delicious.  But totally didn't go with tomatoes on top.

On the other hand, I guess one could cram an onion tart full of spinach to add those nutrients and it wouldn't affect the taste.

I'm still eating it for lunches this week.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »
mmmmm carmelized onions......

Thinking of making a vegetarian "Pho" for dinner. We tried to get some Pho while we were away this weekend and there was zero on the menu that was vegetarian. I never had that issue in Boston and used to eat Pho at least once a week. DH has never had it, nor has DD. But I think her school lunch today is potato leek soup, so maybe soup overload? I dunno.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
I made this last night:
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/zucchini-ricotta-cheesecake-recipe.html

I'll make it again but with some tweaks. The summer squash didn't really hold up to the rest of the aromatics. Instead, next time I think I'll do sort of a riff on spanakopita and use spinach (or maybe chard).

It was good. But it could have been better.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2014, 01:57:31 PM »
we do that a lot... or my GF does all the prep work and then I do the cooking part

but it took us about 12 years to learn how to share the kitchen and withhold helpful advice

our kitchen is quite cramped, too, so we have to be in sync.  it's rather balletic.

if anyone else tries to help, things go straight to hell.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
I cook with A sometimes, but it is mostly a situation where I am just told what to do while drinking wine or scotch. :shrug:

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
I cook with A sometimes, but it is mostly a situation where I am just told what to do while drinking wine or scotch. :shrug:

Works for me.

I like cooking with someone.  Well, as someone who doesn't like cooking all that much, and likes prep work even less, it takes the "chore" out of it to do with someone else.  It's flirting and back and forth and working together and throwing out ideas and ...um... stuff.   :>D:

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »
Works for me.

I like cooking with someone.  Well, as someone who doesn't like cooking all that much, and likes prep work even less, it takes the "chore" out of it to do with someone else.  It's flirting and back and forth and working together and throwing out ideas and ...um... stuff.   :>D:

Yeh - that's a decent portion of our "social time" together -- hanging out in the kitchen while dinner is prepared, without the distraction of books and TV and the CH, etc.  She would never let me do much of the prep work, I am too messy.   :D

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2014, 07:59:18 PM »
Yeh - that's a decent portion of our "social time" together -- hanging out in the kitchen while dinner is prepared, without the distraction of books and TV and the CH, etc.  She would never let me do much of the prep work, I am too messy.   :D

this would be fine with me. Stand there, martini in hand. Don't touch anything. Don't "help". Just keep me company!

But, he's a pacer. So, if he doesn't have something tieing him to one spot, he paces in circles. Which makes me want to shake him. So, it's best if I come up with some task for him.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »
Our kitchen is too tiny to cook together, and I am kind of a control freak about some stuff.  I think if I could let go of that I'd enjoy cooking with kenyan.  His cooking reportoire is limited, but the stuff he does make is good so I could see us getting into cooking together when we actually have a kitchen that we can both stand in at the same time.  (Of course by then we'll probably have some ducklings that one of us needs to attend to, so maybe it's just wishful thinking)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »

Ah.  He used to work in a restaurant.  He cuts things so quickly and neatly.  It takes me FOREVER.  I don't have a lot of counter space, but my kitchen isn't too tiny.  It's bigger than his kitchen, although we have the same amount of counter space.  And it is nice to be able to do two things at once.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
I like to cook by myself. But I've also never really cooked with anyone else - the kitchen has pretty clearly been my domain.
This space for rent.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2014, 06:07:54 PM »
I'm subject to the strictures of the WLC starting tomorrow, but just to get a head start, I cooked this for dinner.

It's a ribeye steak from my local organic beef farm.  Sprinkled with Penzeys "Chicago" spice rub plus some coarse ground pepper and garlic salt, searing away in the fat from some chopped up slices of home smoked bacon, surrounded by fresh green beans and Hatch chiles.  After a little searing on the stovetop, I popped the whole mess into a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.  And that was that.  Fabulous food, easily prepared, and totally WLC compliant. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
this would be fine with me. Stand there, martini in hand. Don't touch anything. Don't "help". Just keep me company!

But, he's a pacer. So, if he doesn't have something tieing him to one spot, he paces in circles. Which makes me want to shake him. So, it's best if I come up with some task for him.

I'm either cooking or keeping the cook company.  I can handle either role, but please don't ask me to split the difference.   :panic:

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2014, 02:45:11 AM »
hi all !!!

you should try this at your home. is not so difficult, just try it !

enjoy the fettuccine !!!   :buttpat:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/12460/basic+fresh+pasta

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2014, 03:11:43 AM »
...and you can do it with a pasta machine or by hands.
is not so difficult with hands, you could try it.
but of course you need a rolling pin.

:obh:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:14:35 AM by mariobrega »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »
I made homemade mayonnaise for the first time this weekend. I don't use mayo very often and wanted to try to a recipe that included it so I figured I would make my own.

Quite simple if you use a blender. :D  I am no Julia Child to whisk an egg with tiny drips of oil for 15 minutes straight. :D

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
I made homemade mayonnaise for the first time this weekend. I don't use mayo very often and wanted to try to a recipe that included it so I figured I would make my own.

Quite simple if you use a blender. :D  I am no Julia Child to whisk an egg with tiny drips of oil for 15 minutes straight. :D

homemade mayo is FAR superior to store bought

(IMO, it tastes best made by hand, but it's ridiculously time consuming that way, so I don't fault anyone for using a blender or food processor...)

+-SUPPORT US