Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110695 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2015, 07:26:32 AM »
I made pan-fried Alaskan cod tonight.  I've never made it before and would love your other cod preparation recipes because I kept it super simple.

DH and DD are so picky and even turn their noses up at salmon if I make it too often.  They like tilapia (boring!).  But DH went to TJ's while I was away and brought home a frozen package of the cod and told me how he wanted it (salt, pepper, lemon, pan-fried).  He despises grocery shopping but this was a helpful exercise for him.

one of my favourite things to do with cod (any fish, really) is to cook it en papillotte... essentially steaming it in the oven... you can wrap it up with anything as long as it's cut appropriately to cook in the same time as the fish

my go-to is layered from bottom to top: mandolin-thin potato or sweet potato or golden beet; thinly sliced shallot or onion or green onions split lengthwise; dark leafy greens (thick stalks removed if necessary); fish; thin slice or two of lemon; capers or olives; a pat of butter or a drizzle of olive oil... wrap it up, bake in a hot oven (375-400F) for 20 min per inch of fish if the fish starts frozen, 10 minute per inch if the fish is fresh or thawed, + 5 minutes because it's wrapped, and let sit for 5 minutes out of the oven before opening

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »
I bastardized a pork recipe from the Jim Beam website, and DAMN it was good!

Marinated the pork chops in a better class of bourbon than Jim Beam, with honey, salt, pepper, rosemary and a bit of lemon juice.  The longer the better.  (I didn't have molasses, which is what the recipe wanted, so I used honey).

I don't keep apple jelly (or again molasses), so instead of making a glaze, I made more of chutney (is that the word?).  I chopped some sort of red apple into tiny pieces, and cooked in bourbon, honey, brown sugar, a little lemon juice, salt, pepper, and rosemary.  I cooked it down quite a bit, adding more bourbon when I ran out of liquid.

Served the apple stuff on top of the pork chops.  I mean, you have to like bourbon, but it was REALLY good.  The boyfriend ate 2 chops, plus the last bit of mine.  (It was a bit rich and my stomach had been pretty upset the night before so I stopped before I ate it all).

Served with roasted asparagus (the usual olive oil and garlic salt) topped with a bit of goat cheese and balsamic glaze.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:49:56 PM by rocketgirl »
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
Thanks Meri.  I have tough/easy customers in that DH favors meat in simple preparations with only a few variations so I stick to those.  Truly as long as I put salt, pepper and paprika (and/or cumin) on it I'm good to go.  If it's crispy/butter even better.

But this is why I don't try to make things like chicken soup/stock. 

one of my favourite things to do with cod (any fish, really) is to cook it en papillotte... essentially steaming it in the oven... you can wrap it up with anything as long as it's cut appropriately to cook in the same time as the fish

my go-to is layered from bottom to top: mandolin-thin potato or sweet potato or golden beet; thinly sliced shallot or onion or green onions split lengthwise; dark leafy greens (thick stalks removed if necessary); fish; thin slice or two of lemon; capers or olives; a pat of butter or a drizzle of olive oil... wrap it up, bake in a hot oven (375-400F) for 20 min per inch of fish if the fish starts frozen, 10 minute per inch if the fish is fresh or thawed, + 5 minutes because it's wrapped, and let sit for 5 minutes out of the oven before opening

I love this.  I used to make fish for my sister this way when we lived together years ago.  It's lovely an healthy.  But since it doesn't result in 'crispy', the preferred texture of DH, it is not well liked.  boo
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »
That makes sense. I have a hard time cooking something I cannot taste so i rarely do it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »
DH says that I don't give myself enough credit. I guess I do prepare lots of different things when guests come over and he says the seasoning is always spot on.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
I had leftover asparagus, so made something similar to this:  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cherry-tomato-asparagus-salad

Except that I didn't have avocado or gorgonzola.  So it was the asparagus, tomatoes, spinach, kalamata olives, the dressing, and goat cheese.  It was yummy.

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #266 on: March 01, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »
I am making asparagus soup!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #267 on: March 01, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
sounds delicious!  please share the recipe. 

I made the most delicious meyer lemon curd yesterday.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #268 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »
I've gotten interested in cooking lately... but mostly i want to say that cracking a jar of your own green tomato chutney to put on your bowl of chicken  and rice is about as wonderful as it gets.

that and discovering that you can make really good homemade soup. :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2015, 07:26:07 AM »
sounds delicious!  please share the recipe. 

I made the most delicious meyer lemon curd yesterday.

It was good, but nothing fancy, just your plain old procedure: sauté onions and garlic in olive oil, add sliced asparagus stems and sauté some more.  Add broth, thyme, and pepper, and simmer.  When all the asparagus is soft, I added some spinach leaves and blended. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #270 on: March 09, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »
Gluttony day yesterday... curried chicken & spinach burgers on naan... topped with mango chutney, crumbled feta and pakora-battered onion rings & mint leaves.  The mint leaves were an experiment, but I should have made a lot more of them...

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #271 on: March 09, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
whoa!  that sounds amazing (minus the chicken)

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »
whoa!  that sounds amazing (minus the chicken)

the chicken was really just a vehicle... I have no doubt a curried bean & spinach patty would have been just as good

most importantly, mint pakora is awesome :)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #273 on: March 12, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »
I'll keep that in mind!  Tonight was really delicious cauliflower and chickpea curry:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/curried-cauliflower-and-chickpea-stew-352533

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »
I'll keep that in mind!  Tonight was really delicious cauliflower and chickpea curry:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/curried-cauliflower-and-chickpea-stew-352533

Thank you!  This will be on my menu soon!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »
Looks good, something is off with the nutritional info though ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
today:
barmbrack
nettle tart
soda bread muffins (makes for easier serving)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
Last night, one of my faves:
4 small (or 2 large) white onions + oil and salt. Carmelized on low. Takes about 2 hours.
Cut one head of broccoli rabbe into 1 inch chunks
Add broccoli rabbe to pan with onions, add some beans if you like. Increase heat to medium and cook until the rabbe gets nice and soft (not a veggie I like al dente)
Best with a fairly heavy hand of salt and copious parm.

Pasta, sausage, and red pepper flakes are all great additions but we kept it simple last night.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
meri, I don't see nutritional info.  Do you mean on my recipe? 

It was delicious and made a ton.  I have another meal or two for the freezer now.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2015, 10:03:30 PM »
This is what I made for Shabbat dinner at a friend's house tonight. Meyer lemon cheesecake strawberry tart.

+-SUPPORT US