Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110708 times)

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »
we had these for supper.  simply fantastic.

http://www.jean-georges.com/recipes/seasonal/lamb-chop-with-smoked-chile-glaze/

Those look delicious, but I'll have to save that recipe for more adventurous/carnivorous friends.  Now I'm hungry.  :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2014, 08:49:09 PM »
There are a lot of good shrimp and grits recipes out there.  The one I use has a lot of cheese, but there are good ones without cheese (or with much less).  I also like to add andouille sausage (I think you can get a chicken sausage) and diced tomatoes.  You can adjust the spicy-ness up and down.  (I double the cayenne and/or add more red pepper flakes; you might not for your friends, but could add more to the leftovers for yourself).

From here:  http://www.food.com/recipe/cheesy-shrimp-on-grits-crock-pot-recipe-468654
1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely sliced
1 bunch green onion, chopped, divided
4 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 1/4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and cleaned
5 1/3 cups water
1 1/3 cups quick-cooking grits
8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup whipping cream or 1/4 cup half-and-half cream

Directions:
Coat 4 1/2 qt crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Add bell peppers, celery, all but 1/2 cup of green onions, butter, seafood seasoning, and red pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hrs or on High 2 hours.
Turn crock pot to HIGH. Add shrimp. Cover. cook 15 minutes longer. Meanwhile, bring water to boil in medium saucepan. Add grits and cook according to package.
Stir in cheese, cream and remaining 1/2 cup green onions. Cook 5 minutes longer or until cheese has melted. Serve over grits.
VARIATION: Also delicious served over polenta.

Someone told me I am from the North and I have no business doing grits.  It was in this forum...    ;)

Offline ihop

« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »
I love shrimp and grits.  Tyler Florence has a good recipe.

La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/curried_ground_turkey_with_potatoes/

I have made this before.  We often have ground turkey and potatoes on hand.   :)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/curried_ground_turkey_with_potatoes/

I have made this before.  We often have ground turkey and potatoes on hand.   :)

Think I may make this with the "ground soy product" I have in the fridge. It looks good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2014, 07:11:02 AM »
Think I may make this with the "ground soy product" I have in the fridge. It looks good.

Good idea.  Please report back.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

LilyLily

« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:49 PM »
I LOVE this.  Make it at least a couple times when the weather gets cool.  Chicken and Noodles.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/homemade-chicken-and-noodles/

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »
hungarian mushroom soup packed up for lunches

roast chicken (rubbed with anchovy & thyme & garlic; stuffed with a lemon)  with sauteed kale, and roasted carrot & parsnip

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Spaghetti squash lasagna from fat free vegan blog. Family favorite.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »
spaghetti and meatballs

Offline ihop

« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
spaghetti and meatballs

I made this last night too!  DD requested it.  We are having leftovers tonight.  Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #191 on: November 03, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
i don't make it very often, but our power was out and i couldn't use the oven.  thankfully, it is easy and everyone likes it.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #192 on: November 03, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
I might get some green chilis and throw them in a quiche with green tomatoes, bacon, and whatever and see if it's any good.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #193 on: November 03, 2014, 08:04:47 PM »
this chicken soup got rave reviews.  I cut the butter by a third and added about 2 cups of additional broth b/c my family likes soup on the liquidy side, not chowder.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »
So, it turns out the caribougrl's green tomato salsa recipe is pretty good as part of a quiche filling.

Brushed quiche crust with a bit of Dijon mustard.  (Well, I didn't have any, so I added a little mayo and a little white wine to some yellow mustard and it was close enough).
Green tomato salsa, 4 eggs, and 2 slices of pre-cooked bacon sliced in pieces, and a little cheddar cheese mixed in and covering the top.  Baked 30 minutes at 350.

Yummy.  (Needed slightly less mustard - brushing just the bottom vs bottom plus sides of the crust would have been perfect.  Needed another slice of bacon.  Needed more jalapenos - we used some from a jar instead of fresh, so could have used a bit more.)

I had mostly green tomatoes, a couple of red ones, a single small tomatillo, and a pathetically small orange bell pepper that I chopped up with an onion, the jarred jalapenos, a bit of garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, cumin, oregano, and salt to make the salsa. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »
It was a blustery fall day yesterday and I was craving Kale soup. I also had some bits and ends of other stuff. I didn't have time to pre-soak the beans and did a power soak instead, which worked out ok.

1/2 cup of navy beans
1/2 cup of assorted grains (I keep a container that holds the ends of my bulk grains and then add it to soups eventually)
Fresh Rosemary & Sage
Red pepper flakes
10 cloves Garlic
1-2 smallish red potatoes
1 bunch of kale

Heat the beans and a couple of cups of water to a boil- simmer for a couple of minutes, turn off the heat and let sit for 1 hour. (I went for a run)
Drain the beans

Put the beans, a sprig of sage, and several crushed garlic cloves (no need to peel) in a quart of water. Bring to a simmer & simmer until tender (about 30-40 minutes). When tender (but before they fall apart) turn off the heat and salt the water. It should be pretty salty. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile heat some olive oil in a pan & add several cloves of minced garlic + rosemary (I used 1tblspoonish but could have used more)+ red pepper flakes (I use a frozen bullion and add it here too) and heat just until fragrant.
Now add potatoes & grains and a quart of stock (or water if you are using bullion) and simmer until tender.

The potatoes and grains took about the same amount of time to cook as the beans. I still cooked them separate but you could try cooking all together. I fished the garlic cloves & sage out of the bean pot and added the beans (water and all) to the soup. Plus the kale, and simmered until the kale was tender.

Salt to taste. Threw a veggie sausage in the bowl and served with salad & crusty bread. I bet gruyere would be an excellent addition.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #196 on: November 10, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
Didn't have a jar of spaghetti sauce and didn't have my usual herby compliments to my quick sauce. So, I made this one. Really yummy! Spicy and lemony. Yum!
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/five-minute-tomato-sauce-recipe.html

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2014, 12:54:58 PM »

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
I don't know if this is the place to post it, but a few years ago, I got a tuna and capers pasta recipe from one of you.  Apparently, it is good pre-half-marathon (and post) food.  We had it the night before one of the boyfriend's Saturday morning training runs, and he decided that worked for him.  So he made it the night before his very first half marathons.  He surpassed his goal time (and got pretty close to his dream time).  He also thought it was very good AFTER the run.  (although there may have been post-race pizza in there too.)

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
I don't know if this is the place to post it, but a few years ago, I got a tuna and capers pasta recipe from one of you.  Apparently, it is good pre-half-marathon (and post) food.  We had it the night before one of the boyfriend's Saturday morning training runs, and he decided that worked for him.  So he made it the night before his very first half marathons.  He surpassed his goal time (and got pretty close to his dream time).  He also thought it was very good AFTER the run.  (although there may have been post-race pizza in there too.)

this is as good a place as any... you should re-post the recipe because, well, capers and tuna...

+-SUPPORT US