Author Topic: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread  (Read 110262 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: Perpetual What Are You Cooking Thread
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
homemade mayo is FAR superior to store bought

(IMO, it tastes best made by hand, but it's ridiculously time consuming that way, so I don't fault anyone for using a blender or food processor...)

And my palate isn't discerning enough to tell the difference between hand whisk or blender.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Yeah, so easy to make at home and so delicious made at home. I can't stomach store-bought mayo.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
Love home made mayo. 
Because PANTS

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
It's so easy with a stick blender.  I make it as I need it, one egg's worth at a go. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
Friday night - macaroni & cheese and bacon grilled sandwich.  Yeah, I know, but we had them from a food truck last weekend and they were yummy.  And I had leftover mac & cheese, and had French bread, and had bacon, so....

Did not cook Saturday.

Sunday brunch was scrambled eggs with chopped spinach, fresh grape tomatoes, and feta; canned biscuits; and cheese grits.

Sunday dinner was a frittata like thing baked in a cast iron skillet.  Tortilla, 4 eggs, spinach, onion, peppers?, Rotel, chili garlic sauce, mozarella cheese...I don't know what all was in it.  The face was drawn with sriracha .  It was yummy.

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
I made homemade mayonnaise for the first time this weekend. I don't use mayo very often and wanted to try to a recipe that included it so I figured I would make my own.

Quite simple if you use a blender. :D  I am no Julia Child to whisk an egg with tiny drips of oil for 15 minutes straight. :D

The recipe for blender vs. whisk is different, from what I know.  The blender uses the white and the yolk, the whisk only the yolk.  It's not that hard to do it with a whisk.  In fact, I used to do it with a fork all the time.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »
I feel as if I'm the last to know about this homemade mayo thing.
This space for rent.

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »
wonderfull the frittata ! i suggest frittata with fries, it's amazing !  :doglick:

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
I feel as if I'm the last to know about this homemade mayo thing.
I was shocked at how easy it is.  All you need is a stick blender and a few simple ingredients:

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/how-to-make-mayonnaise/

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2014, 09:24:43 PM »
Nice. I might try that. Thanks, radial.
This space for rent.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
steamed brown rice w/ricotta
served with sauteed butternut squash, onion, nutmeg, marjoram
arugula on top, and a bit of parm

it was pretty good

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »
I made this [Green Pozole] twice.  It was fantastic.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Green-Pozole-with-Chicken-107749

Actually, it was fantastic the first time because I actually followed the recipe (though perhaps a bit more garlic, onion, cilantro]

I made it yesterday with what I thought were husked tomatillos from the CSA.  Nope -- when I cut into them after the chicken was on the boil I realized they were green tomatoes.  I made it anyway.  Still good.
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »
I tried making GF flour tortillas last night (i usually only make corn) and it was not a good turn out. It was very hard to get them thin enough and they were more like a flat bread than a tortilla, sadly. We did have corn tortillas that DD pressed in the tortilla press. The "flour" ones i had to roll with the rolling pin. If i tried to get them thinner, they broke.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2014, 08:31:02 AM »
The recipe for blender vs. whisk is different, from what I know.  The blender uses the white and the yolk, the whisk only the yolk.  It's not that hard to do it with a whisk.  In fact, I used to do it with a fork all the time.

Yes - complete egg for the blender, yolk only for whisking.  I attempted the whisk version first, but I think it takes a bit of practice - the oil and yolk remained determinedly separated and my arm was getting tired.

Not being a huge fan of mayonnaise, I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference in taste between whisked or blended.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:03 AM »
last night we had indian-spiced roasted cauliflower, curry-rubbed grilled corn on the cob, kachumber salad, raita and naan

tonight looks like it's shaping up to be squid tacos

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:28 AM »
I have a HUGE cauliflower in the fridge and too many options, cannot decide what to do with it. Something crockpot would be ideal.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
I have a HUGE cauliflower in the fridge and too many options, cannot decide what to do with it. Something crockpot would be ideal.

I recently roasted cauliflower and topped with a tahini sauce (similar to this recipe: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/roasted-cauliflower-in-lemon-tahini-sauce/).  Very tasty and I added a grain (in my case, farro) to round out the meal.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2014, 10:21:41 AM »
one option :)

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
Hi mary. With cauliflower u can do a nice pasta.spaghetti.  boil the cauliflower. When it is boiled take it out. In the same water cook the spaghetti or another kind of pasta. Don't forget the sault in the water. The green water full of cauliflower will enter his taste inside the spaghetti.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Italian Sausage and Stuff:

Chopped red and green bell pepper - maybe 1/3 of the green and 2/3 of the red (I like red better)
1/2 chopped yellow onion
5 Italian sausages
5 roma tomatoes and a few cherry tomatoes (fresh from my garden - wish I'd had more)
maybe a tablespoon and a half of dried Greek oregano (from my old garden)
probably a tablespoon and a half of garlic (from a jar)
some basil (fresh from my garden)
some salt
some pepper
red wine (something sort of sweet and fruity - grenache is good, but I had some very grape-y homemade wine I'd gotten from a friend)
1/2 box of pasta
Took a little olive oil and started the peppers, onions, and garlic in a big frying pan first. Added the rest as I got the tomatoes sliced and the rest of the ingredients out. Added red wine. Stirred here and there.
Started the sausages separately in a different frying pan with some water. Package said to cook 15 minutes covered. Turned them once. Then added the sausages to the other stuff. Added more wine. Covered and cooked until rest of wine was absorbed.
Served over 1/2 box of cooked (duh) vegetable pasta.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US