Author Topic: Ode to ripe tomatoes  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Ode to ripe tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 09:53:04 PM »
I found it!

But, that doesn't mean we don't need BA's recipe, which obviously we do.

This is easily the most beautiful thing I've ever cooked.  (This is the stock photo, not mine--I think mine looked even prettier!):

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/tomato-tart-from-the-beekman-1802-heirloom-vegetable-cookbook.html

The flavors were fantastic but I didn't let it cook long enough--probably needed another 5-10 minutes on the lower rack.  It was a great way to use an abundance of CSA tomatoes.  Very easy and quick to make, too.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 06:52:16 AM »
oh dear god that looks good!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 09:00:10 AM »
drooling here.  Thanks for finding that.  I didn't think it was me but did go searching through my Pinterest boards (hardly used anymore) just in case and found some things I've been meaning to make there.

And thanks BA
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »
My mom's is pretty similar. No ricotta, but she uses pesto. And hers is round.  :D

That pic looks so yummy!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 11:05:16 AM »
Yes, there are lots of variations on this theme. That was the particular one I was thinking of but you can slather all kinds of things on puff pastry and it makes a simple/fast/gorgeous option.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
That tomato tart is lovely.  Looks like culinary stained glass.

Spawn the Elder (who is becoming a pretty skilled and adventurous cook) and I went down a Google rabbit hole this past weekend digging into essays, photos, and recipes for Philly/Jersey-style tomato pies.  These are nothing like the tart above or the more southern quiche-like tomato pie with a pastry crust.  Jersey/Philly tomato pies appear to be something akin to foccacia with tomato sauce slathered on top.  :!:

Edited to delete NJ references.  The NJ/Trenton tomato pie is yet a different beast!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:48:34 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
Our tomatoes are in and they are fantastic.  The sungolds are my favorite.  They are delicious for just snacking on.  We also have better boys and lemon boys.  My guy has caught the vegetable gardening bug and is already planning raised beds and growing greens this winter.  He has also started watching homesteading videos and I have been regaling him with Rio tales!

Next year, I want to grow eggplant too.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »
Our tomatoes are in and they are fantastic.  The sungolds are my favorite.  They are delicious for just snacking on.  We also have better boys and lemon boys.  My guy has caught the vegetable gardening bug and is already planning raised beds and growing greens this winter.  He has also started watching homesteading videos and I have been regaling him with Rio tales!

Next year, I want to grow eggplant too.
Oh God...

A friend came and helped pick some tomatoes yesterday,  took home a small laundry basket full.  I have about 4 laundry baskets in the kitchen to deal with.  Yesterday dh made salsa, chili sauce the day before.  The freezer needs to get reorganized so I can stuff more in.

Yesterday I watched a Wilderstead video about canning stewed tomatoes.  I always thought it was too risky but this guy made it look easy so I'm going to try it.  So much less plastic and easier storage for soup and stuff this winter.  Jan, he might like the Wilderstead guy.  He was folksy and cute, like you kind of expect a homesteader to be.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »
Every market is out of gluten free phyllo and i want to make the tart.  :grr: I really do not want to go thru the hassle of making that from scratch.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
Oh God...

A friend came and helped pick some tomatoes yesterday,  took home a small laundry basket full.  I have about 4 laundry baskets in the kitchen to deal with.  Yesterday dh made salsa, chili sauce the day before.  The freezer needs to get reorganized so I can stuff more in.

Yesterday I watched a Wilderstead video about canning stewed tomatoes.  I always thought it was too risky but this guy made it look easy so I'm going to try it.  So much less plastic and easier storage for soup and stuff this winter.  Jan, he might like the Wilderstead guy.  He was folksy and cute, like you kind of expect a homesteader to be.

I will let him know.  He has been watching Roots and Refuge. We found another one the other day which was also good.  Always young, cute couples with little kids running around...
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »
I will let him know.  He has been watching Roots and Refuge. We found another one the other day which was also good.  Always young, cute couples with little kids running around...
Yeah, this guy wasn't.  Older bearded dude in a hat.  He kind of reminded me of Red Green.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 06:41:44 AM »
I made the 1802 tomato tart for dinner last night. It was great. Bf said it was my #3 best recipe I’ve made him so far.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
What were #1 and #2?

Someone on twitter suggested putting slices of tomatoes on your rice as it cooks, whether in a rice cooker, pot, instant pot, etc. “You will thank me later,” he says.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
I made a Spanish baked rice recipe long ago that had tomatoes in it and was delicious.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »
What were #1 and #2?

Someone on twitter suggested putting slices of tomatoes on your rice as it cooks, whether in a rice cooker, pot, instant pot, etc. “You will thank me later,” he says.
Both pizza :D

The first (I do not see online) is a makhani indian pizza using paneer cubes as the cheese. This is the second one
https://www.veganricha.com/2014/09/buffalo-chickpea-pizza-white-garlic-sauce-celery-ranch-vegan-recipe.html

+-SUPPORT US