Forum > Food

Cooking with Whole Chilis

(1/3) > >>

Run Amok:
I've never really cooked with whole chilis too much. They can be a little hard to source and a pain to work with. But, I've been cooking with them more lately and it's amazing how much of a difference it makes. Just a little PSA.

I made a riff on this:https://altonbrown.com/taco-potion-19-recipe/ last night with some leftover ancho chili powder and chipotle chili powder and it was really, really good.

So, just a little cooking PSA!

caribougrrl:
like whole dried chilis? or fresh chilis?

Run Amok:
Dried.

caribougrrl:
the reason I asked is because I'm surprised they are hard to source dried! I cannot predictably get specific dried peppers, but I live in a remote area... whenever I visit my parents, I tend to load up on stuff like dried peppers. They live in a pretty rural area of Ontario, but I can walk to a small grocery by their house and buy a huge selection of dried chilis

last week I saw chipotle chili powder for the first time EVER in a grocery store... I have a pile of dried chipotle right now, but I was stoked to see the chipotle powder in case I ever do run out

so, now I'm curious what you do have available other than ancho and chipotle?

my cupboard right now has:
ancho
pasilla
cascabel
arbol
guajilo
birds eye
chipotle (meco and morita)

I'm not sure that I always put them to their best use though.

Run Amok:
Oh, yes, I can find dried chilis in general. But, find it harder to find specific chilis. That can be an excercise in futility. I live a long way from where chilis are grown though! Mostly, they are just kind of a pain to work with. In the same way that starting with whole spices is a pain but produces far superior results! I don't have a spice grinder although I'm definitely contemplating it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version