Author Topic: Fall marathon plans?  (Read 28776 times)

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Fall marathon plans?
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »
Yeah! I will be with my sister and a couple of other friends, and we'll definitely keep in the loop to make a plan. I've already warned them I might have other "running friends" in the area...  :)
This space for rent.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
Yeah! I will be with my sister and a couple of other friends, and we'll definitely keep in the loop to make a plan. I've already warned them I might have other "running friends" in the area...  :)

Ok.. I'm open the entire time.. either Saturday afternoon or after the race on Sunday... I will be at mile ten water stop but can't count on seeing each other there as it's a super crazy water stop!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »
Ok sounds good! I'm starting to get excited about plans...both training-wise and travel/logistics.  :)
This space for rent.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »
Signed up for a Ragnar relay in October.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
Signed up for a Ragnar relay in October.

WHEREWHEREWHERE?  Come do Vegas in November with us!  :smokin:

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »
WHEREWHEREWHERE?  Come do Vegas in November with us!  :smokin:

Comfort, Texas. I've never done a Ragnar, but I don't think this one is traditional? It goes in circles.

VEGAS BABY!!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »
That is going to be one hilly focking race, you know that, right?

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
Doesn't sound very COMFORTable!  :sidesplit:

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »
Not if you stay at the Comfort Inn.   :P
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
That is going to be one hilly focking race, you know that, right?

I live in the Hill Country!!

I did Bandera 25k a couple of years ago, and it can't be any worse than that.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
I have two deal-breakers when it comes to marathons:

(1) There can be no "companion" events, like a half, 5K, 10K, or even a relay.

(2) It can't be a jackass race, which eliminates virtually every race that has over 2000 finishers, including Boston.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »
Didn't organize your own marathon, too?
This space for rent.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
I have two deal-breakers when it comes to marathons:

(1) There can be no "companion" events, like a half, 5K, 10K, or even a relay.

(2) It can't be a jackass race, which eliminates virtually every race that has over 2000 finishers, including Boston.

I have no real opinion about 1, but definitely agree with 2.  If you want to have a small event, then it can often only be profitable with smaller races.  I especially like it when the smaller races start after the marathon.
I ran Boston last in 2010 and I disliked how crowded it is.  Never doing that again.  When I first ran it, it had like 6,000 runners in it. That was manageable.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
I am happy to participate in any marathon willing to have me. I prefer smaller ones, but only because pre-race logistics can be a hassle.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
I'm bad-tempered about all this stuff, so y'all don't take me too seriously, nor should you take my comments personally. I'm happy that running is so popular.  :old:

Didn't organize your own marathon, too?

Yes, I did, and thanks for remembering.  :)  The marathon no longer exists, but I still direct a few other races.

I have no real opinion about 1, but definitely agree with 2.  If you want to have a small event, then it can often only be profitable with smaller races.  I especially like it when the smaller races start after the marathon.
I ran Boston last in 2010 and I disliked how crowded it is.  Never doing that again.  When I first ran it, it had like 6,000 runners in it. That was manageable.

The mega race costs the runner more money, yet the runner is treated more like cattle. The logistics can be nightmarish, there's no hope for good spectating, and so on. The races keep getting bigger and bigger, too, while the organizers cut services to runners. (Witness no bag drop at Boston this year. Witness an attempt to have no bag drop at New York two years ago.) It's all about the $$ for the organizers, and the runners suffer. Yet for some reason the demand for these idiotic events continues to increase. These runners are all about the bling and glitz and the goody bag. Those are not my people and I choose not to race them.

Give me Clarence DeMar in NH. About 250 finishers. The race director stands at the transport buses and shakes every runner's hand as they get on the bus. Amazing, scenic course.

Give me Holyoke (Walter Childs) in MA. No more than 100 finishers. Awesome volunteer support. Amazing post-race feast.

Give me a race where I know my place, so that passing someone (or getting passed) means something.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:49:43 PM by i am party »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »

Give me Clarence DeMar in NH. About 250 finishers. The race director stands at the transport buses and shakes every runner's hand as they get on the bus. Amazing, scenic course.

Give me Holyoke (Walter Childs) in MA. No more than 100 finishers. Awesome volunteer support. Amazing post-race feast.

Did both of these, a long time ago.  I think Holyoke had only 50 runners back then.  And yes about the post-race feast.  I won some kind of award there, too. I don;t remember why, but I ended up with a very nice pair of In Sport running shorts.
I am surprised Clarence Demar is still that small.  I loved the course, but the last miles had some heavier traffic. It's on my list of races to run again, though.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
I live in the Hill Country!!

I did Bandera 25k a couple of years ago, and it can't be any worse than that.

Ok just checking. The land I used to have is just outside of Comfort.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »
Did both of these, a long time ago.  I think Holyoke had only 50 runners back then.  And yes about the post-race feast.  I won some kind of award there, too. I don;t remember why, but I ended up with a very nice pair of In Sport running shorts.
I am surprised Clarence Demar is still that small.  I loved the course, but the last miles had some heavier traffic. It's on my list of races to run again, though.

I've done Holyoke twice in the past 6 or so years. Each time I won a pair of running shoes. The race is organized by a running store, so...

The DeMar course has changed a lot, even recently. The course is better than ever.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
I've done Holyoke twice in the past 6 or so years. Each time I won a pair of running shoes. The race is organized by a running store, so...

The DeMar course has changed a lot, even recently. The course is better than ever.

I did Holyoke twice, but over 20 years ago...  Good news about CDM, I already liked the course back then, except for the end.  CDM was an easy course, too.

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
CDM added a half for this year.  I may run it as part of the 18 I have on the schedule that day.

I like the bigger races because I'm super slow and I like not being last.
I prefer thoughtful, long form written journalism.   Or memes.

+-SUPPORT US