Author Topic: Camera consistently over exposes  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
Camera consistently over exposes
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
So I have a Rebel T3 - about 2 years old now.  I feel that since my trip to Australia the camera has started to consistently over expose images taken in the creative settings.  I adjusted down 2/3 of a stop - which improved things a bit, but not completely.  I've tested it with a range of lenses - consistent behaviour no matter what the lens.  I've removed filters.  No change.  I've swapped memory cards.  No change.  I've changed metering modes.  I was using center averaging orignally.  Now evaluative seems to work somewhat better.  I've changed white balance.  Not much difference. 

So any ideas?  Is the camera toast? 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: Camera consistently over exposes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
Have you seen this?

1)  In the semi-automatic modes (Program, Tv, and Av) the camera has a feature called "Exposure Compensation".  There's a button on the rear of the camera with [Av +/-] on it.  This allows you to tell the camera that you want it to exposure the shot brighter or darker than the exposure that the camera would otherwise have selected based on metering.

Exposure compensation has no effect when shooting Manual because when doing Manual, the exposure indicator in the viewfinder (or the rear of the camera) will indicate the "0" position (center position) if your exposure matches what the light meter reads.  If you wanted to over-expose or under-expose when shooting manual, you'd just adjust the exposure so the exposure indicator reads higher or lower.

Here's a video demonstrating how to adjust your exposure compensation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBOo1aOb3IE

People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

+-SUPPORT US