Author Topic: What should be the first thing I make in my cast iron skillets?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
I got two today. They are pre-seasoned. They are pampered chef. Outside of putzing around in my grandma's kitchen, which she used her cast iron for essentially everything, I have not really used a cast iron skillet. So what should my first meal be? (I already have ideas, FTR.) I have a 12 inch and a 10 inch. Also, to clean, I only use water right? (I will also google how to take care of them again.)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: What should be the first thing I make in my cast iron skillets?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 05:46:31 PM »
Bacon!!!

Even though they came seasoned, you’re gonna want to keep seasoning for a bit. Don’t try eggs for a while.

There’s a long cast iron thread somewhere, I’ll search for it next time I’m on my laptop.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 06:27:47 PM »
Ha! I was going to say fried eggs! But I use very hot olive oil and fry them quickly at high temps—you definitely don’t want yolks on them.

Bacon sounds better though...

Offline redkitty

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:07:18 PM »
Bacon!!!

Even though they came seasoned, you’re gonna want to keep seasoning for a bit. Don’t try eggs for a while.

There’s a long cast iron thread somewhere, I’ll search for it next time I’m on my laptop.

I'll make eggs tomorrow....no just kidding.

We made all of our bacon in the oven this morning (before they arrived.) I actually made a pizza. It was good.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »
That pizza looks delicious.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 10:39:26 PM »
I’m totally making that KAF recipe. Yum!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 12:48:37 AM »
Recently I've used mine for a dutch baby, to make frybread for navajo tacos,  for pita style flat breads, to fry schnitzle,  & to sear porkchops.

https://altonbrown.com/dutch-baby-pancake-recipe/

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/perfect-pan-seared-pork-chop-recipe.html

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/soft-wrap-bread-recipe

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 05:42:43 AM »
Bacon!!!

so, also: duck breast, skin-on chicken, skin-on salmon, sausage

and pour off duck fat and bacon fat to use for roasted potatoes or other veg (use your skillet as the roasting pan)... and just FYI both fats are good for popping corn too, just not in a skillet :p

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »
That pizza looks delicious.
My bf loved it and I made myself the gf version they have linked there.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 08:16:54 AM »
and, grease the skillet well with butter and use it to bake cornbread

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 01:02:47 PM »
Fry some potatoes, onions and peppers.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »
I forgot to buy bacon while out today. Shoot. today's experiment will be a deep dish cookie. Then served warm with ice cream. I am still trying to figure out how to get it out of the pan. The recipe suggests eating it out of the pan, but i don't trust any of us to not burn ourselves on it.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 07:13:40 PM »
It occurred to me after I cooked sausage for our lasagna that I should have used one of my skillets. Sigh. I’ll eventually remember I have them.

Here’s the cookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline redkitty

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »
The cookie wasn't that good. I used the Toll House recipe. The cookie just didn't bake properly. If I do it again, i will use the 12 inch pan and a different recipe.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »
I made focaccia in mine the other day. V yummy!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »
I'm gonna pull mine out to make a dutch baby in the morning
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline redkitty

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
We finally made bacon in one of the skillets. My DH made it both times and he prefers the cast iron over our other methods (regular pan or oven.) I also made pork chops in it the other day. It was ok. I browned them first (breaded) and then put in the oven to finish cooking. I think I left them in too long.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 12:23:48 PM »
Alton Brown's method of cooking a rib-eye in a cast-iron skillet is soooooo good.  Grilling with some wood has its place, but you got to try it!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe-2131274

There are a lot of myths associated with cast-iron cooking and care.  I probably have most of the different sized skillets and some of them are 70+ yrs old, and some are 10 yrs old.  The new stuff can have really rough interior surfaces.  I sanded mine and it made a huge difference.  They're almost as slick as the old ones
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
Alton Brown's method of cooking a rib-eye in a cast-iron skillet is soooooo good.  Grilling with some wood has its place, but you got to try it!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe-2131274

There are a lot of myths associated with cast-iron cooking and care.  I probably have most of the different sized skillets and some of them are 70+ yrs old, and some are 10 yrs old.  The new stuff can have really rough interior surfaces.  I sanded mine and it made a huge difference.  They're almost as slick as the old ones

That looks amazing.

I love my cast iron skillets. They pretty much never leave the stove top because they get used so frequently. They’re heavy though! Aside from the weight, the only other time I don’t use them is if I’m searing meat and making a sauce afterwards, which ends up being maybe 70% of the time. I like to be able to see the sauce developing, which is hard on a black surface.

+-SUPPORT US