Forum > Running

Is the New York Marathon really that hilly?

(1/2) > >>

Mom of Scooby:
People posting on line keep talking about how hilly it is.. yeah.. I get that the bridges incline and I get there are some hills in Central park and that coming up 5th Avenue is a hill... but the elevation does not look that bad?

Is it one of those.. this is relative type things?  Like if you run in Iowa, yeah it's hilly, but if you run the hills of Valley Forge park it's nothing?

Fast Eddie:
Depends on how many homeless people you need to jump over. 

nadra's babydaddy:

--- Quote from: Mom of Scooby on October 22, 2014, 02:21:50 PM ---Is it one of those.. this is relative type things?  Like if you run in Iowa, yeah it's hilly, but if you run the hills of Valley Forge park it's nothing?

--- End quote ---

Mostly this.  The Utah elites I know who have run it find the 'hilly' description amusing.

arc918:
I was expecting the bridges (= man-made hills), but Central Park was tough as it at the end of the race.

FWIW - I'm a flat lander, so I have to actively seek out hills to train on.  So if you eat hills for breakfast on a daily basis, no worries.

merigayle:
Marine Corps was surprisingly hilly, but I am notorious for not reading course descriptions. I've run Pocono a couple times so "hilly" is relative. You will be fine, your training was solid, you really need to not worry so much but instead visualize your race, including your finish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version