Forum > Running

My First Marathon Race Report

(1/7) > >>

BobM59:
(MODS:  Does this go here?  Elsewhere?  Feel free to move but lemme know if/where it goes)

Yesterday was the big day for me, as I officially accepted the challenge and attempted to run the BayState Marathon.

It's heralded as being the easiest of marathons.  Flat as hell, easy terrain, etc.  I found that it is still shockingly 26.2 miles; who'da thunk.

I had prepped to the best of my abilities but was still nervous as hell.  My longest training run was 20 miles; I had failed to finish long runs during training due to dehydration or hip pain on separate occasions.  I was going in completely solo, no partners, buddies, etc.

The stars aligned and things went great!  Weather was perfect (started at 42, ended low 50's), low wind, no rain.  I ran with the 3:25 pace pack until the 13.1 mark where the pacers stopped pacing and the pack pulled away from me a bit.  My body held up really well, and I was able to essentially zone out until about mile 22.  From there, I switched away from comedic podcasts (designed to keep me from getting overhyped) to a combination of Rage Against The Machine / Rocky Soundtrack to carry me home.  Worked like a charm!

Finished at 3:28:15 or so, for 354/1530 placement.  Didn't BQ but had absolutely no plans to; my three goals were:
 - Finish (check)
 - Finish under 4:00:00 (check)
 - Finish under 3:30:00 (check)

Injury free and sore today, I'm floating!  I don't think I could beat that time if I tried ten more times, and I'm looking forward to rebalancing my fitness with much more speed work and strength training.  I'm certainly thrilled to finally cross this off my masochistic bucket list!

JBM:
Great job! I love that race. I've run the marathon I think 4 times and always have had great races there - I qualified there myself a few years ago. You are speedy!

tazawa:
Congrats! One of my colleagues did it. I haven't heard from him yet. I'd like to try the half next year.

Fionn mac Cumhail:
Fucking A, sonny jim! That's a hell of a go!!  Congrats!

Schrödinger’s Bat:
Impressive time for your first marathon (or any marathon for that matter). Congrats. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version