Author Topic: Need an easy, signature French dish  (Read 11422 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Need an easy, signature French dish
« on: November 15, 2014, 09:45:13 PM »
I'm asking for my daughter, so she can take it to her French class for extra credit. I was thinking apple galette.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
Re: Need an easy, signature French dish
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
I'm asking for my daughter, so she can take it to her French class for extra credit. I was thinking apple galette.

Nothing could be easier than ratatouille. Though tarte tatin is very easy make, too, and would be more welcomed to eat in class than ratatouille.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
Oh, I have another one! I love making salade niçoise cause it's so easy, and filling!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »

Frankly, what kind of a French program is your daughter enrolled in?
Should European s get extra credit for bringing a hotdog to class?

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »
My mom made crepes for me to take to French class. I think I took fruit and cream to have with them.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

Huh?

Language classes do this all the time in American schools. Even my French class for adults do this, each of us students are encouraged to share French recipes or food we know how to make at home.

I don't know what they do in the language classes in European schools, but perhaps, the problem with European classes that study American culture is that there's really nothing original in the American cuisine because the US is comprised of hundreds of cultures from around the world that became part of the American culture such as the hotdog, even though you could say it originated from Poland or Germany. But who cares?

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 01:19:51 PM »
BTW, Natasha, I'm not sure what is the apple galette. Is it a tart?

I just looked it up. It's basically a French version of the apple pie, tarte de pomme a la normandie. I have made this before, and it's very, very good ! It''s different from the traditional apple pie that it is made with an almond cream called frangipane placed in the bottom of the pie crust before arranging the apples on top. Then glazed with apricot jelly on top. You can free form the crust shaped by hand, or you can use a traditional fluted pie pan. It's a beautiful tart when the apples are arranged in a spiral. I love this pie!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:24:42 PM by srsly »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »
Nothing could be easier than ratatouille. Though tarte tatin is very easy make, too, and would be more welcomed to eat in class than ratatouille.

That's what I was thinking. I love ratatouille, but it's not for everybody. The tart tatin in would be good. She could make one for Thanksgiving as practice.

Just French 101, freshman level class. She's been getting extra credit for going to the movies and seeing dubbed French movies too. I don't have a problem with it. Learning a language is way more fun and you're more likely to actually use it if there are practical applications.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 09:10:42 PM »
Huh?

Language classes do this all the time in American schools. Even my French class for adults do this, each of us students are encouraged to share French recipes or food we know how to make at home.

your adult class is a credit class? 

Students should get college credit in a French course for cooking?? Would it not be better to do something with the language if you are going to get "extra credit" in a language class? 

I teach languages, but I do not do any of this sh*t. nor do my colleagues.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
My Italian professor encouraged us to have cooking get-togethers off hours to experience Italian cuisine and culture.  I remember doing this.  We didn't get extra credit for it perse, but it was a nice bonding experience and I remember hanging out and studying with some of my classmates, so maybe it helped that way.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 12:55:04 AM »
your adult class is a credit class? 

Students should get college credit in a French course for cooking?? Would it not be better to do something with the language if you are going to get "extra credit" in a language class? 

I teach languages, but I do not do any of this sh*t. nor do my colleagues.

Let's just say that I'm not going to receive my doctorate in French taking that class. :D I don't get why it matters to you, Ice Cream.

The recipes we exchanged in the class were in French. We learned a bunch of vocabularies when each student shared their recipes with one another. How can that be a bad thing? 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »
Let's just say that I'm not going to receive my doctorate in French taking that class. :D I don't get why it matters to you, Ice Cream.

The recipes we exchanged in the class were in French. We learned a bunch of vocabularies when each student shared their recipes with one another. How can that be a bad thing? 

The OP indicates that bringing a dish of food to class (prepared by mom, it seems) yields extra credit. There are no requirements about a recipe in French. And if the recipe were in French, I am sure google translate would take care of any issues in two seconds.

(1) What is the learning outcome of this activity? How are you learning a language by bringing a dish to class? (and watching dubbed movies?)
(2) How does it not favor wealthier students who can afford to buy the ingredients and who have the time on their hands to cook this thing?

college-level classes are quite different from non-credit adult conversation classes for personal enrichment.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 08:45:28 AM »
I am assuming it is to learn more about the culture? We had exposure to the cultural aspects of the language we learned in high school. I see no issue with it, seems like a fun way to get the children involved in learning more than just their vocab words for the week.

As far as french cuisine, i am the wrong person to ask about that :D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »
Is Natasha making the recipe?  I thought she was just asking for suggestions.  Food is a big part of any culture and I think as extra credit it is a great idea.  Nobody has to cook if they do not want to. 
Because PANTS

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
My Italian professor encouraged us to have cooking get-togethers off hours to experience Italian cuisine and culture.  I remember doing this.  We didn't get extra credit for it perse, but it was a nice bonding experience and I remember hanging out and studying with some of my classmates, so maybe it helped that way.

Yes!  We did this in French Club in high school and my French professor in college encouraged it too.  He also encouraged us to eat at the French tables in the dining room at the international dorm (students from abroad lived there, as well as US students interested in different languages and culture).  It was so much fun!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »
Is Natasha making the recipe?  I thought she was just asking for suggestions.  Food is a big part of any culture and I think as extra credit it is a great idea.  Nobody has to cook if they do not want to.

Nope. Natasha indicated that her daughter will practice making something over thanksgiving, so I don't know where Ice Cream got the idea that the parents are going to make the dishes for their kids.

I agree with you that food is a huge part of any culture. And when you travel to those countries I think it's a good idea to learn about food commonly eaten there. Oh wait, this means the poor kids cannot afford to travel, right? Well maybe we need to rethink this second language courses if it means only the rich kids could benefit from it.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 09:53:04 AM »
The OP indicates that bringing a dish of food to class (prepared by mom, it seems) yields extra credit. There are no requirements about a recipe in French. And if the recipe were in French, I am sure google translate would take care of any issues in two seconds.

(1) What is the learning outcome of this activity? How are you learning a language by bringing a dish to class? (and watching dubbed movies?)
(2) How does it not favor wealthier students who can afford to buy the ingredients and who have the time on their hands to cook this thing?

college-level classes are quite different from non-credit adult conversation classes for personal enrichment.

I think you're way too serious to be a language teacher. :D

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 11:08:17 AM »
I think you're way too serious to be a language teacher. :D

I think Ice Cream is a tenured university professor. She would have terrified me as an undergraduate. :)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »
I have no opinion on credit for cooking in a language class, but I would like to say that tarte tatin is one of my favourite french desserts.

Pissaladiere would be easy to share... so would gougeres.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:45 PM »
I think Ice Cream is a tenured university professor. She would have terrified me as an undergraduate. :)

Ice Cream sounds very cold. :D

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 07:51:46 PM »
I have no opinion on credit for cooking in a language class, but I would like to say that tarte tatin is one of my favourite french desserts.

Pissaladiere would be easy to share... so would gougeres.

Pissaladiere would be good. I imagine others would be bringing sweet stuff. A savory dish could be a nice thing to add in the spread. Gougeres may be easier to make though. I might make them for Thanksgiving instead of buying bread rolls.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:13 PM »

I was a language major and took many language courses (Foreign and English courses) throughout high school and college.  Those professors were by and large the strictest and most exacting (along with my linguistics professor).  I don't know if it's that the subject attracts/requires the personality or that the subject demands that level of adherence and ultimately impacts their way of teaching, but that was my experience.  Ultimately I appreciated it, though not initially.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
I was a language major and took many language courses (Foreign and English courses) throughout high school and college.  Those professors were by and large the strictest and most exacting (along with my linguistics professor).  I don't know if it's that the subject attracts/requires the personality or that the subject demands that level of adherence and ultimately impacts their way of teaching, but that was my experience.  Ultimately I appreciated it, though not initially.

It's not unheard of that language teachers take their students on trips abroad to expose them to food, culture, etc of the country the language they are learning is used.

I have a friend who is French, teaches french, and has phd in linguistics. She is not above introducing her students to French cuisine, in fact ordered some french macarons from me to hand them out to her students for halloween. she said her students have never heard of them and wanted to remedy that. She teaches college level.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:27:35 PM by srsly »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 10:32:50 PM »
I think that's terrific!  And I had processors who taught us culture, too. I'm just saying that not wanting to give extra credit for these efforts (vs encouraging them) does not surprise me.

+-SUPPORT US