Author Topic: Perpetual Soup Thread  (Read 65938 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Perpetual Soup Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »
Sure! Have you found any recipes in it that you especially like?
I haven't opened it in years. I have been pressure cooking mainly for the past 15 years, rarely slow cooking.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2019, 07:06:05 PM »
The split pea soup turned out very well! I used 1/2 the thyme called for, as it easily gets overpowering for me, 2 bay leaves, and about 2/3 tsp of the liquid smoke.   

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2019, 07:20:07 PM »
Thanks!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2019, 06:52:27 AM »
After wanting to make this for a long time, I finally did. The ingredients are weird (just like the other soup I recently made of hers and posted iwth the wild rice, mushrooms, salsa and creamcheese) but worked! Too many lasagna noodles so will reduce next time. That may be because they were GF or just the recipe.

https://www.veganricha.com/2018/02/instant-pot-lasagna-soup-vegan.html

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
I made the best beef barley soup this weekend.  Roasted the bone, made the stock in the instant pot, then the soup is just 1 c each of diced veg, 6 c water, 6 c broth, 1 c barley, salt and pepper.  So delicious.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »
I made the best beef barley soup this weekend.  Roasted the bone, made the stock in the instant pot, then the soup is just 1 c each of diced veg, 6 c water, 6 c broth, 1 c barley, salt and pepper.  So delicious.

That sounds good.  I've been reading about summer savory lately.  You don't really see it in stores down here.  Pretty much have to order it online.  Summer savory seems like an herb that turns up in Canadian recipes pretty frequently.  I bet it would be a great addition to your soup for some extra umami. 

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
That's interesting - summer savoury is definitely common here, I grow it in the garden.  Good idea, I'll try that!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »
That sounds good.  I've been reading about summer savory lately.  You don't really see it in stores down here.  Pretty much have to order it online.  Summer savory seems like an herb that turns up in Canadian recipes pretty frequently.  I bet it would be a great addition to your soup for some extra umami. 

dried summer savoury is a key ingredient in Homestyle Newfie cooking! it's about the only spice that gets used other than black pepper...

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »
dried summer savoury is a key ingredient in Homestyle Newfie cooking! it's about the only spice that gets used other than black pepper...
I took the peppercorns out of the beef stock recipe this time and like the taste much better.  I'm definitely going to try the summer savoury though!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2019, 05:41:35 PM »
After wanting to make this for a long time, I finally did. The ingredients are weird (just like the other soup I recently made of hers and posted iwth the wild rice, mushrooms, salsa and creamcheese) but worked! Too many lasagna noodles so will reduce next time. That may be because they were GF or just the recipe.

https://www.veganricha.com/2018/02/instant-pot-lasagna-soup-vegan.html

this looks good, but where do you find quick cooking red lentils?  I have some regular ones in the house, though.
May try this tomorrow or the day after.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2019, 06:25:04 PM »
this looks good, but where do you find quick cooking red lentils?  I have some regular ones in the house, though.
May try this tomorrow or the day after.
I used regular ones. I assume she called them quick cook because brown ones takes much longer to cook.

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »
I have a big pot of chicken noodle with homemade egg noodles in the pot for tonight. Just pulled some homemade bread out of the oven.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2019, 08:07:06 PM »
Oh, homemade egg noodles!  Do you have a recipe?

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2019, 08:27:18 PM »
Oh, homemade egg noodles!  Do you have a recipe?

I just pour flour (roughly a cup) into a bowl and add salt (a good tsp or so depending on how much flour you use) and enough eggs (usually 2 for a cup but can vary depending on size of egg) to make it wet. Roll them out and cut to desired width. They usually end up more dumpling than noodle, but they are tasty. Some recipes call for milk, but I prefer them eggier than that.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2021, 08:48:17 PM »
I assume chili counts as a soup and I didn't know where else to put it & this seemed as good a necro-thread as any.

I didn't have any ground beef thawed and didn't want to mess with it, so I made a meatless chili, loosely based on this recipe:

https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-chili-recipe/

What I actually put in it:
olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion
minced garlic (maybe 3 cloves worth?)
1 (15 oz) can of black beans
2 (15 oz) cans of mild chili beans
1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic & onion
1 (6 oz) can mild green chilis
1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
salt
pepper
quite a bit of dried oregano, ancho chili powder, and cumin
paprika
a little bit of basil
a bay leaf
just more than a splash of bourbon
a bit of corn starch
some smoked jalapeno I had frozen probably late summer/early fall of 2019 (oops)

It had a really nice smoky flavor and some sour cream really brought it out.  (Served with 4-cheese Mexican blend shredded cheese, sour cream, and Jiffy corn muffins).

I'm sure I'll regret all the beans later, but it was REALLY tasty.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:53:18 PM by rocketgirl »
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2021, 09:36:35 PM »
Photos of said chili.

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2021, 09:37:16 PM »
looks great RG
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2021, 04:47:03 PM »
looks delicious! will have to make some.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2021, 05:12:29 PM »
https://minimalistbaker.com/simple-summer-corn-soup/

made this for DD tonight per her request

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »
Bumping the soup thread for November!

Today I have a simple veg soup on the stove: veg broth, onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, canned tomatoes. Bay leaf, S&P, pinch of thyme. I'm adding a can of great northern beans as well. Sort of minestrone-esque.

+-SUPPORT US