Author Topic: What's cooking for July 4th?  (Read 6629 times)

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Onward through the fog...
What's cooking for July 4th?
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »
I'm trying to decide...I smoked a brisket last week, so not that...chicken fajitas maybe?

Y'all?
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: What's cooking for July 4th?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
I tried this on the recommendation of several friends: http://www.marthastewart.com/978784/one-pan-pasta?czone=food/comfort-foods-center/comfort-foods-dishes

It was... ok. About what I thought it would be. Very easy and pretty good. I might make it again.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:50:30 AM »
I wondered about that recipe RA

I'm headed down to Trader Joe's in Greenville today.  Will see what ideas that brings.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »
I saw that on pinterest. Looked interesting. I love me everything Martha! LOL. Seriously.

For us? probably nothing exciting. We do not have a grill. Maybe make some seitan ribz?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »
I'm thinking of doing my faux mole.  I guess I'll have to see how the boss has the day planned out... if we're going to be home, I like to cook something that takes most of the day.  But not necessarily outside in the heat! 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
For breakfast I'll be making Oreo pancakes.  (gonna tweak the recipe a bit)
http://minimalistbaker.com/oreo-cookie-pancakes/

Lunch will probably be leftover chorizo/shrimp/pepper/onions/salsa from tonight.

Dinner I don't know yet, it's a family affair.  Which for me means a big salad. probably be asked to make a dessert.  I could do a blueberry crisp, top with a cherry and whipped cream, or maybe just some star shaped cupcakes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
For breakfast I'll be making Oreo pancakes.  (gonna tweak the recipe a bit)
http://minimalistbaker.com/oreo-cookie-pancakes/

Lunch will probably be leftover chorizo/shrimp/pepper/onions/salsa from tonight.

Dinner I don't know yet, it's a family affair.  Which for me means a big salad. probably be asked to make a dessert.  I could do a blueberry crisp, top with a cherry and whipped cream, or maybe just some star shaped cupcakes.
i have them in my pinterest. the filling looks iffy for me on if it would pass the family taste test.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »
probably bbq'd chicken, ersatz baked beans, green salad and/or slaw
and possibly peach pie

Offline CheryG

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
i have them in my pinterest. the filling looks iffy for me on if it would pass the family taste test.

I'll let you know how good it is.  I eat something similarish for a snack, so I know I'll like it.  I'll put 1/3C unsweetened coconut in a bowl, sprinkle some frozen fruit on top and stir some almond milk in.  Sometimes I microwave it, usually I don't.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »
I found wasabi mayonnaise at Trader Joe's so we're definitely having wasabi cole slaw.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »
Throwing a brisket and some turkey legs on the smoker.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
I was going to grip some BBQ chicken and corn on the cob and something else, but I have some fish in the fridge that was supposed to be tonite's dinner that I didn't cook. I have to cook it tomorrow or it will go bad. I'm thinking I'll just BBQ on Friday. That's our weekend anyways.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »
We are grilling up a steak. What we're making with it, I have no idea. But I do know there will be watermelon. Gotta pick one up tomorrow. We've been without one for two weeks. What have we become?! No watermelon in the house? That's cray.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »
I thought the Oreo pancakes were great.  The filling is very coconutty and quite sweet.  I made a half recipe into three small pancakes.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
steak, beans, salad. guacamole!

about to cut the watermelon.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
Breakfast  was 2 hard boiled eggs, an English muffin with too much butter, 2 slices of bacon,juice, and coffee with half an half.

Lunch?  A bunch of iced animal cookies and wine.

Dinner?  One bratwurst and 1/2 lb of mustard potato salad.  And Fritos.  and wine.  Maybe will dig for something sweet too. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
I grilled pork ribs and turkey burgers, a soy sausage and tons of pattypan squash.
Cole slaw made with wasabi mayo (from TJ's. love it)

We had watermelon and blueberry cheesecake ice cream wedges for dessert.  They were these mini pie-shaped wedges on popsicle stick holders and only 100 calories, really good.

+-SUPPORT US