Author Topic: Chia seeds  (Read 7651 times)

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
Chia seeds
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:41:16 AM »
Does anyone here use them? If so, how? I'm intrigued by what I've read but I trust y'all more than google :D
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Chia seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:42:04 AM »
Personally, I think they are kind of shammy. There are lower calorie ways to get the benefits of fiber. They are pretty high calorie, enough so that you'd probably want to cut something else to make room for them.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:18:57 AM »
Personally, I think they are kind of shammy. There are lower calorie ways to get the benefits of fiber. They are pretty high calorie, enough so that you'd probably want to cut something else to make room for them.

1!

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Onward through the fog...
Chia seeds
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
I like them...I put a spoonful of chia seeds and a spoonful of coconut oil in my mouth and chew it up...staves off hunger...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43:04 PM »
You eat them for the omega3 and minerals like calcium, not the fibre.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline Tim

• The Runners
Chia seeds
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »

I agree. And they make you run like a Tarahumara.

Offline Shadow38

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
I agree. And they make you run like a Tarahumara.

:D

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »

Well, YOU might eat them for that reason. But, here they are heavily marketed as a weightloss aid because they help you feel full (i.e. fiber)- with omega's and calcium being more of an "icing on the cake" kind of thing. They are pretty calorie dense so one should just keep that in mind before adding them to every meal.  :)

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »
I thought you added them to liquid and they swelled up huge so you could eat a lot of volume for not many calories.  That is why people are trying to use them for weight loss I think.  Like a tablespoon of seeds in a cup of liquid? So that would be a cup of pudding type goo for under 100 calories depending on what liquid you used?  If you are eating them dry though I guess they would add up quickly.  For me I put them in the same category as flax seeds.   
Because PANTS

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »
I hadn't heard about the fiber, just the Omega 3 thing.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
I thought you added them to liquid and they swelled up huge so you could eat a lot of volume for not many calories.  That is why people are trying to use them for weight loss I think.  Like a tablespoon of seeds in a cup of liquid? So that would be a cup of pudding type goo for under 100 calories depending on what liquid you used?  If you are eating them dry though I guess they would add up quickly.  For me I put them in the same category as flax seeds.   

It's the fiber that creats the "goo". There is all kinds of stuff out there about them keeping your blood sugar stable by protecting your stomach lining from sucking in the carbs... or something. But, again, it's just fiber + water. The reason I think it's shammy is because it's not some magic that only chia seeds can deliver. But, yes, basically the same as flax seeds.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
I had not heard the magic carb blocking thing  :D  I guess people are saying they expand in your stomach?  That sounds like woo.    I just thought people made buckets of the chia slime and ate that instead of ice cream so it was healthier/lower calorie and that is why they thought it was a miracle food.  I am not the biggest fan of the mucusy textured puddings but if you like pudding then I could see them being useful in that way. Otherwise they are pretty much another omega 3 seed. 
Because PANTS

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »
It's the fiber that creats the "goo". There is all kinds of stuff out there about them keeping your blood sugar stable by protecting your stomach lining from sucking in the carbs... or something. But, again, it's just fiber + water. The reason I think it's shammy is because it's not some magic that only chia seeds can deliver. But, yes, basically the same as flax seeds.

I love how people always want to make everything a magical super food. Most every food has its good health qualities.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »
I don't think it's 1tbs/cup for 100 calories... I think it's more like 2:1 water/chia. So, yeah, 1tbs is probably not going to be a diet buster... but I've seen a lot of people touting the chia pudding- which is like 1/4 cups of chia/serving... and saying how "guilt free" it is-without mentioning that you're getting a pretty significant # of calories. I think this kind of stuff is one of the reasons people end up being fat when they are "eating healthy". At about 150calories/tbs... chia seeds are pretty calorie dense. Hence my warning. But, there also seems to be a lot of funky math floating around. I see recipes that call for 3/4 cup and make 4 servings and claim they are only adding like 35 calories of chia. Unless soaking them somehow magically reduces the calorie content, I don't really see how that can be the case. '

Anyway, they certainly aren't going to hurt anything, as long as you plan for them in your daily calories. I just don't think the whole "super food" notion is a little silly.

Offline TK

• Fruit Stand
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
I like it.  I put a scoop of seeds into 8 oz of cold water, lime juice, and a dash of sugar.  Stir and let sit for 20 minutes. 

Offline SandraDee

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
Are these the same seeds that are in a Chia pet?
"People like you own the world" - ellenshana

Offline Tim

• The Runners
Chia seeds
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 06:13:17 PM »
Are these the same seeds that are in a Chia pet?

Yes.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 08:07:13 PM »
I think they're cute and I like how they get all frog egg like in water.

I make my Iskiate with coconut rum. 

+-SUPPORT US