Author Topic: Steaming lentils  (Read 11966 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Steaming lentils
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
Has anyone tried to make basic, steamed lentils?  How long should I steam them for?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Steaming lentils
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
I just simmer them and then strain. Until done. Usually 30 mins, but dried beans are variable. Also depends on the type of lentil.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
I just simmer them and then strain. Until done. Usually 30 mins, but dried beans are variable. Also depends on the type of lentil.

This.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:40:36 AM »
never heard of steaming lentils. What would be the purpose behind steaming them?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
never heard of steaming lentils. What would be the purpose behind steaming them?

Trader Joe's sells steamed lentils in a plastic bag.  I think it's one of those you just heat for 1 min. in the MW, but I am not sure.  They looked good, but I thought that they were expensive for lentils, and that I could make my own way cheaper.  It just seemed like a good idea. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:15:47 AM »
i buy a big bag of lentils for 69c. that is cheap and they are easy to make.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »
It is a good idea. Lentils are super cheap. I'd use black or green, not red, for this. Cooking them in stock with seasonings would give them more flavor. Keep an eye on them because you'll want to strain them before the get mushy. I can't think of a reason steaming would be preferred to simmering here, though, so that's what I'd do. They freeze well, so you can make a big batch and freeze individual portions.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
i buy a big bag of lentils for 69c. that is cheap and they are easy to make.

That is exactly why I wanted to steam my 69 cent bag.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »
It is a good idea. Lentils are super cheap. I'd use black or green, not red, for this. Cooking them in stock with seasonings would give them more flavor. Keep an eye on them because you'll want to strain them before the get mushy. I can't think of a reason steaming would be preferred to simmering here, though, so that's what I'd do. They freeze well, so you can make a big batch and freeze individual portions.

Thanks for the freezing tip!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
oh yeah. i freeze them. all beans freeze well so far in my experience.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Trader Joe's probably sells them steamed because they use commercial grade steamers, and when you're pre-cooking them for packaging like that it is easier to steam than to boil and drain.  Not so in a home kitchen. 

+-SUPPORT US