Author Topic: So I bought some extra firm tofu.. Suggestions on what to do with it?  (Read 7240 times)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
 I'd like to make something... remember I need EASY.. anything more then 3-4 steps and I get overwhelmed... and I don't eat carbs at night so preferably something with out carbs...

Thanks!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: So I bought some extra firm tofu.. Suggestions on what to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
Get thee to my pinterest page! But seriously will be back with some recipes
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »
Here is what I did last night:

Cut the block 6-8 slabs, then cut in half lengthwise. Pour soysauce over the top and let marinate for a few minutes (just while you get everything else ready). You can add vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and sriracha if you want to get fancy, but plain soy is yummy also. Heat a pan to high with a little oil. Place the slabs of tofu so that the most surface area is touching the pan. Wait until the soy starts to carmelize a bit and then flip to do the same thing on the other side. Pull out of pan and set aside.

Stir fry your favorite veg in the pan. I start with some fresh ginger, and garlic. Last night for veggies I used baby bok choy, cellery, broccoli, green beans and threw in some peas and edamame from the freezer. I usually start teh ginger and garlic and then add the broccoli, green beans and cellery plus a touch of water to soften the broccoli. Once everything is looking bright green and a little charred, I add the quicker cooking stuff. At the end, I add a splash of soy sauce and vinegar.

not very authentic, but people seem to like it. I don't like prepared sauces, but you can also go that way.

I eat it without rice. I usually cook a big pot of farro on sundays so if I have some ofthat, I throw it in with my veggies to heat it up. High in protein and fiber.

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »
Throw it away and get some meat.
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »
Another super easy thing to do is just to add it to your salad like any other veggie. Chop it in 1/2" cubes and mix it in. But, I like the taste/texture of plain cold tofu and not everyone does!

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
Here is what I did last night:

Cut the block 6-8 slabs, then cut in half lengthwise. Pour soysauce over the top and let marinate for a few minutes (just while you get everything else ready). You can add vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and sriracha if you want to get fancy, but plain soy is yummy also. Heat a pan to high with a little oil. Place the slabs of tofu so that the most surface area is touching the pan. Wait until the soy starts to carmelize a bit and then flip to do the same thing on the other side. Pull out of pan and set aside.

Stir fry your favorite veg in the pan. I start with some fresh ginger, and garlic. Last night for veggies I used baby bok choy, cellery, broccoli, green beans and threw in some peas and edamame from the freezer. I usually start teh ginger and garlic and then add the broccoli, green beans and cellery plus a touch of water to soften the broccoli. Once everything is looking bright green and a little charred, I add the quicker cooking stuff. At the end, I add a splash of soy sauce and vinegar.

not very authentic, but people seem to like it. I don't like prepared sauces, but you can also go that way.

I eat it without rice. I usually cook a big pot of farro on sundays so if I have some ofthat, I throw it in with my veggies to heat it up. High in protein and fiber.

Oh that sounds really good.. I have some broccolli green beans and pepper I can do this with.

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:09 PM »
I do an even easier version of cgraz's, it's one of my favorite quick meals.

Frozen diced onions/peppers*
garlic, to taste
1 bag broccoli slaw or cole slaw mix
1 block tofu
Hoisin Sauce
Hot Sauce
Optional addition: other leftover veggies, peanuts, walnuts, raisins, craisins, mango chunks**

Saute the onions and peppers until onions are translucent.  Add garlic and toast lightly.  Add broccoli slaw and saute until soft. Crumble in tofu, add hoisin and hot sauce to taste.  Saute briefly until fully heated, add as many other things as you like. 

*this is one of my favorite staples. Saves waste if you only need a half-cup chopped onion/peppers, and is crazy convenient.
** I keep a bag of mango chunks in the freezer, it's an easy way to add a little sweetness to a dish.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
I like to cube it up and soak it in balsamic vinegar for a few days, then use the vinegar saturated cubes in salad... but I know from experience they are good all on their lonesome too

there was a korean recipe I used to make which was essentially a steamed block of firm tofu covered in salted hot peppers... I'll see if I can find it... I can't remember if the tofu was marinated or not

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 07:11:29 AM »
I made it last night.. RA's method.. whatever I had on hand.. I used string beans, carrots, red peppers and onions and spinach... it was delicious! And so easy... I think next time I just need to use a little more garlic and ginger...

So how filled with protein is tofu? 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it! next time get the Twin Oaks brand and you will see how tasty tofu can be!
protein may vary based on type and brand.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it! next time get the Twin Oaks brand and you will see how tasty tofu can be!
protein may vary based on type and brand.

OK.. I used the kind that is by that company from Mass that makes the hot dogs and sausage and all that stuff.  I ate a a piece before I cooked it and it was good!  I will definitely start to cook with it more..

+-SUPPORT US