Author Topic: Tips/tricks for good vegetable soup  (Read 12017 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Tips/tricks for good vegetable soup
« on: January 13, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
So I have tried about a million times to make a good vegetable soup, tonight being one of them.  I always end up with bland soup, no matter the recipe.  Tonight I just dumped some veggie broth (swansons) with the frozen soup mix of veggies, a can of fire roasted tomatoes, a can of garlic and onion tomatoes, barley and some navy beans.  It is bland. What can I do to 1. salvage tonight's soup so it tastes good and 2. avoid this issue in the future.  I am not a vegetarian so it does not need to be a fully vegetarian soup.  I do NOT, however, like beef broth. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: Tips/tricks for good vegetable soup
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
Sautee up a bunch of onion and garlic and add it.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I made a kale, turnip, rutabega, chorizo soup last week that was so good we made it again when the left overs were finished.  I think a bit of smokey meat at the start really helps.  My SO made this last winter and it was really good (but he was in the kitchen for a long time with all the steps) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/White-Bean-Kale-and-Roasted-Vegetable-Soup-102844

So, for my soup, buy some really great chorizo, dice a link or two and brown in a dutch oven or soup pot.  Take out the meat and brown a diced onion and a few minced garlic cloves in a T of the fat.  Add 6 give or take cups of chicken broth and once boiling the root veggies and chorizo go in.  Let that cook until the veggies are almost tender.  Add bunch of stemmed kale very thinly sliced, cover and let cook 10-15 min until everything is tender.  Salt to taste (for me this is a good bit of salt.) Once I added mushrooms, another time diced plum tomatoes.  Really anything but the flavor profile is really helped with that bit of meaty goodness.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:40:12 PM »
I also generally add tomato paste.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:03:22 AM »
I am going to say 99% of the issue is salt. Add lots more salt and it will probably taste better.

When I make veggie soups I start with a mix (about 1 cup each) of onion, carrot, cellery, and several cloves of garlic, salt, + possibly some herbs. Sweat this mixture over low/med heat (enough to release juices of the veggies but not so much that it browns) for about 15 minutes. I often add a can of diced tomatoes here (depending on what kind of soup I'm making). From there you can add other stuff- veggies, beans, grains, whatever- then add your stock.

If I'm making a bean soup, I almost always make my own beans... it really makes a big difference.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:07:10 AM »
Also, until you get the hang of it- it can be helpful to follow a recipe- we've shared some really great ones in our past soup threads:

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=77346.0;all
http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=65334.0;all

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:29:09 AM »
Sautee up a bunch of onion and garlic and add it.

This is how evy soups should be started, IMHO.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 07:29:16 AM »
I was going to say tomato paste too!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
If you're planning out a weekday menu it really is easy to make your own broth.  Even if you buy a precooked rotisserie chicken.  I plan to use the chicken one night and then make the broth.  It makes all the difference in the world.  Good soup needs good broth. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »
If you're planning out a weekday menu it really is easy to make your own broth.  Even if you buy a precooked rotisserie chicken.  I plan to use the chicken one night and then make the broth.  It makes all the difference in the world.  Good soup needs good broth. 

I've tried this before to make chicken broth. It has never turned out well for me.  i have no idea what i am doing wrong, but it tends to be too watery tasting.  I think I am just not a good cook. 

The american test kitchen people highly recommended Swason's broth if you don't make your own broth.  Most of the advice of theirs that I have followed has worked out well for me (I got the cookbook from the library a few years ago..maybe I should get it again and see what they have to say abotu making vegetable soup.) 

I will start with the veggies first next time and then add broth. I knew I should have sauteed some onion but was being lazy (and the time before I did this my soup still sucked.) 

Offline maeby

• Turgid
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
I just made a fabulous vegetable soup last night, and I don't make my own stock either. It helps a lot if you start with 1 or 2 slices of bacon (since you said you aren't vegetarian). Also, I second the advice above to saute onion and garlic first. I also generally do celery and carrot at the same time and make sure when you add the broth you are scraping all of the brown bits off the bottom b/c that adds a lot of flavor.

Last night I did that then added broth, canned tomatoes, 1/2 a head of cabbage, okra, 4 red potatoes (diced), peas, corn, etc. and I also added some sriracha, ketchup (sounds gross but this is my mom's trick and you cannot taste it once it's finished...I generally just add about 1/8-1/4 cup, and squeeze some lemon in there. Also, like RA said above, don't be afraid to add a decent amount of salt. You need it with the potatoes and veggies.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 06:05:32 PM »
I am going to say 99% of the issue is salt. Add lots more salt and it will probably taste better.

I second this.

LilyLily

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »

When I make veggie soups I start with a mix (about 1 cup each) of onion, carrot, cellery, and several cloves of garlic, salt, + possibly some herbs. Sweat this mixture over low/med heat (enough to release juices of the veggies but not so much that it browns) for about 15 minutes. I often add a can of diced tomatoes here (depending on what kind of soup I'm making). From there you can add other stuff- veggies, beans, grains, whatever- then add your stock.

If I'm making a bean soup, I almost always make my own beans... it really makes a big difference.

This.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »
BALSAMIC VINEGAR at the end

I was in this same position, and could not believe the difference that the vinegar made at the end. Just seemed to unlock something in all of the flavors. Trust me!

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »
BALSAMIC VINEGAR at the end

I was in this same position, and could not believe the difference that the vinegar made at the end. Just seemed to unlock something in all of the flavors. Trust me!

This too! I always add balsamic vinegar to my lentil soup -- to individual bowls just before serving. Adds a wonderful flavor and definitely allows me to add less salt beforehand.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
Yep, vinegar is a great addition- I was just coming back to add that suggestion also. I like red wine vinegar in something like minestrone but balsamic is also very tasty.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 01:35:13 PM »
I like all of these suggestions. And i still have the soup I made on Sunday, so I will try to add some balsamic vinegar to the bowl tonight. 

now i want to try to make soup again this weekend...hmmmm....

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
...and salt, don't forget the salt. Seriously, that is 99% of the problem... I gaurantee it.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
...and salt, don't forget the salt. Seriously, that is 99% of the problem... I gaurantee it.

1.  salt salt salt salt salt

I like to squeeze a lemon or lime in before serving... or balsamic or cider vinegar... depends on the soup.

you might not have gone wrong with the chicken broth... if it's watery you can always simmer until it's reduced more (more concentrated)... very likely it just didn't have enough salt...

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
Tips/tricks for good vegetable soup
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
Spices, hot sauce, salsa, pepper etc...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

+-SUPPORT US