Author Topic: I'm making squash cake  (Read 12054 times)

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
Re: I'm making squash cake
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »
This thread makes me crave squash.  Yum!

You're not the only one!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
 :purr:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »
So, I've decided just to turn this into the squash thread, as I'm getting a kick out of roasting butternut squash.

I made the winter lasagna:

Veggies: It turned out really well. I sauteed 0.61 pounds of shittake mushrooms (thanks for the suggestion!) in olive oil (and sesame oil, since I ran out of olive oil), then added lots of kale, in a mixture of green and red. I can't really quantify the kale, but it was enough to overfill my fairly large saute pan for sure. It wasn't really cooking down, so I added cheap white wine to it. and continued to cook until it evaporated.

Cheese: I mixed one pound of ricotta cheese with significantly smaller amounts of mozzarella and parmesan cheese (just enough to give it structure).

I poured a little cheap white wine in the bottom of the pan, then covered the 9 x 13 pan with a thin layer of roasted squash. For subsequent layers, I poured the wine into the roasted squash, then mixed it up. This was a BRILLIANT idea. It changed the texture of the squash so it wasn't lumpy or stringy and just became an orange squash paste, perfect for spreading on a lasagna layer. Between the kale/mushroom mix and the squash, I probably used a cup of wine, maybe less. I used the contents of one fairly large roasted butternut squash.

Then I laid lasagna noodles. Then the cheese mixture, then half the kale/mushroom mix, then half the remaining squash/wine mix, then another layer of lasagna noodles, then the rest of the cheese mixture, then the rest of the kale mushroom mix, then the remaning squash/wine mix. Topped it all off with a bit more grated mozzarella and parmesan.

If I could do it again...I would add basil, and I'd mix the squash and wine right from the get-go. I might also strategize a bit to get three layers of noodles. As it is, it's sort of a low-carb lasagna...

It's heavy and rich and delicious.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:58:03 AM by Cool Foot Luke »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »
If you're open to branching out- I highly recommend delicata squash, you can also eat the skins!

I have this guy on my list to make. It calls for acorn squash but you could do it with butternut instead.

I also like to make a classic stuffing, stuff acorn squash halves and roast them. I take this as a dish to share at TG and it always gets raves.

This recipe is supah yummy. I usually roast some additional veggies with the chickpeas, including winter squash and cauliflower. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Garbanzo-Beans-and-Garlic-with-Swiss-Chard-241110

You can also cut it into cubes and make it the same way you'd make risotto.

I think butternut squash goes really nicely with sage, black beans, hazlenuts, cranberries, bitter greens, and wild rice. Not all at once... but those are things I like to include it with. Oh, it also goes nicely with flavors like chipotle, curry, an cumin (again, maybe not all at once)

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »
That lasagna looks yummy.

Butternut Squash Risotto is OMG so good. People told me that and I was like yeah OK so what until I tried it.

What is a field roast?
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

LilyLily

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »
This thread is going to make me buy and try butternut squash.

LilyLily

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
I bought butternut squash today.  How do I roast it up?

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
Slice off the very top and bottom and discard. Then carefully halve it lengthwise (take your time, this is tricky). Scoop out the seeds and stringy bits (there's not too much), pierce a few times with a fork, brush with a bit of oil, sprinkle the fleshy sides with salt, then place facedown on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or so, depending on the size.

LilyLily

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
That was GOOD!  I bought some Kale today and will be making quesadillas w/ the leftover squash tomorrow.  YUMMY!

+-SUPPORT US