Author Topic: Coconut oil...  (Read 17562 times)

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Onward through the fog...
Coconut oil...
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
Trending...a fad?...oh what the heck...I ordered some from amazon to try...cook with it or just slug down a tablespoon or two...supposed to be good for you and help with weight loss...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline crazypants

Re: Coconut oil...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
My sister is huge on food fads. She convinced me to start cooking with it. Then my girlfriend who is a dietitian talked to me about research showing how bad it is for you. I switched back to olive oil and canola oil. :nono:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
fad. I see people using it for everything, including sunblock, which sounds like a VERY VERY bad idea.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »
OBH- Use it, but use it in moderation. It's lard, so use the same way you'd use butter. A small pat will get you far.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:26:20 AM »
How is it lard? Lard is animal fat isn't it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:49:15 AM »
According to this, coconut oil's bad rep came from research on the partially hydrogenated kind -- you don't want hydrogenated oils. The virgin kind is a lot friendlier.
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline harmony

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
I use it for baking in one cookie recipe in particular.  Never tried it with anything else.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »
It gets lots of press as a sex lube... so, if you don't like how it's working in the kitchen...  :devil:
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »
Isn't it the big thing for paleo cooking? Instead of using other kinds of oil or butter, cooking with coconut oil is preferred...

I have no idea why.
This space for rent.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:43:50 AM »
Isn't it the big thing for paleo cooking? Instead of using other kinds of oil or butter, cooking with coconut oil is preferred...

I have no idea why.
that is how the cavemen cooked on their stoves, with coconut oil! duh!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »
I use it sometimes... But, it's not my fave. I still prefer olive oil for cooking.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »
I use it sometimes... But, it's not my fave. I still prefer olive oil for cooking.
Olive Oil has been my standard oil.
I started toying with canola oil for veggies specifically because it has a higher smoke point, and I've been experimenting with using higher heat for a shorter time to flash the veggies and keep some crispness in them.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »
I put it on my hair  :D
Because PANTS

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 06:37:51 AM »
Olive Oil has been my standard oil.
I started toying with canola oil for veggies specifically because it has a higher smoke point, and I've been experimenting with using higher heat for a shorter time to flash the veggies and keep some crispness in them.

I hate HATE the taste of canola oil.  I use sunflower oil when I don't want the richness of olive oil... and peanut oil for frying stuff.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
I'm also not a fan of canola because of the controversy surrounding canola/rapeseed. I also choose sunflower.

I don't really have too much trouble cooking veggies quickly in olive oil and just don't hit the smoke point. I like most veggies just warm and still pretty firm in the middle.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »
I've been cooking with it for the past 6 months or so.  It is more heat stable than olive oil, so it works better for frying stuff.  Also, you can just leave it sitting around at room temperature pretty much forever without it going bad.  I have a big jar of it that I leave out on the counter next to the stove and dip into whenever I need to keep something from sticking to a pan. 

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
I like it. I make chocolate cashew milk and other nut milks and sometimes blend it in.

Also have used it in baking before.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »
Trending...a fad?...oh what the heck...I ordered some from amazon to try...cook with it or just slug down a tablespoon or two...supposed to be good for you and help with weight loss...

That is equivalent to eating butter. Not healthy.

and how can any fat / oil help with weight loss? That makes no sense.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
Aren't x calories from fat more satisfying/filling than the same x calories from carbs?
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »
Aren't x calories from fat more satisfying/filling than the same x calories from carbs?

People say this but a calorie is a calorie. And are people really filled up by eating a spoonful of oil?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
the thought of taking a slug of oil makes me wanna wretch.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »

Maybe that is how it helps with weight loss.  ;)

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

It is solid at room temp though so it is more like eating butter.  Which probably does not help  :D
Because PANTS

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
no no no  :nono:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
Coconut oil...
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
I just melted a spoonful, added some honey, juice and chia seeds in a glass and drank it...not bad...
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 12:06:16 AM »
I take a slug of fish oil every morning.  I'm pretty sure it is more helpful than harmful.  Of course there are calories involved.  But is good nutrition solely about the calories?  If so, I'm going to get my daily allotment by eating ice cream topped with whipped cream and Grand Marnier. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 12:22:02 AM »
It is full of saturated fat which isn't really good for you.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 12:52:11 AM »
Fish oil isn't full of saturated fat.  I'm not sure where that idea comes from.  Or maybe you are talking about coconut oil?  The fats in coconut oil are mostly saturated, but there is some question about whether those particular fats are more helpful than harmful.  Google around, and I think you'll find that the thinking is getting a little more sophisticated than the old school view that all forms of saturated fat are bad for you. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
Fish oil isn't full of saturated fat.  I'm not sure where that idea comes from.  Or maybe you are talking about coconut oil?  The fats in coconut oil are mostly saturated, but there is some question about whether those particular fats are more helpful than harmful.  Google around, and I think you'll find that the thinking is getting a little more sophisticated than the old school view that all forms of saturated fat are bad for you. 

Every single major health organization worldwide disagrees with you as do the actual peer reviewed scientific studies and reviews.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

Coconut oil...
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
Everything I have read says that it's not terrible as long as you don't drink a cup every day.  Something about how the studies done on it used hydrogenated oil, which has a different effect on the body than unrefined oil?  I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Offline GreenMan

• The Runners
  • Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
Everything I have read says that it's not terrible as long as you don't drink a cup every day.  Something about how the studies done on it used hydrogenated oil, which has a different effect on the body than unrefined oil?  I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Yeah those were the studies that got publicity in the '90s when movie popcorn was first coming under scrutiny.

According to Wikipedia, there ARE differences among saturated fats -- those in unhydrogenated coconut oil are mainly lauric acid and medium-chain triglycerides, which may be less damaging than other sat fats. This is way outside my area of expertise, though.
Habits eat good intentions for breakfast.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
Has anyone tried that coconut cream?  Omg it is good.   
Because PANTS

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »
Yeah those were the studies that got publicity in the '90s when movie popcorn was first coming under scrutiny.

According to Wikipedia, there ARE differences among saturated fats -- those in unhydrogenated coconut oil are mainly lauric acid and medium-chain triglycerides, which may be less damaging than other sat fats. This is way outside my area of expertise, though.

May be is the key word. There is little to no real research saying this.

And honestly taking an oil just for supposed health benefits is a bad idea. Use a bit to cook with...fine but throwing it in everything or straight up eating it because it is a new fad is asking for trouble.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:43:25 PM by Magic Microbe »

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
Every single major health organization worldwide disagrees with you as do the actual peer reviewed scientific studies and reviews.

Every single one?  Dang, I'm good! 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
Every single one?  Dang, I'm good! 

It does in fact appear so.
When the science is there I may be convinced but it just isn't.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

Coconut oil...
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
Has anyone tried that coconut cream?  Omg it is good.

What is this you speak of?!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
It does in fact appear so.
When the science is there I may be convinced but it just isn't.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health
Interesting article, but I didn't see the part where it suggests that eating coconut oil "is equivalent to eating butter."  In fact, it quotes one researcher as saying, "Coconut oil is better than butter and trans fats."  So even though the scientific research on the subject is still a little thin, apparently there is enough evidence for some scientists to say that coconut oil is a healthier option for frying stuff than butter, margerine, bacon fat, Crisco, or any number of other less healthy choices.  Good enough for me. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
Interesting article, but I didn't see the part where it suggests that eating coconut oil "is equivalent to eating butter."  In fact, it quotes one researcher as saying, "Coconut oil is better than butter and trans fats."  So even though the scientific research on the subject is still a little thin, apparently there is enough evidence for some scientists to say that coconut oil is a healthier option for frying stuff than butter, margerine, bacon fat, Crisco, or any number of other less healthy choices.  Good enough for me. 

You are misinterpreting what I said. I was implying that you should never eat a fat just for intended health benefits because there really is no proof that there is any. Replacing less healthy options is a different animal yet it is still considered "healthier" to eat fats like olive oil than coconut oil. There was some talk of eating it straight. That is not a good idea.

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:11 AM »
 MCTs * are metabolized differently than most other fatty acids. There have been a few studies that show that there can be very specific situations were this is advantageous. IMO (with little basis) those situations are do not apply to a whole lot of people.

* Medium Chain Triglycerides = over 50% of coconut oil and about 0% of most other oils **

**Except for horse milk, but that's not my bag.
Itur ad astra

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »
A friend just texted me that it's good for avoiding Alzheimer's. I don't know where she got this info.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:03 PM »
A friend just texted me that it's good for avoiding Alzheimer's. I don't know where she got this info.

an SMS?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US