Author Topic: Dutch Oven/Cast Iron Skillet Questions  (Read 24900 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Dutch Oven/Cast Iron Skillet Questions
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Awesome - so now I have one skillet, one dutch oven, and a good amount of store credit at target. :D

Now to *use* them. :D
:D

i go there daily it seems :D I got a sled today for DD since it is going to snow again tomorrow and the last time i crammed her in the infant sled! LOL
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline debbatx

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Wish us luck - we're making chili in the dutch oven tonight. :)

And I did a little extra seasoning on the skillet today - it's purty. :D
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 06:55:57 AM »
Wish us luck - we're making chili in the dutch oven tonight. :)

And I did a little extra seasoning on the skillet today - it's purty. :D

Well?!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline debbatx

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 08:55:22 AM »
The chili came out great! A little soupier than usual, but not too bad. I think DH freaked out a little because you're not supposed to use as high a heat as you normally do, so he simmered it a little too low. Cleanup was a breeze with just one pot and everything washed off super easy. LOVED that.

Seasoning on the skillet looks good. We'll know more on Wednesday when I do chili baked potatoes. :)
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 12:47:30 PM »
This is one of my favorite things to make in a cast iron pan: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/dutch-baby-recipe/index.html

Offline debbatx

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »
 :o

Must....try....

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
If you do steaks, this gets as good of results as anything I've ever tried... and back in the day I tried them all.  I still do bison a couple of times a year, in fact I'm doing some tonight.  :D

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe/index.html

If you like eggs this is really good...

http://www.mediterrasian.com/delicious_recipes_chakchouka.htm
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
It's really good. We like it with powdered sugar and lemon squeezed over the top.

I also love to make corn bread in my cast iron pan- especially softer spoon bread/style.

It's also the absolute best for making pancakes.

Oh! And deep dish pizza.

Oh, I also like it for frying. You can definitely use a dutch oven for deep frying but it's also good in a skillet with 1-2 inches of fat.

I know... not the most healthy things. They're also really good for cooking steak, stew, pork chops and other meat where you want a nice char on the outside and they are great for braising.

Offline debbatx

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 01:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips!! We usually do steaks on the Foreman, but that's good to know about the skillet. I would *never* have thought of pizza!

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
Cornbread!

Offline debbatx

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 04:03:06 PM »
Yeah, that's definitely on the list!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »
I got a cast iron griddle for christmas (well actually a late wedding present) and was super upset to read on the instructions I cannot use it on my stupid flat topped stove.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:04:31 PM by Magic Microbe »

Offline debbatx

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
You can't? That would suck.

Made chili baked potatoes last night. The skillet worked beautifully!!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
You can't? That would suck.

Made chili baked potatoes last night. The skillet worked beautifully!!

well it takes two burners and excludes glass and ceramic topped electric stoves. Of course it didn't say this on the outside of the package. I can can still use it on the BBQ but I wanted it for the stove. Grrr!  >:( I HATE our stove!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
do you have a glass-topped stove?  we had one in a rental I lived in a few years ago and I HATED that thing.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:34 PM »
do you have a glass-topped stove?  we had one in a rental I lived in a few years ago and I HATED that thing.

Yes and I despise it.

Offline debbatx

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
Oh, that sucks. :( I'm so glad we don't have a glass-topped stove.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
I have glass top and think it is ok
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 11:46:16 PM »

Really?  I'm in the market for a new stove and I was thinking this would be a good thing.  What do you hate about it?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 01:12:02 AM »
Really?  I'm in the market for a new stove and I was thinking this would be a good thing.  What do you hate about it?

Everything. It stays hot for hours after you use it so you cannot set stuff from the oven on it. It scratches really easily (ours is all scratched up from the previous owners). Mine takes forever to heat up and cool down if you turn a burner down. I pretty much hate electric stoves... they suck to cook on. It is easy to wipe down though as long as you have waited the hours for it to cool down first.

+-SUPPORT US