Author Topic: Deep Fryer  (Read 4750 times)

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
Deep Fryer
« on: November 17, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
I was at the hardware store getting a new small rice cooker (my old one conked out after 2 years of almost daily use), and I saw a deep fryer on sale for $39. :e)
So I snagged it.

I love making sweet potato fries and currently toss them in a deep pan filled with hot oil until they turn brown. I know this will let me up my game for those fries- like flash fry them to make them crispy and start making my own batter for onion rings and tillapia.

A few questions:

1) Is there a way to make this all healthy, or should I realize there's no real way I can walk away from this healthfully and just accept it's junk food.
2) Any ideas for interesting batters you've played with? (I have panko and other bread crumbs in my pantry already)
3) Anything else I might enjoy deep frying? (I'm not such a fan of deep fried chicken, but if the right recipe came along and there was a way to make it not so greasy and unhealthy, I'd totally give it a try)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Re: Deep Fryer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
Healthy fried food? Ok then. ;)

I bought a small fryer and have used it maybe twice in two years. I don't fry stuff. I bought it for French fries but I usually just bake them. One thing I do love is fried cauliflower. Cut up the cauliflower "trees" and dip in egg then a flour/whatever spice you want mixture (I use Lawry's season salt) and fry. It's so good.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline wombleatwimbledon

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:55:01 PM »
I was at the hardware store getting a new small rice cooker (my old one conked out after 2 years of almost daily use), and I saw a deep fryer on sale for $39. :e)
So I snagged it.

I love making sweet potato fries and currently toss them in a deep pan filled with hot oil until they turn brown. I know this will let me up my game for those fries- like flash fry them to make them crispy and start making my own batter for onion rings and tillapia.

A few questions:

1) Is there a way to make this all healthy, or should I realize there's no real way I can walk away from this healthfully and just accept it's junk food.
2) Any ideas for interesting batters you've played with? (I have panko and other bread crumbs in my pantry already)
3) Anything else I might enjoy deep frying? (I'm not such a fan of deep fried chicken, but if the right recipe came along and there was a way to make it not so greasy and unhealthy, I'd totally give it a try)

icecream
samosas
spring rolls
wontons
onion rings
battered fish (beer battered)
corn fitters
donuts
beignets

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »

wontons

Better yet, take some wonton wrappers, put a tsp of nutella in the middle, fold and fry (sprinkle with touch of salt and powered sugar). 

This is when you are willing to throw health to the wind

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
tempura vegetables
Because PANTS

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:22 AM »
Empanadas, Martha stewart has a kick ass battered chicken finger recipe somewhere... Fried raviolis, fried zuccini sticks.

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
I did sweet potato fries yesterday.
Basically took raw sweet potato strips and tossed them in for 15.
 :( 15 minutes is too long, and they were overcooked.
They're going to be much much tastier next time.

And my girlfriend the dietitian thinks that for my heart's sake, I should just stick to onion rings, sweet potato fries and french fries. It's not ideal, but shouldn't do too much harm as a single serving every couple of weeks.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon

+-SUPPORT US