Author Topic: Spagetti Squash : Like Spagetti?  (Read 4932 times)

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
Spagetti Squash : Like Spagetti?
« on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »
Can I cook it and serve it under a ground meat and tomato sauce, or will it be gross?

Also: How would one cook that squash for such a dish? I've looked online and came back with roasting and microwaving.
I'd really rather roast, but will the taste pretty much be the same?
Also- is roasting fairly straight forward? Cut in half on a sheet, toss in at 450 for 30 mins?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Spagetti Squash : Like Spagetti?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
yes on the roasting, but i scoop out the seeds first.

It is spaghetti like, but i always get disappointed if i eat it thinking it will taste like spaghetti. I prefer to make dishes that are not spaghetti like. I made a good one recently with an avocado sauce!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
It looks like spaghetti but tastes like a yellow squash. It's watery. I've had it with a tomato and meat sauce and it was good, but not as good as spaghetti.

I think it would go really well with a runny cheese sauce, but I've never tried it.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »
I disapprove of using it as spaghetti. It is squash, it tastes like squash, and it should be served as squash.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »
here it is

http://pinterest.com/pin/229754018461493466/

and get on Pinterest already, HP!!!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »
I disagree.  I had it with sauce and veg meat crumbles the other night and it was delicious.  I like it lots of different ways, including with sugar and cinnamon.

Cut in half.  Scoop out seeds and string bits.

Put each half open side down in an oven dish with sides.  Put a bit of water in the bottom of each (not a lot, but enough so that it won't burn).  Cook at 350 for around 40 minutes (if you squeeze the outside, it should not be super firm anymore).

When cooled a little, use a fork to rake out the squash.  I mixed the sauce with crumbles, mixed a lot of it into the squash (more than I would use with spaghetti) and a bit of cheese on top.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:43 AM »
bake it, don't microwave... I bake it cut side up which reduces the watery-ness

I've served it with tomato & meat sauce, it's nice, but it's not spaghetti.  Usuallly I do a garlic-olive-oil-and other stuff sautee and mix it with the squash; other stuff could include spinach or some other dark leafy, roasted red pepper, goat cheese or feta cheese or grated parm, capers, olives, anchovies, pancetta or other cured pork product, etc.  not usually all of those things, but some combination.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »
 :drooling-5:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:50:11 AM »
I'm in the "if you treat it like spaghetti you'll be disappointed" group! The firs time I had it was with a really concentrated ratatouile and it was served sort of like a cornucopia with the roasted vegies spilling out. It was divine. mmm

I bought one last week to use in the egg recipe oaw posted in our last spaghetti squash thread: http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=76508.0

Offline crazypants

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »
That was pretty delicious. I made it with a boulanese sauce with turkey instead of beef and pork and it was delicious. It tasted much lighter, sweeter and nuttier than pasta. I'd definitely make it again.

Offline Miss

• The Runners
Spagetti Squash : Like Spagetti?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 08:41:57 PM »
My boys are not vegetable eaters but love it steamed, shredded with a little butter and salt.
"carpe fucking diem"

+-SUPPORT US